Ok, we are all going to die with the sun, where is the nearest analog to earth's situation?

Randomguy

Earth's current situation, that is.

Since the sun will kill us all very shortly (about a billion years or so, supposedly), humans will have to spread their brand of destruction somewhere else, but where?

To be in the Goldilocks zone, we need something like the sun, a planet not too close and not too far from that sun-like star, and liquid water, and we will need it all close enough to get to somehow.

How close would something like this potentially be?

I am worried that I may not be around to watch the sun die.  How can I feel better about this?

As I said. It's the digital age. Have RandomBaby digitally record it and play it on your grave in HD. Just make sure you have a usb compatible display device mounted in your headstone when you die.

Gliese 581 c is 20.3 light years away and is supposed to be in the habitable zone.  Its mass is 5 times that of earth so we'll all a lot heavier.  The problem I see is that it is orbiting a red giant which means the star might be older than our sun and it might die before our sun does.

Its mass is 5 times that of earth so we'll all a lot heavier.

not just alot heavier. a 200 pound human would be 1000 pounds there. Our bodies wouldn't be able to take it.

You'd be surprised how lucky we are that Earth is like it is and has stayed this way for a very long time

I know that odds are that something like earth exists out there, but probability being what it is, that also means there's a chance that there really isn't any place like earth out there either.

There is more to it than just temperature and water. I don't know what everyone understands about biochemistry, so I'll let that be, but we are really lucky that there is alot of iron here as well

We may not need to live on an Earth type planet. If we have the technology to replicate Earth conditions elsewhere with artificial gravity and other biospheres or whatever, then we could just build some monstrous space platform like the Death Star and live there. I bet the Death Star had some super huge greenhouses, or replicators or whatever.

We may not need to live on an Earth type planet. If we have the technology to replicate Earth conditions elsewhere with artificial gravity and other biospheres or whatever, then we could just build some monstrous space platform like the Death Star and live there. I bet the Death Star had some super huge greenhouses, or replicators or whatever.

Ooh, I hadn't thought about a deathstar scenario, that would work once the bugs are ironed out.  Also, maybe a "Wool" type scenario works as well, we could just stay here and live in enclosed environments with trapped water and a way to generate light and heat.

Life on the Deathstar

• Heart 1

not just alot heavier. a 200 pound human would be 1000 pounds there. Our bodies wouldn't be able to take it.

Gliese 581g is between 3 and 4 times the mass of earth and still in the happy zone.  We could survive but we'd all be complaining about our knees in a couple years.

What you are referring to are ships that create artificial worm holes. It's still worm holes.

I'm not sure it's the same thing......theoretically, a warp drive warps the membrane (M-theory here)...and when you warp it enough, you simply move from one apex to another at a sub-light speed, but it appears as faster than light travel to those on the membrane.

Now, for this to occur, a "bubble" of space must be created around the ship, otherwise, the ship would physically leave the universe, which I'm not sure is possible.

I'm not sure it's the same thing......theoretically, a warp drive warps the membrane (M-theory here)...and when you warp it enough, you simply move from one apex to another at a sub-light speed, but it appears as faster than light travel to those on the membrane.

Now, for this to occur, a "bubble" of space must be created around the ship, otherwise, the ship would physically leave the universe, which I'm not sure is possible.

From the PBS special I watched on it a year or two ago, it sounds like you are describing almost the exact same thing. The ship creates an artificial worm hole, but then has to create a "bubble" of space around the ship for protection. The trick is being able to know the curve of space (on both sides) to know where you would come out on the other side.

From the PBS special I watched on it a year or two ago, it sounds like you are describing almost the exact same thing. The ship creates an artificial worm hole, but then has to create a "bubble" of space around the ship for protection. The trick is being able to know the curve of space (on both sides) to know where you would come out on the other side.

My luck, I'd come out right in the middle of a star.