Sept 22 Miles and such

Airehead

Ran a 7.5 leg in the Rochester Marathon.  Until last night I was back and forth between the relay and the 1/2 but in the end, the person who wanted my spot on the relay didn't really want to run it.  So I ran with a team of great people. We aren't fast but we knew we could finish before they opened the roads to traffic    

I had Leg 3 so I stood around at the start and froze.  Then I got into the team car and raced to the first transition.  I thought we had more time and was in line for the porta potty when the 1 runner came into view.  I lost my spot in line to see them exchange and the 2 runner was off.  Our one runner typically runs in the 13 pace group with me for long runs.  She came in at 11:30 for her 6.2 miles.  She was happy and I was happy for her.

Back into the rocking team car which was actually a  TrailBlazer and actually held non-running members of two teams.

I finally got to hit a porta potty and then we could see the two runners coming down the canal path.  I quickly shed my long pants and sweatshirt.  A transition happened pretty durn quick and I was off along with a guy from the other team.  Our first mile was 10:28.  I realized that since the goal was for us to both finish together we better slow down a bit.  The first three miles were flat canal and totally forgettable.  Mile 4 had us going up a pretty steep hill to get over a lock.  There was a boat in that lock which was cool.  We then went through the town of Pittsford which was full of spectators so we picked up the pace and smiled!

Up another hill and over another lock.  This again was pretty cool.   Ralph started to have some pain in his foot but he didn't really slow down too much.  About this time, the winds picked up and were strong and steady directly hitting our faces.  I could have done without that because it made me cold.

He mentioned as we went under a bridge that we had one more bridge to go.  Then I saw it in the distance but then it was gone.  I accused him of creating a bridge mirage.  About this same time, I tried to grab my bottle out of my fuel belt.  The cap was up, I squeezed it, and a stream of water went down my butt.  Not fun!

Up ahead, we saw our two teams and a bunch of other spectators so of course we had to smile and look strong.

I did my 7.5 mile leg at about 11:20 pace.  I am happy with that because we were faster then the leg one folks and it really was a fun run.