Food for thought

SuzieQ

wild turkeys have a good chance. You city folk think hunting is like going to the grocery store, but turkeys have exceptionally good eyesight and they are surprisingly smart

I disagree on the smart part, I've seen them attack cars, also seen one hit by a boat as it was "flying" across a reservoir.  But they are hard to hunt, and takes a good shot, shoot them at the wrong time (wings down) and it's like shooting something with body armor.

I'm a very passive animal eater.  In principle I don't agree with it.  Nor do I agree with hunting.  I do eat meat, and I love it.

I suspect someday I may become a vegetarian.

If you don't agree with it then you should quit eating it..... it's really not that hard.  Animal factory farming and slaughter sucks!

If you don't agree with it then you should quit eating it..... it's really not that hard.  Animal factory farming and slaughter sucks!

I guess I'm still angry about needing to be gluten free (Celiac).  If I had to give up other food that would be hard, meat in particular.

Slowly over time I have been eating less and less meat.

Does that mean no more leather shoes / belts / seats in my car too?

Not a fan of the factory farming, but slaughter is what it is, may seem cruel to some, but it's all about being efficient and cost effective.  When we take cattle in to be butchered, we don't ask about what methods they use, all we care about is how much it cost and how good of job they did with the finished product.

I guess I'm still angry about needing to be gluten free (Celiac).  If I had to give up other food that would be hard, meat in particular.

Slowly over time I have been eating less and less meat.

Does that mean no more leather shoes / belts / seats in my car too?

My feeling is you do as much as you can.... I try to make my footprint as light as possible, but I'm in no way perfect

When we take cattle in to be butchered, we don't ask about what methods they use, all we care about is how much it cost and how good of job they did with the finished product.

This is just wrong.... every creature deserves respect

I have a 9.86 pound bird in my freezer already....I realize raising poultry isn't a pleasant process. Minnesota raises tons of Turkeys.  As to wild ones...I see them quite often they were about as rare as Eagles for awhile...but they are everywhere now include in the city...not just the burbs.

I guess I am not ready to give up eating turkey once a year. :(

This is just wrong.... every creature deserves respect

Everyones definition of what is respectful is different, you shouldn't force your definition on others and when you haven't tried to make a living doing the job, you need to temper your opinion.

I grew up raising hogs (we do a few cattle now) and it drives me nuts when people go off about hogs in farrowing crates.  They say it is inhumane, but growing up around it and understanding why it's done, it's really is the best option, and honestly, the pigs don't mind.  Often there is a reason why things are done the way they are, so don't be so quick to judge unless you really understand why and know what the alternative is and ramifications of those are.

I disagree on the smart part,

around here we say "how can something so stupid for 11 months of the year be so smart during hunting season?"

They are hard to hunt, and so we say they are smart so that we don't feel so bad about coming home with an empty sack

I'm a very passive animal eater.  In principle I don't agree with it.  Nor do I agree with hunting.  I do eat meat, and I love it.

I suspect someday I may become a vegetarian.

I totally agree with hunting for meat.  Makes sense to go out and kill something organic to eat, something that ate the food that nature intended it to eat just has to be healthier.

• Heart 1

Everyones definition of what is respectful is different, you shouldn't force your definition on others and when you haven't tried to make a living doing the job, you need to temper your opinion.

I grew up raising hogs (we do a few cattle now) and it drives me nuts when people go off about hogs in farrowing crates.  They say it is inhumane, but growing up around it and understanding why it's done, it's really is the best option, and honestly, the pigs don't mind.  Often there is a reason why things are done the way they are, so don't be so quick to judge unless you really understand why and know what the alternative is and ramifications of those are.

Wth are you talking about?

I'm in no way forcing my definition on others.... it's just my opinion.  And even though I may understand why animals are handled in a certain way does not mean I agree with it, and there are always alternatives, but $$ has more power than anything 

I'm in no way forcing my definition on others.... it's just my opinion.  And even though I may understand why animals are handled in a certain way does not mean I agree with it, and there are always alternatives, but $$ has more power than anything 

When you are trying to make a living off of it, it isn't so much as money more power, it is more about just surviving.  We got out of hog farming not because we wanted to, but because we were forced to as we struggled to make enough money to keep a roof of our heads.  Otherwise, I would probably be on a farm now instead of sitting at a desk staring at a computer screen.

Just because you don't agree with something, doesn't mean it isn't right.  If people would remember that in general, instead of trying to force their beliefs on everyone else, the world would be a better more peaceful place.

When you are trying to make a living off of it, it isn't so much as money more power, it is more about just surviving.  We got out of hog farming not because we wanted to, but because we were forced to as we struggled to make enough money to keep a roof of our heads.  Otherwise, I would probably be on a farm now instead of sitting at a desk staring at a computer screen.

Just because you don't agree with something, doesn't mean it isn't right.  If people would remember that in general, instead of trying to force their beliefs on everyone else, the world would be a better more peaceful place.

I don't think I have ever tried to force my beliefs on anyone else.... in fact this is probably the first time I have brought this subject up on this forum.  Just because a person states their opinion does not mean they are trying to force other to have the same.

I don't think I have ever tried to force my beliefs on anyone else.... in fact this is probably the first time I have brought this subject up on this forum.  Just because a person states their opinion does not mean they are trying to force other to have the same.

I agree, SQ is not that way.  She even made an awesome crockpot dish that had meat in it when I was out there visiting.

Did I mention it was awesome?

Btw, I still miss my pants.  Is it just the one pair, or did I leave a pair of jeans there, too?

I agree, SQ is not that way.  She even made an awesome crockpot dish that had meat in it when I was out there visiting.

Did I mention it was awesome?

Btw, I still miss my pants.  Is it just the one pair, or did I leave a pair of jeans there, too?

Just one pair, and I think they miss you too :)

Sorry, I was rambling and on my soap box, so don't think all of that was necessarily directed out you.  I wanted to be a farmer and at time still miss it, so I tend to get a little fired up on such issues as the livestock part was the part I like the most despite that being the most frustrating and hardest type, just doing the ground is easy and boring.

Sorry, I was rambling and on my soap box, so don't think all of that was necessarily directed out you.  I wanted to be a farmer and at time still miss it, so I tend to get a little fired up on such issues as the livestock part was the part I like the most despite that being the most frustrating and hardest type, just doing the ground is easy and boring.

No worries.... I understand how you feel, I also grew up on a farm and wanted to be a farmer... the only difference was that we grew bananas, pineapples, and passion fruit :D

No worries.... I understand how you feel, I also grew up on a farm and wanted to be a farmer... the only difference was that we grew bananas, pineapples, and passion fruit :D

Probably a lot easier to move pens and less worries about them getting out when you don't want to, but man the Border Collies and Australian Shepherds would be bored herding fruit all day.  I used to have some awesome herding dogs, though my father would argue since he didn't know how to tell them what he wanted them to do.

My current Border is just good at herding my wife, which she really doesn't like, but I find it quite funny when she's trying to get around him and he keeps cutting her off around the kitchen island.

• Heart 1

Probably a lot easier to move pens and less worries about them getting out when you don't want to, but man the Border Collies and Australian Shepherds would be bored herding fruit all day.  I used to have some awesome herding dogs, though my father would argue since he didn't know how to tell them what he wanted them to do.

My current Border is just good at herding my wife, which she really doesn't like, but I find it quite funny when she's trying to get around him and he keeps cutting her off around the kitchen island.

Our dogs had fun chasing the monkey away from stealing fruit :D   I think your collies would have had a frustrating time trying to herd monkeys!

Our dogs had fun chasing the monkey away from stealing fruit :D   I think your collies would have had a frustrating time trying to herd monkeys!

That's probably why the current one herds the wife and not the kid. 

• Heart 1

I totally agree with hunting for meat.  Makes sense to go out and kill something organic to eat, something that ate the food that nature intended it to eat just has to be healthier.

Strip clubs do not count by going out and hunting.. trapping a pecker and gobbling it is another story.. (sorry I could not resist, and I agree to having a dirty mind:) )