So tomorrow I see the shrink

petitepedal

It is gonna be stress talk....lets see...my clenching or bruxing of my teeth started my Junior year in college...my TMJ at about 24 or 25....and at 57...we are going to reduce by stress reaction.................I am not so sure about that but...I will give it a shot.

​Shot is the key word to your stress reduction. Somebody needs to be shot.

It is gonna be stress talk....lets see...my clenching or bruxing of my teeth started my Junior year in college...my TMJ at about 24 or 25....and at 57...we are going to reduce by stress reaction.................I am not so sure about that but...I will give it a shot.

​You won't get anything out of the first session but if you can develop a comfort level -- you're on the fast track for subsequent sessions -- where you will see gain.

• Heart 1

​There can be some very effective techniques to stress management that professionals can help with.

There can also be some mild anti-anxiety meds that can make a big difference.

Be open, honest, and detailed.  And as Dotman basically said, it's not an insta-cure; it's a process.  But it can be a very worthwhile one.

EDIT: Props to you for going and doing this.

Edited by LoneWolf
  • Heart 2

​...see if he or she can recommend a meditation practice, which works pretty well for stress, including the clenching/TMJ thing.

​...see if he or she can recommend a meditation practice, which works pretty well for stress, including the clenching/TMJ thing.

​Yes.  Meditation is an amazing stress relief for me.  Once you get a little practice, it takes very little time to reach that relaxed state and BP and heart rate drop like a stone.  Very refreshing as well.  

​I second this, but docs who are pill happy are unlikely to embrace Eastern practices.  It's a shame that Western physicians are so rigid.

​Some good practices go with one person for therapy, another for meds.  It means that if you need meds, you'll have someone dedicated to helping with dosages, side effects, etc. - but you'll have someone else helping you with yourself, therapy-wise, including anything from breathing exercises to life activities and seeing things in a new way.