Sexism and biking

Dirtyhip

​DH, you're special.  All kinds of women out there like you -- but most of them aren't.  I don't think this was sexist --- it was an attempt to market the majority.  Fact is, they could and should market these bikes to men too because there are just as many or more lazy ass guys out there.  Just look at jsharr.

• Heart 2

The Festrunk Brothers ("Two Wild and Crazy Guys!")

Dan Aykroyd and Steve Martin sketch. The Festrunks, Yortuk (Aykroyd) and Georg (Martin) were two brothers who had emigrated from Czechoslovakia to the United States. Culturally inept, they went to various social hangouts (bars, art exhibits, dance clubs) in an attempt to connect with attractive American women ("foxes"), however, their obnoxious behavior was almost always a turn off for the women they approached. They were often referred to by their catchphrase "We are, two wild and crazy guys!!" Debuted September 24, 1977. In the sketch, they meet two women, Jane Curtin and Gilda Radner, playing ping pong in the basement of their apartment building.

tumblr_mjcqnoNeHU1rjdnouo1_400.gif

...it's Czechoslovakia.  Consider the source.:)

Sorry, I don't get it. is this bike company doesn't offer bikes that shredder women want, then don't buy from them. 

All kinds of companies out there won't cater to my interests. 

Your money speaks. Spend it where you want to be heard.

​Well, of course.  It was just a stupid and sexist ad.

​Not at all.  G.Terry makes bikes specifically for women and none of her ads would make these kind of statements that generalize women as a bunch of lame riders.

That whole ad is a senior year course on bad marketing. 

​This is all I was saying.  

Edited by Dirtyhip

​Not at all.  G.Terry makes bikes specifically for women and none of her ads would make these kind of statements that generalize women as a bunch of lame riders.​

:-)

i was referring to the fact that Terry doesn't sell bikes for men. Does that make the company sexist?

Personally no, I don't think so. Terry has chosen a market and decided to cater to it.  And that's also what I saw in the ad from the company in your OP - they too cater to a particular  market. 

And anyone who knows anything about this sport knows that women are anything but lame.

​DH, you're special.  All kinds of women out there like you -- but most of them aren't.  I don't think this was sexist --- it was an attempt to market the majority.  Fact is, they could and should market these bikes to men too because there are just as many or more lazy ass guys out there.  Just look at jsharr.

This. DH, all of our differences aside, and I truly hope you accept this in the vein in which I offer it, you are an amazing athletic woman for whom I have a lot of respect. I would never underestimate your abilities and your drive is exceptional. You'd kick my azz in an enduro event and I know you could teach me a great deal.

But in my experience, you're rare. 

My spin instructor, female, is incredible. She can work your ass off in class, and does. But I don't think she even owns a bike.  I'd love to see more women rise to the level of athleticism where the markets see the need and drop the 'delicate flower' routine. 

But, there will always remain the bikes and gear that target the larger portion of the population. Men and women.

Peace.

This. DH, all of our differences aside, and I truly hope you accept this in the vein in which I offer it, you are an amazing athletic woman for whom I have a lot of respect. I would never underestimate your abilities and your drive is exceptional. You'd kick my azz in an enduro event and I know you could teach me a great deal.

But in my experience, you're rare. 

My spin instructor, female, is incredible. She can work your ass off in class, and does. But I don't think she even owns a bike.  I'd love to see more women rise to the level of athleticism where the markets see the need and drop the 'delicate flower' routine. 

But, there will always remain the bikes and gear that target the larger portion of the population. Men and women.

Peace.

​I may be rare, but why pigeon hole us like that ad?  The ad like encourages women to be meek.  That is all I was saying.  

The ad like encourages women to be meek.  

​Like Z, I don't necessarily see that ad as sexist. 

But many (most?) of the women I know probably fit your description of "meek".  They are indeed delicate flowers and probably wouldn't ride down a wet singletrack for fear of getting muddy.  And I wonder how much of that attitude is indeed a product of the culture/advertising they've grown up with.  Too much to pin on one European cycle company - it's all around us.

Still, it's that company's prerogative to market to those delicate flowers, and I'm sure they're aware they may be alienating the schralping crowd in doing so.  They are probably trying to make the most of their advertising korunas (I looked it up) because they don't want to invest in the kind of engineering they'd need to produce a raceworthy bike.

Still, these days I definitely see more ads, TV shows, etc. celebrating female athletes which hopefully encourage young girls to stay active and keep getting sweaty and dirty.  My daughter (age 12) can't wait to get her new bike on a trail.  I will do what I can to keep her in that mindset but I know the next few years will be tough in that regard.

Duplication? 

You have a knack for confusing me...

​Yeah, sorry.  I did the multiquote thing and it's basically broken.  I had like 3 or 4 of those photos (of each) in my response and couldn't get it to clear.  But apparently when I 'saved' it... it only picked up one.  I don't know Zealot.  I'm the victim here.

​Yeah, sorry.  I did the multiquote thing and it's basically broken.  I had like 3 or 4 of those photos (of each) in my response and couldn't get it to clear.  But apparently when I 'saved' it... it only picked up one.  I don't know Zealot.  I'm the victim here.

Ah. No worries. 

Breathe....  ;)

Haha! I test software for a living SW. :P

​OK, browser error.

This is one "improvement" they made that I did not like.  The old version saved regularly to the database.  That way if you came back a few hours, days or weeks later to a post it would have your draft saved.  When they came out with this version, they were looking for ways to improve performance.  Clearly with everyone writing to the database all of the time, that takes a toll on the database, so they are saving it to the browser cache.  With the millions of browser configurations possible it seems to be causing some issues like these.

It will be fixed in the next version.  That should be out in a few days.  I will wait another week or so for other bugs to get worked out with the release and then update this site.

Updates will come in a couple of weeks.   Suppose to fix the quote problem some people have. 

​Sigh.  IMO Dotman, like me, often posts from a chromebook.  The cache and chrome OS do not like each other.  It is very difficult to clear the cache of unwanted clingons.

Edited by maddmaxx