Should I just watch "The Stand" instead of reading it?

Randomguy

Awesome book, I'd read it.  I did, twice.

I'm the type that generally likes the book a lot more than the movie.

​I am too, but SK pisses me off because he is too verbose and his books could be a third shorter and be much, much better if an editor with some balls was employed.  That his movie adaptations generally suck is another weird thing.

I loved the book and have read it multiple times.  I enjoyed the mini-series.  You will probably enjoy it more than the book, since it cuts some of the verbosity. 
Being a mini-series, it does not suffer as badly from being overly condensed like many of his movies.  Unfortunately, being made for TV, and before HD no less, it has it's limitations.

That his movie adaptations generally suck is another weird thing.

​I would list The Shining as an exception.  The one big difference I felt was the hedge animals were turned into a maze.  Much less effect and didn't highlight the steady mental deterioration as much with a maze.  Overall, I think that movie was well done.  Or at least that's the way I remember it.  I haven't read the book nor seen the movie in decades.

​I would list The Shining as an exception.  The one big difference I felt was the hedge animals were turned into a maze.  Much less effect and didn't highlight the steady mental deterioration as much with a maze.  Overall, I think that movie was well done.  Or at least that's the way I remember it.  I haven't read the book nor seen the movie in decades.

​One reason it was a good movie is that it didn't try to remain very true to the book.  In fact, SK didn't really like it because it seemed too much like Jack was just going crazy, rather than the hotel carefully manipulating the situation over time. 

Usually there is too much content, much of it involving inner dialogue that is tough to convey on film, for the movie to make sense if it stays too close to the real story. 

​I did like'The Shining'.  Maybe I will read "The Stand".