Century Rides - my first year on the road

SpeedDemon

I am 50 years old and in fairly good shape. This was my first year of cycling. I put in about 3,000 miles.

Quite honestly, these century rides are killing me. I did 4 this year. Each one a little easier, but toward the end of each ride I am toast.

CRW Spring Century: 105 miles at 13.8 mph (Not bad since I barely had time to train. It was in May in New England, which is basically still winter.)

Mount Washington Century: 108 miles at 14.3 mph

Ride for Angels Century: 101 miles at 15.3 mph

GSW Seacoast Century: 101 miles at 15.3 mph

Around mile 70 I start to lose it mentally and physically. Bad attitude, crankiness, whining, complaining, sometimes even crying. When I look at my speeds for each 5 mile segment, they go from pretty fast for me (17+ mph) down to wicked slow (11 mph).

Next year my goals are: 18 mph, no major decline in performance during the ride.

BTW, "SpeedDemon" is meant to be sarcastic.

• Heart 1

Do you eat something solid during the ride? I get the same low around mile 70. After so many centuries I learned to eat something at mile 65, keep the pace down for 5 miles or so. I swear at mile 95, I'm able to sprint or push the pace as if I were at mile 25.

I drink water and Gatorade. I don't use gels, maybe a Clif Bar at mile 30 (knowing it's a century) then a turkey sandwich or equiv at mile 65. Works every time!

On a century with 10,000 ft gain, I'll eat @ rest stops, banana, maybe some cookies. But always the sandwich at mile 65.

I do the climbing centuries@ 230 lbs and figure 10,000 ft of elevation gain at 13.3 total time (14.0 ride time) ain't too shabby.

Gina did the same thing on her flat century last year and managed 16.5 averaged. She had the same low about 60 miles in, we ate and she was holding 18 mph 90 miles in the ride.

Gina did an 18.3 average on a 7.5 segment of Strava which was 90 miles into our ride. :D...........eat something solid if you don't already.

I've never done a 100 mile century. I've done some metric centuries and a 77 mile ride, but I've never done a full 100 miler.  I, too,  get a little whiny/gnarly around mile 65 or so... and I eat plenty!  Ha!  

I really should suck it up and do a 100 miler. There is one fairly locally the end of June: Menominee River Century Ride.  I should do it next year instead of just doing the 77 mile route. I can guarantee you, however, that I will NOT be posting numbers like Gina. Dang, girl!  :)

I, too,  get a little whiny/gnarly around mile 65 or so... and I eat plenty!  Ha!  

I really should suck it up and do a 100 miler. There is one fairly locally the end of June: Menominee River Century Ride.  I should do it next year instead of just doing the 77 mile route. I can guarantee you, however, that I will NOT be posting numbers like Gina. Dang, girl!  :)

But you haven't gone past the point where your sandwich intake would show your refuel and pace recovery point. For me, it's mile 80 that I will begin to feel fresh again.

Don't be surprised if you post good numbers. Gina's numbers aren't great but surprise me I must say. One thing that really helps is controlling the pace. Especially on an organized century. Many riders will race out of the gate only to fade in later miles. I hold back, even cruise on the first 30 miles or so. Later, I will roll by a gang of riders that blew by me at mile 5-10 like they were on EPO.

Just control yourself on the first 1/4 of the ride, you'll do great! I honestly think many riders kill themselves on the first 25% then have a hard time recovering on the remainder resulting in a lower overall average. I've ridden with riders that say the pace seems somewhat too easy but at the end of the ride, they are surprised that our average speed is higher than they have ever done in the past.

Smudge, you can do the numbers if you ride with someone that helps you control the pace intelligently. Don't shoot out of the gate with all the hyper riders at the start line.

That is exactly what my coach tells me: eat, eat, eat, especially simple carbohydrates. I do notice the difference when I do eat. The problem is that once I start going down the path of crankiness, I completely lose my appetite.

This last century, I ate one Hammer Perpetuem solid every 5 miles, plus I ate cookies, oranges and one gel at every stop. I also used Endurolytes Fizz in every water bottle. That got me to mile 90 before I became super-cranky.

• Heart 1

First off, I've done the Mt. Washington Century a few times and it is without a doubt my favorite ride. I plan on doing it next year with a friend of mine as part of training for the Timberman Half-Ironman a month later in August.

As far as crankiness goes. I'm not sure it's not related to how much food you are taking in. I eat regularly during century plus events, but not excessively. Pretty much my intake is the equivalent of having the gel or a half pack of Shot Blocks every half hour. And my liquid intake is on par with normal.

My question is how much effort are you expending on a century ride. What I have learned from training this year is that there is a threshold that I need to stay below (I do mine by heart rate). I don't try and stay at a certain speed any more, but rather I keep my heart rate just below a certain level. Below this level I can ride all day long and not get depleted. Go above a certain level and I know I am hurting performance down the line somewhere. (Zone Training)

If you go out too hard, or if you work too hard on those hills you can completely deplete glycogen stores too soon and then you bonk (and get cranky). Exerting yourself too much and no amount of calorie intake will stop the inevitable.

• Heart 1

That is exactly what my coach tells me: eat, eat, eat, especially simple carbohydrates. I do notice the difference when I do eat. The problem is that once I start going down the path of crankiness, I completely lose my appetite.

This last century, I ate one Hammer Perpetuem solid every 5 miles, plus I ate cookies, oranges and one gel at every stop. I also used Endurolytes Fizz in every water bottle. That got me to mile 90 before I became super-cranky.

That sounds like almost too much to me. However I get most of my calories from sports drinks out of the water bottle and not all that much solids. I have plenty of fat stores to get calories from.  :unhappy:

Do you happen to weigh yourself before and after the ride? It's possible that you are dehydrated. If you lose more than 2 lbs, you are behind on liquids. The rule of thumb is a pound per pint. 

Another possibility is that you are going out too hard and it's catching up with you. You certainly don't want to be going anaerobic for any length of time. 

I am just like those snickers commercials. I get cranky as hell when I am hungry!

I am with Mr. Beanz in terms of intake during the ride. I keep most of my calories to real food. Though  I keep gels with me for boosts.

For the centuries I always look for a sandwich. My goto though is a tuna on a roll. The mayo, pickles and cheese make the last 30 to 35 a breeze.

• Heart 1

Just control yourself on the first 1/4 of the ride, you'll do great!

Smudge, you can do the numbers if you ride with someone that helps you control the pace intelligently. Don't shoot out of the gate with all the hyper riders at the start line.

Yup. I have learned that lesson.  I used to get all jacked up and excited about doing the ride and would start out passing everyone. This last MRCR of 77 miles was my best; I had no computer and left the ego at home. Best time ever on that ride! The last 10 miles is where I realized I had to actually work. Before that, I was bee-boppin' through like a tourist. I even saw a road that I wanted to explore at around mile 60; I nixed that idea because I had 17 scheduled miles to go.

Ok, I agree. I'll do the 100 miles of the Menominee River Century Ride next June. Good nutrition/fuel. Ample/smart hydration. Smart pace.  Ya, it's time to kick it up a notch.

• Heart 1

• 2 weeks later...