Don't particular care for the F-bombs

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

I like to use the F Bomb.  But I can't really use it at work because it is inappropriate around newer nurses or patient family members, etc.  So I don't drop the F bomb at work.  I can't really drop it at home because the kids are there.  I can't really use it in the car because the kids are usually with me.

I do use it a lot in texts to my wife.  She can tell what kind of mood I am in from the context that I F bomb in.

I tend to agree with Mr. Kosciuszko.  People mistake the use of profanity as an expression of free speech and in some cases it is.  Often though profanity is a crutch that people fall back on when they can't think of a better word.  When used as a crutch, profanity is less an exercise of free speech but more a prison of illiteracy.

• Heart 2

Often though profanity is a crutch that people fall back on when they can't think of a better word.  When used as a crutch, profanity is less an exercise of free speech but more a prison of illiteracy.

For some people, maybe it is laziness, but for others it is simply the appropriate use of the language at the appropriate time in the appropriate context.  You may be the first to use it, you may be the last to use it, you might not use it at all.  Sometimes it is crass, sometimes harsh, sometimes poetic, often unnecessary.  But like any speech, we search for the particularly words or phrases that best convey our meaning, so sometimes it is just right to curse. I could be some sort of pansy-ass nancy-boy and say in 20 words what the use of a few will accomplish with greater clarity, but it would seem odd to completely eliminate vocabulary on principle.

I do think it is an art, though, and you gain facility by trying it out and calibrating context, just like any other word or group of words.  I actually used it more when it was asterisked-out.  The symbols, I felt, conveyed the same effect,  but softening it while shining a light on the meaning in more of a fun way.

I very rarely use profanity in real life and try to do this same here.  A good guideline would be is you would not say it to someone's face in real life, do not post it on the internet. 

Thanks for the reminder that our gentrified speech is the only thing that separates us from the animals.  Well, that and the opposable thumb.  But that is it.  

Oh, and walking upright and domesticating animals to be our slaves, and GMO's and all the cool stuff we build, like paint ball guns and dragsters and flat irons.

I would not have any problem using the occasional swear word in front of somebody outside of work. The only reason I don't say it at work is because I'd get fired or sued, not because I personally feel it's improper or vulgar, you can thank Christians and other fuddy-duddies for that. Certain words communicate in short what might otherwise be a lengthy statement. Others are expression of emotional feelings. I believe studies have shown that people who swear tend to relieve stress better than those who don't. We do it, even if it's just a 'yaarrgh!' in reaction to a frustration, and everybody does it from high up to the low end, so it's a function of the species and not some descent into neanderthalness. Generally, when I swear, I'm in a more relaxed environment with friends or alone. Not sure what it says about cursing when you don't do it when surrounded by competitors and/or enemies (work).

I'd love to think that not swearing means that a person has a greater vocabulary or command of the English language, or perhaps a greater refinement, but that's just not true at all.

Quick question for Olas or RG. Got kids? Would it be acceptable for your young child to say "F you, Dad!" When they didn't agree with something you told them to do? How about a teen child? Would you say the same to them? What about your own parents? Would you express that to them? Is it acceptable?

I'm not one to drop the F bomb in friendly talk but if I get pissed, I'll use it at every other word.

Don't really care for it but seems today it is used in humor adn too common in casual talk. No biggie but at a cozy restaurant or a family environment, I'd rather not here it.

I learned with 4 kids, even the ones you think would never say it, are the ones that are saying it ha ha! So I've overcome the "how would you like it if your kids..." becaue they are. I was pretty shocked when I herad my sweet innocent cute daughter drop the F bomb when she was like 4 years old.

Quick question for Olas or RG. Got kids? Would it be acceptable for your young child to say "F you, Dad!" When they didn't agree with something you told them to do? How about a teen child? Would you say the same to them? What about your own parents? Would you express that to them? Is it acceptable?

When they're younger? They very often don't understand the usage of it and are typically just aping behavior or a statement they heard an adult say, but if they use it properly, why not then? The 'shock' you might feel at a kid saying it is because of the prohibition in society towards it, not because it's beneath a man to say it. Doesn't mean I won't whip them into shape for defying my authority, but they can also defy me by using a paint pen to write some child graffiti on the 46" LED Tv too...they don't have to curse to do that. Cursing might be preferable since it's just a word...amazing that people don't get that.

Do you find it acceptable to teach your children about God when they're far too young to appreciate or understand most existential arguments? Aha....

Btw, some foreign language words sound like curse words to an English speaker....have you ever thought about why you're getting offended? This stuff is taught...nobody really experiences any particular revulsion unless it's taught to be. Our customer service people here watch a video with a segment on 'The Pumpkin Method', which is basically training them to not lose their shit over a word. Haven't you ever laughed at somebody who uses an old word like 'damn'? That was a slappable offense by your mother back in the day....

Well, that is a silly question, you already stated the context, you already know the answer.

Well, that is a silly question, you already stated the context, you already know the answer.

Not silly at all. I'm curious as to your opinion. You have a young child, I often wonder how much of what you say on these forums will transpose to how you view/raise your child. Seriously.

Yes Olas, I not only find it acceptable but appropriate to teach my children about God. But that wasn't my question. Nor did I desire for you to explain 'why' about words and society. I asked if 'you' could accept or find certain specific situations appropriate in your life. Can you? Do you? That all I'm asking.

Not silly at all. I'm curious as to your opinion. You have a young child, I often wonder how much of what you say on these forums will transpose to how you view/raise your child. Seriously.

No, it is an inordinately silly question.  If someone says "F you" to you, what do you suppose the context is?  

Yes Olas, I not only find it acceptable but appropriate to teach my children about God. But that wasn't my question. Nor did I desire for you to explain 'why' about words and society. I asked if 'you' could accept or find certain specific situations appropriate in your life. Can you? Do you? That all I'm asking.

I answered it and gave you the why too. I'm comprehensive. The comment about God was to put it in perspective.

No, it is an inordinately silly question. If someone says "F you" to you, what do you suppose the context is?

But "F you" is simply two words strung together. Why would it bother you. I could simply say "no" in the same context. No RG, not a silly question at all. And very appropriate in the context of this conversation.

But "F you" is simply two words strung together. Why would it bother you. I could simply say "no" in the same context. No RG, not a silly question at all. And very appropriate in the context of this conversation.

No, it is a silly question.  Ask a question, properly formed, that isn't rhetorical or excessively judgy, and you will get a proper answer.

I answered it and gave you the why too. I'm comprehensive. Stop being so offended by everything.

Offended? Please. You didn't answer my question(s). Not really. Your answer was basically 'why not'. If your child (name the age) days f you to you to express their reluctance to something you may have asked of them, do you find it acceptable?

No, it is a silly question. Ask a question, properly formed, that isn't rhetorical or excessively judgy, and you will get a proper answer.

Right. This is not what I expected of you. I didn't expect you to run. My question was formed exactly as I meant it. How you interpreted it (as you express here) is interesting. And is also relevant to this conversation.

Right. This is not what I expected of you. I didn't expect you to run. My question was formed exactly as I meant it. How you interpreted it (as you express here) is interesting. And is also relevant to this conversation.

Well, I answer all kinds of things, but your question is patently silly.  You could have said "Is it acceptable for a child to take a dump on you" or any other obvious question with an obvious answer.  I figure you can do better, and I am happy to answer a real question.

Offended? Please. You didn't answer my question(s). Not really. Your answer was basically 'why not'. If your child (name the age) days f you to you to express their reluctance to something you may have asked of them, do you find it acceptable?

Again, why not? They may say it jokingly, knowing that I'm asking them to do something stupid or silly like jump in a lake of fire, to which 'F you' would be appropriate but not meant as an offense or a violent remark. If we're arguing? Well then the argument will no doubt continue as any argument does. Maybe if it's uttered, the phrase is deserved? That would be new, huh?. You seem to think that just because my kid may or may not use the word is indicative of a poor education or manners or command of vocabulary. They will have the best of all that I can give them, and they may still curse, and if they're a man or woman of their own making of sorts and know when it's appropriate to really tell somebody off in the shortest manner possible, they should do it. There's a time for everything.

To tell you a story, I'm hanging out with some friends in Houston one weekend, and their kid sees their pet dog do something wrong, and the kid says "Piece of shit dawg" (Texas accent)....it was freaking hilarious, because we knew she got this from her Dad. For her, it was just something to say, and in a loving sort of way, she's emulating her Dad who she spends tons of good times with. And the kid loves that dog, or rather, that piece of shit dawg. I'm sure she's going to hell now tho.

Well, I answer all kinds of things, but your question is patently silly. You could have said "Is it acceptable for a child to take a dump on you" or any other obvious question with an obvious answer. I figure you can do better, and I am happy to answer a real question.

You have a real question from me. You can't answer it. Good enough. I know where you stand now.

Again, why not? They may say it jokingly, knowing that I'm asking them to do something stupid or silly like jump in a lake of fire, to which 'F you' would be appropriate but not meant as an offense or a violent remark. If we're arguing? Well then the argument will no doubt continue as any argument does. Maybe if it's uttered, the phrase is deserved? That would be new, huh?. You seem to think that just because my kid may or may not use the word is indicative of a poor education or manners or command of vocabulary. They will have the best of all that I can give them, and they may still curse, and if they're a man or woman of their own making of sorts and know when it's appropriate to really tell somebody off in the shortest manner possible, they should do it. There's a time for everything.

To tell you a story, I'm hanging out with some friends in Houston one weekend, and their kid sees their pet dog do something wrong, and the kid says "Piece of shit dawg" (Texas accent)....it was freaking hilarious, because we knew she got this from her Dad. For her, it was just something to say, and in a loving sort of way, she's emulating her Dad who she spends tons of good times with. And the kid loves that dog, or rather, that piece of shit dawg. I'm sure she's going to hell now tho.

You seem to attribute a lot to me. I'm honored.

However, you're reading way to much into this. But you answered, and your answer is consistent with other things you say. Thank you for that.

The answer you want Z, isn't the one you're getting.

You seem to attribute a lot to me. I'm honored.

However, you're reading way to much into this. But you answered, and your answer is consistent with other things you say. Thank you for that.

It's easy to read your prejudgment in the question you've posed. This is why RG is shooting you down

The answer you want Z, isn't the one you're getting.

It's easy to read your prejudgment in the question you've posed. This is why RG is shooting you down

You have no idea what answer I want. Because there isn't one that I want. I expect responses consistent with the personas you display here. Nothing more, nothing less. No prejudgment. Not on my part.

As much as you like to call things to the mat, it surprises me that you do what you accuse others of doing. And Olas, you do it all the time. It's amazing.

You have no idea what answer I want. Because there isn't one that I want. I expect responses consistent with the personas you display here. Nothing more, nothing less. No prejudgment. Not on my part.

As much as you like to call things to the mat, it surprises me that you do what you accuse others of doing. And Olas, you do it all the time. It's amazing.

I dunno about you, but I want to find a pole or something to impale myself on.