Knocked it out of the park

Randomguy

​Gin, egg white, lemon or lime or both, simple syrup, heavy cream, and a splash of oj.  

​I think you listed these ingredients the other day.  For some reason I always thought the "fizz" was from some carbonated beverage.

What kind of gin did you use?

I like to mix gin, tonic and sherbet in a blender... it seems like the end result might be a little similar.

​I think you listed these ingredients the other day.  For some reason I always thought the "fizz" was from some carbonated beverage.

What kind of gin did you use?

I like to mix gin, tonic and sherbet in a blender... it seems like the end result might be a little similar.

​Oh, crap, I left out mentioning the ounce of club soda.  I used seltzer, because that is what I had.  I used Broker gin.

This requires lots of shaking.

RW mentioned an almost sherbert-like quality when she tasted it, I think she is right.  That would make you right, too.

Edited by Randomguy™
  • Heart 1

​The egg white thing throws me.  I like simple drinks.  Old Fashioned, Manhattan, martini

​The egg-white thing sounds fussy to me, and I generally don't like fussy.  This all started when that damn restaurant opened up across the street, Hugo's.  Everything there is some shade of awesome, it seems, and I felt like a cocktail.  That night, none of the cocktails sounded good to me, so I thought I would cross gin fizz off my list, how bad could it be?  Well, it was really, really good, and very refreshing.

I dig old-fashioneds, btw, good stuff.  Manhattans can taste a bit mediciney to me at times, why do you think that is?

Edited by Randomguy™

​The egg-white thing sounds fussy to me, and I generally don't like fussy.  This all started when that damn restaurant opened up across the street, Hugo's.  Everything there is some shade of awesome, it seems, and I felt like a cocktail.  That night, none of the cocktails sounded good to me, so I thought I would cross gin fizz off my list, how bad could it be?  Well, it was really, really good, and very refreshing.

I dig old-fashioneds, btw, good stuff.  Manhattans can taste a bit mediciney to me at times, why do you think that is?

​Most likely the vermouth. Stay with a high quality sweet vermouth and use it sparingly.   I like to use orange rahter than angostura bitters in mine also.  You can substitute port or sherry for the vermouth as well.

​Most likely the vermouth. Stay with a high quality sweet vermouth and use it sparingly.   I like to use orange rahter than angostura bitters in mine also.  You can substitute port or sherry for the vermouth as well.

​I am out of angostora, and just have orange bitters left.  I miss the angostora.

I had a sour cherry old fashioned that was great, but I haven't been back to that restaurant.

• Heart 1

There was a bar in Dallas called The Art Bar and Randy, the bartender, made an incredible dirty vodka martini.  Best I ever had.  Used Monopolowa vodka.  I have tried to recreate it, but I just cannot get it down.  I lost track of Randy after I moved out of Deep Ellum and Art Bar closed.

There was a bar in Dallas called The Art Bar and Randy, the bartender, made an incredible dirty vodka martini.  Best I ever had.  Used Monopolowa vodka.  I have tried to recreate it, but I just cannot get it down.  I lost track of Randy after I moved out of Deep Ellum and Art Bar closed.

​Deep Ellum had already gone to crap by the time I got to it for the first time.  I am told it used to be fun, is this true?

• Heart 1

​Deep Ellum had already gone to crap by the time I got to it for the first time.  I am told it used to be fun, is this true?

​It was incredible.  My landlord was one of the slumlord guys, but Art Bar was owned by Jeff Swaney, of of the guys that used to throw warehouse parties with Mark Cuban to start the rebirth of Deep Ellum.  It used to be hopping.  People everywhere,  tons of cool bars, restaurants, etc.   Lived on Elm street in an old store front we converted to a loft.  it opened onto a patio garden that was shared by several buildings, but they were all commercial, so at night, I had the place to myself.  We used to take my kitchen chairs and sit them in the front room, open the blinds and play Deep Ellum roller coaster.  We would all pretend to be riding a coaster.  it was a hoot.  We also used to take coffee cups from kitchen and stand outside my door saying "Money for beer, money for pizza" to all the yuppies going to clubs, like 2826 next door.  We would get 30 bucks and then go buy a pizza and some beer.  We all had jobs, it was more for fun than anything else.  Free food and drinks.

• Heart 1