If the Confederate flag is abolished..

Wilbur

Even though idiots use it inappropriately and it should probably not hang over state capitols, it's pretty unlikely that the flag can or should be "abolished".  It's sort of got a place in history that isn't entirely racist.  Europe has "abolished" the swastika and gone pc crazy to the point that they will not allow un retouched pictures of German aircraft from wwII to be used in books.

Remember that our PC world makes the use of the word niggardly inappropriate.  We no longer seem to be able to deal with context.  How may grew up with their kids having General Lee toy cars.  Any problems back then.  Well, they're gone from the toys today.

Is there a problem with the Confederate flag flying over the SC statehouse.....yes.

Is there a problem with SW's briefs when used in this manner.......not in my mind.

Abolish?  Lazy way to pretend to be making a difference in a complex problem.

Edited by maddmaxx
  • Heart 4

Remember that our PC world makes the use of the word niggardly inappropriate.  We no longer seem to be able to deal with context.  How may grew up with their kids having General Lee toy cars.  Any problems back then.  Well, they're gone from the toys today.

Is there a problem with the Confederate flag flying over the SC statehouse.....yes.

Is there a problem with SW's briefs when used in this manner.......not in my mind.

Abolish?  Lazy way to pretend to be making a difference in a complex problem.

​Agreed.  

I will not stop wearing this.  jsharr sent it to me and I treasure the gift.

​As far as I know, the jsharr clan fought for the Union.  I also believe in the US Flag code section 176 d. I will not wear the US flag as clothing, nor the flag of any other country.

I do however have a pair of swimming trunks that look like the Texas flag.  

texas flag swim suit.jpg

I agree that the government should not be using it in any official capacity, but I object to the idea of making it illegal for private citizens to display, or the "cleansing" of history to pretend it never existed.

​It would be fun if they tried to do that, but they won't.  It would be like prohibition all over again for the southerners.

Government should be apolitical and unaffiliated with religion.  I have no problem with people that have a confederate flag on the bumper.  It serves the same purpose as a baby on board sign or an I voted for Ron Paul sticker.

​I suspect there will never see separation of church and state.  It's everywhere.  Each morning most school children pledge allegiance to god, I know I did for many years and had no idea what I was saying.  Then when I was in the boy scouts, they were shocked that I didn't go to church with my family (yes I know boy scouts is not part of the gov't, just another example of how it's all intertwined).

I'm ok with it the same way I'm ok with gay marriage.  It's not for me, but who am I to stand in your way?

558ac18b38b46_United_States_one_dollar_b

• Heart 1

​I suspect there will never see separation of church and state.  It's everywhere.  Each morning most school children pledge allegiance to god, I know I did for many years and had no idea what I was saying.  Then when I was in the boy scouts, they were shocked that I didn't go to church with my family (yes I know boy scouts is not part of the gov't, just another example of how it's all intertwined).

I'm ok with it the same way I'm ok with gay marriage.  It's not for me, but who am I to stand in your way?

558ac18b38b46_United_States_one_dollar_b

​Oh boy, here we go...

The "under god" and "in god we trust" is the explicit government endorsement for supernatural beliefs of one particular sort, there really is no way around it.  RO will never say the pledge with that in it, I won't allow it.

​Oh boy, here we go...

The "under god" and "in god we trust" is the explicit government endorsement for supernatural beliefs of one particular sort, there really is no way around it.  RO will never say the pledge with that in it, I won't allow it.

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/fun_facts/?action=fun_facts5

You should move to France maybe.  

The work has gotten out of hand.. just because we have to hold the hands of the thin skinned should not mean we have to cater to everyones needs and wishes... What happened to the good old days of being able to say hello to someone on the street.. Today you get looked at like you are going to mug, rape, and carjack someone if you just say hello to a stranger. I feel bad for my kids having to live in this "yuppie/self loathing/PC/bullshit" world we are making this country. 

I say we go back to the good ole days and get rid of all these "snowflake safety", peanut free, everyone is equal bullcrap...

I vote for office flogging when a report is done wrong... 

Why? Because you think so? Says who? Ok .

But everything about humanity screams religion. Even your comment here...

​Sorry, correction.  Unaffiliated with any specific religion.  There being relatively few common concepts that transcend all religions that usually manifests itself as "unaffiliated" for practical reasons.

The reason it's allowed on there is supposedly because it doesn't favor any one religion over others.  However, it definitely does support any monotheistic religion over any polytheistic one, which isn't right.  If I want to believe in the Gods of ancient Greece, why should my every monetary transaction force me to confront the fact that the US Gov thinks my religion is BS?

The reason it's allowed on there is supposedly because it doesn't favor any one religion over others.  However, it definitely does support any monotheistic religion over any polytheistic one, which isn't right.  If I want to believe in the Gods of ancient Greece, why should my every monetary transaction force me to confront the fact that the US Gov thinks my religion is BS?

​Probably because we (as a nation) historically are descended from predominately christian nations.  Our founding fathers learned their lessons from the centuries of religious war and repression in Europe but we haven't quite taken those lessons all the way to the final conclusion.  We are a much more globally homogeneous nation than we were when the constitution was written and our money was designed, but we are still a majority christian nation and we lag behind a bit in recognizing the future.

​Probably because we (as a nation) historically are descended from predominately christian nations.  Our founding fathers learned their lessons from the centuries of religious war and repression in Europe but we haven't quite taken those lessons all the way to the final conclusion.  We are a much more globally homogeneous nation than we were when the constitution was written and our money was designed, but we are still a majority christian nation and we lag behind a bit in recognizing the future.

​The founding father's learned enough from seeing religion used to abuse the political structure that they specifically wrote into the laws to separate church and state. Too bad the government went away from that ideal and started to put that motto (which violates that rule even if only to a small degree) on money in 1864.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_God_we_trust

Well, there went the reasonable discussion.  In before descent into the political forum. 

Damn stupid cache system.  That was to be quoted from dotman's post above.

​Reasonable?  We're talking about a supernatural being written on our currency.  Because, you know, we trust Him.  If your discussion can't handle my dismissal of that crap on our currency, then you're part of the problem.  

Let's talk about it but only if it fits within my views of the world.