So, will racial identity be the next LGBT?

jsharr

People do not understand that Race is not an identity... The only race there is belongs to everyone, and it is the human race.. why should be say they are a certain type of ethnicity and blame their bad luck on it... if someone strives for their goals, then they will succeed. 

Edited by Krazy ™
  • Heart 2

People do not understand that Race is not an identity... The only race there is belongs to everyone, and it is the human race.. why should be say they are a certain type of ethnicity and blame their bad luck on it... if someone strives for their goals, then they will succeed. 

​If this is true, how and why do we need NAACP, LULAC, etc?  

​And I greatly respect your input here, seriously?

I just want to know where it ends?

If I feel more like a cow or a dog inside, can I just say I am a dog and pee in the park or chew my cud wherever I please?

​If this is true, how and why do we need NAACP, LULAC, etc?  

​It is for the whiny sissy pants people who think race really does matter, and they are also the people who will not let the race card die. They are the people who keep screaming brutality when it was never the case...

​And I greatly respect your input here, seriously?

I just want to know where it ends?

If I feel more like a cow or a dog inside, can I just say I am a dog and pee in the park or chew my cud wherever I please?

​It will not end until we can get people to forget about it mattering... I have seen this way too much in school. Our school is an "EQUAL" school.. no one gets treated different.. the teachers are supposed to leave the racism BS out of the class rooms, but every time I take a class that is taught by and African American woman, the "Black history" BS starts.. The teachers are told not to teach it, but they still bring that crap up.

I got kicked out of class for telling the teacher how it is on race and how it should be now a days... Everyone is equal, slavery has been dead for many of years, and so on... I got kicked out for that... in return... the rest of the class walked out and were happy about how I took care of the situation. 

The next day of class the teacher tried to bring me down. I was the only white person in class, and also the only male student.. She brought it to my attention as a father of white children, how would I want then to be in an all black school.. 
I brought a photo put of my wallet of my kids, handed it to her, and told her that my "WHITE" kids are hispanic.. bother were adopted and one is 1/2 to 3/4 black... not African American, but black since his after is native american.  And again I got kicked out of class for standing my ground... I noticed my grades slipping from there out. 

Everything was taken care of in the end when I went inform of the board of education and had my grades made to an A and the other people of the class were right there with me to back up her crap. 

Anyways... what were you saying? you want to be a dog and hump guy's legs? 

• Heart 1

According to this CNN opinion piece it's fine

http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/15/opinions/rich-rachel-dolezal/index.html

Rachel Dolezal has a right to be black

From the arrival:

"The outing of Dolezal seems ironic given the recent public embrace of Caitlyn Jenner, the transgender woman formerly known as Bruce Jenner. Jenner seems to have ushered in an era of greater tolerance about the constructed nature of identity. After all, when a transgender woman is elevated to the cover of Vanity Fair, it's as though we have reached a tipping point.”

It could not be the reason nobody gives a shit anymore about gender, and society is just used to it...

Who do you feel you have to accept and embrace, Jsharr? Who is the "we" with whom you identify in that comment ? 

It was probably a poor choice on my part to start this thread.  I am very tired of the pervasive sense of self entitlement in America.

We is anyone that may not see eye to eye with whatever minority group feels excluded, put upon, kept down, etc.

We have to respect their feelings, choices, etc, but they do not have to accept ours.

Painting with a broad brush here, but I am tired of seeing things like what happened in McKinney Texas at the pool party.  Respect for authority seems to be disappearing.

The Dallas Police Department was attacked this week.

I see an interconnection between all of this.  Accept us, whoever we are, and let us do what we want, regardless of rule of law, or else.

• Heart 2

I still don't understand how Jenner can be a woman.  He still has all the man parts.  So what determines gender anymore?

You know there are sometimes advantages to being a woman, such as being a woman-owned business when competing for government contracts.  Maybe more white guys that own companies should think about finding their inner femininity or embrace their soulful blackness.

Jsharr, I take no offense at your thread. I questioned because I was curious as to what prompted it.

FTr, I feel no sense of entitlement. For whatever that may be worth. The thought crossed my mind this morning that had I revealed what I have about myself a 100 years ago or so, I'd have been killed. 

I am thankful I do not live then.

Language matters, and there is a value in words. Ludwig Wittgenstein, philosopher of language, said something to the effect of language is the way of knowing. In education, we teach the specific vocabulary of a concept so students can make sense of it in precise terms, knowing it more fully and able to enter the discourse about it. 

So, if racial identity can be discussed along a spectrum instead of as part of a binary system (either is or is not), then why wouldn't we welcome that discourse? Why wouldn't we seek to know more fully?

• Heart 2

It was probably a poor choice on my part to start this thread.  I am very tired of the pervasive sense of self entitlement in America.

We is anyone that may not see eye to eye with whatever minority group feels excluded, put upon, kept down, etc.

We have to respect their feelings, choices, etc, but they do not have to accept ours.

Painting with a broad brush here, but I am tired of seeing things like what happened in McKinney Texas at the pool party.  Respect for authority seems to be disappearing.

I see an interconnection between all of this.  Accept us, whoever we are, and let us do what we want, regardless of rule of law, or else.

​The problem with society today is that peole think they have a right to do whatever they want, but the funny thing is all we are doing is wrecking our future.. without the police helping to protect the boundary lines from wright and wrong.. society is just running ramped. 

• Heart 2

So, if racial identity can be discussed along a spectrum instead of as part of a binary system (either is or is not), then why wouldn't we welcome that discourse? Why wouldn't we seek to know more fully?

​because society is close minded and refuses to follow the rules our forefathers set down for us to succeed. 

Race is all blurred anyway to me.  If a person is 1/4 black and 3/4 white, they are considered black.  Why aren't they legally white?  

But I agree with Krazy.  We need to stop talking about race and start thinking of ourselves as humans or Americans.  Making so much of race in this country only divides us even more and does nothing to bring us together.  We elected a "black" man President in 2008 and it seems that race relations in this country are worse than ever.

But I agree with Krazy.  We need to stop talking about race and start thinking of ourselves as humans

I believe the human genome project pretty much showed we are all one race.

​No.  He has stated that he has no plans to go any further with any gender surgeries.

Ok, I pose this to you. A person is born a hermaphrodite - he /she has reasonable parts of both genders. What determines his/her gender?

someone is born with Klienfelters Syndrome. They have XXY chromosomes. What gender are they?

​No, this is one of the best threads you have posted in a long time.  It is good to know that we can have a serious-type discussion here and that all of our threads do not have to be about silly crap like baby eating jokes and astrological signs...

• Heart 2

Ok, I pose this to you. A person is born a hermaphrodite - he /she has reasonable parts of both genders. What determines his/her gender?

someone is born with Klienfelters Syndrome. They have XXY chromosomes. What gender are they?

​They are the gender they opt to be... Why should a person have only one roll to play in society? I have seen same sex marriages work beautifully as I have also seen a single mother or father raise a child with no help from the other egg or sperm donator. The human rase is a powerful thing we keep disregarding. 

​I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that Jenner does not have this problem and that he is still all man.  With man-made boobies.

​I don't know, but I'm pretty sure that Jenner does not have this problem and that he is still all man.  With man-made boobies.

I'm only giving you an example of where your criterium may not be sufficient to make such a determination, TB. If genitalia was all that determined gender, then sometimes it fails. 

But gender is more than that. 

• Heart 1

​No, this is one of the best threads you have posted in a long time.  It is good to know that we can have a serious-type discussion here and that all of our threads do not have to be about silly crap like baby eating jokes and astrological signs...

​...my question would be, "Why is it not in the politics and religion forum, with the secret password and secret handshake and stuff ?"

My own reaction to Rachel and this whole brouhaha has surprised me.  I'm obviously way more liberal and, unlike @jsharr, pretty much of a moral degenerate, what with living in California, and having been a filthy, card carrying hippie, and all.  But I am firmly in his camp in terms of thinking that maybe, just maybe, too many people in the USofA genuinely believe that you can be anything you want to be.  And my own life experience in watching women who are 4' 8" tall with poor upper body strength work side by side with me in the fire department has demonstrated a number of ways that this just is not true.

Of course, Ms Donezal is a special case, because her particular approach to life seems essentially narcissistic, and a tad manipulative to me.  Reference her lawsuit against Howard U for discrimination practiced upon her white persona at that time.:huh:  She does seem to be enjoying her 15 minutes, though. :)

• Heart 1

...also, at some risk of coming off as a conservative (which I can assure you I am not), what does this say about affirmative action programs and how they can be (and probably are) manipulated for individual advantage ?

http://squarewheelscycling.com/index.php?/topic/21353-so-with-racial-identity-be-the-next-lgbt/&do=findComment&comment=196940

Painting with a broad brush I am, but I think I am more upset by the self entitlement and lack of respect for authority.  Listening to a few Rachel Dolezal interviews just pushed me over the edge.  Are we to become a society of Veruca Salts and Mike Teevee's?  

If you can change your sex, then why not race?  I've always wanted to be asian.  Asian women are hot.  Plus, messing with the L's and R's would be fun, too. 

​Hmm, on second thought, you can bang all the asian women you want as a white dude, I don't think they mind.

Why aren't you banging oriental chicks, btw?   You should mail-order yourself up a 30 year-old skinny chick from some asian country or other.

​...I don't know if you are familiar with Howard U ? Traditionally all black school in D.C.  Apparently Rachel got a free ride there for a while, which has been variously reported as due to her self description as black on the aid forms.  Which makes no sense at all in light of the lawsuit stories. Which in turn make no sense in terms of the recent stuff.  I guess it all makes sense to Ms Donezall, because she keeps giving unapologetic interviews.  But to an uninvolved observer, it does seem a wee tad self serving.:mellow:

​Yeah, but if you were an asian dude, your dong would get significantly smaller.

...the Asian designator is particularly troubling in terms of college affirmative action programs here in Cal, because some of the UC campuses have begun limiting by quota the number of Asian and Asian-american candidates they will admit.  They fuck up the curve by being so hard working and studious.:)

Painting with a broad brush I am, but I think I am more upset by the self entitlement and lack of respect for authority.  Listening to a few Rachel Dolezal interviews just pushed me over the edge.  Are we to become a society of Veruca Salts and Mike Teevee's?  

​Respect for authority is massively overrated, whose authority are we talking about?  In my experience, the "authority" is the perpetrator of many crimes and has the added component of having the ability to influence outcomes in their favor more easily.  Abuse of authority is typically not an anomaly.

...the Asian designator is particularly troubling in terms of college affirmative action programs here in Cal, because some of the UC campuses have begun limiting by quota the number of Asian and Asian-american candidates they will admit.  They fuck up the curve by being so hard working and studious.:)

​Code for smart…..

I want to be a black single mom lesbian woman. Just for the benefits.

​...I have self identified as a hot 20 something lesbian from time to time here, and have several friends who answer to that description.  Sadly, none of them will take me seriously as a potential lover.:(

• Heart 1

​Respect for authority is massively overrated, whose authority are we talking about?  In my experience, the "authority" is the perpetrator of many crimes and has the added component of having the ability to influence outcomes in their favor more easily.  Abuse of authority is typically not an anomaly.

​Anarchy sucks, I fear.  We may well find out.  

​...reported.