what tires, how many miles

What tires do you use and how many miles do you get out of them. 

I'm using Serfas rs folding road tires and I don't get a lot of miles out of them.

I'm looking for something better. 

Conti 4000's.  Whoo hoo! Love these tires! Super reliable, roll really well. They are a little tough to install; but I'm a girl, and I can do it. Just make sure they are warm. Ya, nice tires. Make me feel really confident in hard turns. And confident I won't need to call SAG because of tire related issues.

• Heart 1

Another Conti 4000 GP user. Recently I changed a rear tire with over 5K miles on it because the cord started poking though. I don't remember that tire ever having a flat. There were not patches on the tube nor a boot where something came through the tire.

• Heart 1

• 3 months later...

I have no idea how many miles I get out of tires.

Maxxis minions DH 2.5" on the front, 2.3 on the back. Love 'em on Stumpy

Some cheap tires on the commuter. 

Triggers on the Crux.

45 NRTH Husker Du 4" on Helga

Speaking of tire wear, my husband sliced two tires in about two months. Brand new tires got sliced sidewalls from lava rock.

Edited by Dirtyhip

• 3 weeks later...

Continental 4Season.  I squeezed close to 5,000 miles out of the last set I had (threads were showing on the rear tire)   No troubles at all.  I replaced them with Specialized Armadillos all condition because I had one in the basement (don't remember why I had it, I just did).  Those roll nice but not as good as the Contis.

• Heart 1

• 1 year later...

I just put on a set of Zip Tangente Course tires. I've got about a hundred miles on them and love them! I'll get back to you about how they wear, but the ride quality is excellent!

Ive averaged about 2-3,000 miles on a set of tires up till now.

• 1 year later...

I ride Bontrager Hard Case tires on my road bike and my touring bike. Many thousands of miles over the past 13 years. Not sure of the miles because of computer batteries dying and losing my mileage. I’m inconsistent on using Strava. I have never had a flat on those tires other than two broken valve stems at home as I was unhooking the floor pump. I’m only on the second set of tires on each bike.

On 6/10/2018 at 5:46 PM, Square Wheels said:

I still have not worn out a tire.

:(

Is that even possible?  Or do you just swap them out a lot before they wear out?

In any case, I just swapped on a new GP 4000 II to replace my worn GP 4000S front tire.  I had already swapped out the rear last season to the II's, and the front finally wore enough to justify new rubber.

Mileage definitely varies for me on the various tires I ride, and since I swap on different wheelsets occasionally, I no longer bother tracking tire mileage.  I'd say 3k to 4k is "normal" for the Contis - and not too much difference between the Gatorskins and GP 4000 lines in wear, but the Gatorskins were fabulous as tougher yet relatively fast tires. The GP's seem to ride a little nicer with close to Gatorskin resilience.  My Conti 4Seasons don't get too much use, but they are pretty comfy since they are a little wider (28 vs 25) and I run them at a lower PSI (70-75 vs 85-90).

Tom

6 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Is that even possible?  Or do you just swap them out a lot before they wear out?

I seem to get the small punctures everyone gets, if needed I boot them and replace the tube.  Far from them wearing out I always seem to get a large gash in them that is far beyond booting.  Gotta love people who throw bottles out the window.

...the Conti Gran Prix are good tyres, and sometimes when they 're on sale I buy them.  I can't think of a reason to complain about them except price when not on special sale.

Right now I've been buying more Vittoria Rubino Pro's in the 700x25 size, because they wear a little better, have a slightly higher top inflation pressure rating, and seem at least as good in terms of road response (to me). And they seem to always be on sale from a number of online vendors.  I have no brand loyalty at all when it comes to bicycle tyres.  Everyone seems to make some cheaper crappy ones, and also some very good ones.

I just find it difficult to understand why in many cases they cost about as much as a radial car tyre.  This makes no sense to me at all.

5 hours ago, Page Turner said:

I just find it difficult to understand why in many cases they cost about as much as a radial car tyre.  This makes no sense to me at all.

I think it is simply the low volume sold. If they sold more, I would expect the economics of scale to take over and the price to drop.

2 hours ago, donkpow said:
8 hours ago, Page Turner said:

I think it is simply the low volume sold. If they sold more, I would expect the economics of scale to take over and the price to drop.

It is wild when you look at it from that perspective.  I rarely replace my car tires, but I think they run relatively close to "full" price Contis (msrp).  I wouldn't pay that full price, but it still is a bit crazy. Especially considering the tech involved to spin a car tire safely at 120+mph for 30k miles vs a bike tire safely at 50mph for 5k miles.  Are motorcycle tires crazy expensive too?

Tom