Weekend report

Dirtyhip

We took our new camper and went to the Siskiyou mountain range.  You drive in through this lush valley called the Applegate Valley.  Is is so beautiful.  You drive past these small family farms.  The are can be described as idyllic.

So, we get to camp.  It is our first time running a wet camp with the trailer.  It has been winterized up until this point.  We headed out on two full tanks of water 17 & 12 gallon.  At camp we primed the system.  In hindsight, we should have primed at home to fill up the water heater as well, but you know what they say about hindsight.  After priming the system we notice that we have drained both tanks just priming and that the water pressure is terrible.  After checking the inside for leaks and wondering why the hell there is no water left, I mean...we can't have that much water in the lines, we realize that we forgot to put a plug back in.  When we primed we drained out almost all the water on the ground.  The moist dirt on the backside of the camper told the tale of the missing water.  :)

Oh well, no showers this weekend, but it's cool...we can hang.  We brought jugs for emergency.

The breakfast we had planned was some nice omelettes.  I begin taking all the omelette ingredients out of the fridge.  I soon come to realize that I brought everything, except eggs.  We are camped in the center point of nowhere.  To get supplies will mean a 1.5 hour jaunt.  Oh well, we have food.  I bust into our emergency rations and find a box of max and cheese, so that was our breakfast.  We ended up eating mac n cheese, almonds and fruit for our pre-ride meal.  I do loves me some mac.

The Applegate area is steep. You are either climbing or descending.  All the flowers were in bloom.  It was so pretty.  Mile after mile is filled with lush flowers, ferns and to make things interesting...poison oak around every turn.  The trail is a side cut trail that needs more benching.  Many spots are very exposed.  A couple of sections are a tad scary, because not only has the erosion taken the trail down to about 8 inches in spots, their are some steep drops off the side of the mountain.  Off camber conditions with death on the left or right, depending on your direction of travel.  At one point I had knocked a cantaloupe sized rock off the side of the trail and it seemed to fall for days.  The sound of it tumbling down the mountain was a reminder to me to ride clean.  The corners were loose.  This area is also experiencing pretty bad drought conditions.

Dinner on Saturday was three course.  We brought NY steaks, potatoes and a couple giant heads of broccoli.  The meal was divine.  Having a camper is the best.  We get to eat comfortably and sleep in a bed that is as comfortable as our bed at home.  Falling asleep to the sound of the river rushing ... Bliss.

We rode for two days in the area.  We climbed almost 5,000 ft.  On Saturday, we saw two riders.  On Sunday, we saw none.  

Until next time,

The happy camper

• Heart 4

​Now you see folks, that's funny.

​Wait, I thought we weren't supposed to call attention to when this happens?  

Just like when I'm on a bike - I can't keep up.

DH, even though those are stock pics, did the scenery look just as nice?

​Wait, I thought we weren't supposed to call attention to when this happens?  

Just like when I'm on a bike - I can't keep up.

DH, even though those are stock pics, did the scenery look just as nice?

​Yes.  It was beautiful.  Even the poison oak was pretty.

The lake is much lower now.  That pic shows it at capacity.