Deflating a football is worse than beating a woman.

Former member

I think the harshness is because of the coverup.  If they (Tom, BB, whoever) had come out after the Indy game or maybe The SB and fessed up and said something like "It was gamesmanship. we won't do that anymore, we just kicked Indy'd butt. sorry." It might have been a slap on the wrist.  The NFL (or anybody for that matter) don't like to be lied to.

That said, it was a bit harsh - 4 games, $1m, and a first round pick.  This might get negotiated down.  I see it becoming 2 games, the fine is never paid, and the draft pick stays gone.  You know that there is history of teams never actually paying team fines to the NFL.  They just stretch it out for e v e r.

Opening night against my Steelers might not be as interesting.

• Heart 1

I think the harshness is because of the coverup.  If they (Tom, BB, whoever) had come out after the Indy game or maybe The SB and fessed up and said something like "It was gamesmanship. we won't do that anymore, we just kicked Indy'd butt. sorry." It might have been a slap on the wrist.  The NFL (or anybody for that matter) don't like to be lied to.

That said, it was a bit harsh - 4 games, $1m, and a first round pick.  This might get negotiated down.  I see it becoming 2 games, the fine is never paid, and the draft pick stays gone.  You know that there is history of teams never actually paying team fines to the NFL.  They just stretch it out for e v e r.

Opening night against my Steelers might not be as interesting.

I know you hate the Pats, but your post makes a lot of sense. 

The penalty handed down, will not hold up. 

I know you hate the Pats, but your post makes a lot of sense. 

The penalty handed down, will not hold up. 

​I don't hate the Pats.  I have a lot of respect for their organization and think Robert Kraft is a great guy.  I seldom root for them but I don't hate them.  I think they have cheated/pushed the envelope a few times but I hardly consider them the scourge of the NFL  As a Steelers fan that title is reservers for Cleveland.

• Heart 1

Well of course it is, doing something to beat 53 people versus one.  So given that, he got off really light, he should've been suspended for 106 games.

• Heart 2

Actually, the NFL has botched many things.  Goodell has egg on his face.  I'm not disappointed the Pats were nailed but it should be in line with everything else.  And clearly it's not.  I'd like to see these penalties stick but I'd like to have seen the other penalties prior to have been more severe.

Edited by dotman17

Actually, the NFL has botched many things.  Goodell has egg on his face.  I'm not disappointed the Pats were nailed but it should be in line with everything else.  And clearly it's not.  I'd like to see these penalties stick but I'd like to have seen the other penalties prior to have been more severe.

I think Goodell botched this one too. The Wells report cleared the team, and Belichick of any wrongdoing, but the penalty took 2 draft picks & fined them $1,000,000. 

Goodell fucked up again. The penalties will not stand. This isn't over. 

Was it over when the Nazis bombed Pearl Harbor?