Page, why does this David Austin guy get to name all the roses?

AirwickWithCheese

Is there a rose that is "missing".....  you know, a rose that is like a legend now but hasn't been seen since 1913? 

The passenger pigeon of the rose. I challenge you to win the next rose by introducing the Cassie Gaines. Brilliant red with alternating orange petals.  Can you do this? 

Is there a rose that is "missing".....  you know, a rose that is like a legend now but hasn't been seen since 1913? 

The passenger pigeon of the rose. I challenge you to win the next rose by introducing the Cassie Gaines. Brilliant red with alternating orange petals.  Can you do this? 

...rose breeding is beyond my facilities capability at this point.  I did a couple of camellias, but not good enough to propagate.  when I belonged to the Northern California Daffodil Society and entered shows, I used to hang out with a couple of flower breeders, and Sacramento was, at one time, a hotbed of iris breeding.  There used to be a daylily breeder out in North Highlands, and Zager's Genetics down in Modesto introduced most of the nectarine and pluot varieties that are now so popular.

But you need a lot of space to grow out all your crosses, and a lot of time to follow a particular line of experiment.  The daffodil guys, growing from seed, don't usually see a flower until maybe four or five years in for the crosses they make.  I don't have that kind of time.:(

There are plenty of lost rose varieties.  That's a large part of what the Historic Rose Garden here was about, people finding stuff in old gardens dating back to the Gold Rush, propagating them by cuttings, and then trying to match them up with a name from old descriptions in books and catalogs.  Try to find an "old rose" group nearby.  If you don't have one local, I guarantee there's gonna be one in Charleston.

There are probably mysterious old shrub roses on every plantation in South Carolina.

BTW, you don't see all that many oranges in the old roses, that's a fairly recent development.:)

• Heart 1

I want a rose that makes all the ladies jealous. I will not sell or breed the Cassie Gaines. People will come from 1000s of miles to admire my Cassie and offer me 100s of thousands to let them breed her.

No. 

But they may take her picture.  Edgar will guard the Cassie at night. Women will seduce me thinking they will be the one to take her from me.  No. 

Kirbie will ask and I will cave and say, yes.