I'm wearing em down

Scrapr

So we have GPS units for our trucks. I can see where every truck is at at all times. I can see if you stop for lunch, how fast you are going and how long you stopped. I have been mildly unhappy. These are 2G units. So they will go in & out of service connections. They catch up later but I want to see them now. And the price is a bit higher than I think it should be. Our 3 year contract is up in November.

So they have been calling to get me to upgrade(which means new contract) I have told them repeatedly that we are going to move to another provider. At least 6 times. Today my rep calls me up all friendly and laughing. Hey, you haven't signed that upgrade sheet yet. I tell her as we talked about a month ago...we are switching. Last time I told her this she said you have a "good" price now. Nothing I can do

Today she asks if I have a quote yet. I tell her no. Now she is going to work the numbers. try to get us re signed by end of the month. Which is probably their Fiscal year end. can you say SALE???  I knew you could

I'm going to tell them to throw in floor mats too

• Heart 2

Do you see them in real time or does the satellite ping them every 10 minutes or so? Our fleet has qualcom units that do much more than just track the trucks. We can receive and send messages as well. 

I don't know what your application is, but there are lots of options out there. 

We do every 2 minutes. And the messaging is pretty important. we have garmins so have turn by turn directions. We don't use the vehicle serving module or the fuel module. Hard braking notifications would be nice but I don't want to pay for it

It's become pretty integral to our operations

We do every 2 minutes. And the messaging is pretty important. we have garmins so have turn by turn directions. We don't use the vehicle serving module or the fuel module. Hard braking notifications would be nice but I don't want to pay for it

It's become pretty integral to our operations

​So, is your operation local, regional or OTR? And is your primary business transportation, or is that incidental to your core business? 

We are a local company. In many ways we look like a P&D operation. we clean up & recycle construction site debris. Some sets of trucks will have 10-15 stops in a day. That is infill construction in the city. Others will go to a larger subdivision and stay there all day. pull 2-3 loads out. We have a lot of travel time. Approx 40% of our day is going to or from/fueling/start of day etc

We use the GPS to see if drivers are ahead of schedule or behind schedule. if ahead we try to add some stuff onto the list. if behind we set up for the following day or try to get some help over to them. And the drivers are pretty dependent on the turn by turn directions