Post Your Best Pics Here

UglyBob

tell me more - why are you standing on Ganesha

I'm writing a series of books about someone who has always been kind of a "goo boy" all of his life and hasn't really experienced anything for himself. The idea is that he's built up quite a balance of in his "Bank of Good Karma" and, after a life altering event, decides to make some changes. As he sets out into the world, he begins to kill off some of the good karma, hence the title of the first book, "Killing Karma". Ganesha will be featured on each cover in different situations, but no harm will ever come to him. The figurine sits on the shelf above my laptop as I write . . . kind of like my guide to the process.

Here's the actual book description as it will appear on the book jacket:

James McCarthy has never colored outside the lines. Walking a narrow path prescribed by his overprotective mother, the freelance journalist has always done the right thing for the right reasons, even when no one is watching. If good karma were money, he would be a very rich man. After life throws him a curve-ball, James decides it’s time to stretch his wings and start making a few withdrawals from his “Bank of Karma.”

I'm two chapters into the second book now. The first one is going through final edits as I write this.

• Heart 1

I'm writing a series of books about someone who has always been kind of a "goo boy" all of his life and hasn't really experienced anything for himself. The idea is that he's built up quite a balance of in his "Bank of Good Karma" and, after a life altering event, decides to make some changes. As he sets out into the world, he begins to kill off some of the good karma, hence the title of the first book, "Killing Karma". Ganesha will be featured on each cover in different situations, but no harm will ever come to him. The figurine sits on the shelf above my laptop as I write . . . kind of like my guide to the process.

Here's the actual book description as it will appear on the book jacket:

James McCarthy has never colored outside the lines. Walking a narrow path prescribed by his overprotective mother, the freelance journalist has always done the right thing for the right reasons, even when no one is watching. If good karma were money, he would be a very rich man. After life throws him a curve-ball, James decides it’s time to stretch his wings and start making a few withdrawals from his “Bank of Karma.”

I'm two chapters into the second book now. The first one is going through final edits as I write this.

sounds really interesting!  take care of Ganesh, you know he is the remover of obstacles, you may need him....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 years later...

Old thread but this is it, photo thread.

I discovered the joys of going full manual with a camera. Low end Canon Rebel T3. No fancy nothin', just a basic camera but with the full manual settings, I've found it really cool to get the camera to do what I want and not what it wants. As they put it.

I took a few shots at night and really dig it as the darkness seems to enhance the lines of the structures. I really like this aspect of the images. A tripod at night, a little bit of light and a few seconds on the shutter speed, pretty cool images imo.

Then the truck was a car show where I took the pic then added some HDR using editing programs like Lightroom and Photoshop working with layers.

Learning full manual settings was like WTF at first. Then when I stared messing with the camera, it started to make sense. :D

I got a couple new lenses that work well. One is a 55-250 lens. Works better than the kit lens I got with the package. Then a fixed 50 mm lens. Works really well but sometimes too well ha ha ha! Take a pic of a person and too many times you get too much detail ha ha ha! 

The river in Laughlin Nevada.

000Laughlinscene1.jpg

Hotel in Laughlin. I was on top of the next hotel over. Freezing out late night and windy.

000Laughlinscene2.jpg

Claremont Train Station, Claremont Ca.

IMG_2638-2.JPG

Car show and some HDR layering.

IMG_4979c.JPG

IMG_5419.JPG

Got a new lens few months ago. Moon was low, found an open spot and got a decent shot. 55-250 mm lens.

IMG_5606A.JPG

Laughlin again.

IMG_7992A-3.JPG

Town square in my hometown.

IMG_8827A.JPG

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Envious 1

Don't know where to start, but this will be a little different. A few locations I wrote about in the book - obviously a commercial venture - allowed personal photography or video, but required a license for commercial shoots. Not a problem for wedding and aother commissioned photography where just add the fee on...but this is speculative that the book would even sell.

Did notice that universally when they had the restriction, always just photography and video, but excluded painting. So out came the brushes- digital in this case - applying acrylics or oils. This one is more along the lines of photo realistic with fine brush detail of the subject.

Actual base photo and painterly result. Alter interpretation is somewhat ironic as the title of of Albin Polasek's sculpture is "Man Carving His Own Destiny" 

Photo Statue 2000px.jpg

Statue 2-2000px.jpg

• Heart 1

I just like taking pics of stuff!

Car show. Took a pic  of this big engine. I like the cars but bad thing about them is that it's hard to get a pic of a car alone. Always a messy background or washed out concrete that makes the background look blah!

29355134_1984684064937415_5081292245881287191_o.jpg

This was a little purple jar and the lid laying next to it, for the pic. I was walking around the mall one day and stopped at the See's candy store to pick up a couple of suckers for Gina. She likes them, to me a waste of energy ha ha! So I picked up some and then saw the jar. Bought it too then a silk flower thing that was there. Took it home and she was happy to get it. But before she got home, I used it to take a few shots just to see what would come out of it ha ha ha!

29749712_1993654897373665_1591618965403649798_o.jpg

One of my watches. Just messing with the background trying to figure out how to get it blacked out. Dark blue blanket over a dining table chair so that I could get it with no lines or creases.

30425476_2019415988130889_4030729113953605638_o.jpg

It was the Blood Red Wolf Moon or something like that.  Just trying to get a shot because everybody was talking about it.

50031987_2535195529886263_5933372451839803392_n.jpg

My buddy Ruben. Amazing guy and artist. Arthritis as a child. Was just about normal when he was 10. Then it took it's toll on his body. Now in a wheelchair and his hands are like little bear paws. His legs are real short and barely go half way down the wheelchair. Motorized wheelchair with the little joy stick. He is totally disabled but a darn good artist. The dude water paints and turns the canvas upside down rotating it to get to all sides seeing his reach is about 6 inches.

Amazing artist! He had a display at the local mall and along the local art district. This was a show he did so I went and took a few pics just to mess around. Using a little Bokeh to get a different kind of shot using his little Scrabble style nameplate at his table.

79833059_3419334491472358_762607615619366912_n.jpg

He asked me if I would help him make a video. Sure, figured out what kind of format. Instead of asking questions like a host, I figured it would be cool if he answered the questions on his own, solo effort.  He said plenty of people ask him questions as a disable artist and he wanted to make a video to inform people of his situation. I came  up with the questions mostly and he answered them. Amazing guy!

Gina sees these little costumes when we walk the mall. I think this was at Hot Topic for about $10. Vail, headband, bikini type top, Sequins bottoms and a sheer type skirt.  She liked it so hey, buy it and I'll take a few pics. A little fun and entertainment for $10. 

45204927_2373711849367966_622685526805184512_n.jpg

This is an antique store down the street. They have a couple of old broken down vehicles in the parking lot. Pretty cool stuff. I've seen them out there for years and finally figured I'd take a shot or two.  Took the pic but didn't care for the background washed out sky. So I took a pic of a nicer sky when I got the chance then manipulated the images as layers and replaced the sky. 2 pics making up one. Kind of neat to be able to change the background as not all shots have a decent backdrop. Playing around with layers as well going HDR. 

The shot

94350652_3885642774841525_6538685716400963584_n.jpg

Replaced the sky

93991556_3885642798174856_778937901617512448_n.jpg

Layers HDR style.

94431742_3884991651573304_8506401867549376512_n.jpg

And the Patton Museum at Chiriaco Summit on a road trip to AZ.

89091132_3713248378747633_8411361366639640576_n.jpg