4th of July Holiday

petitepedal

I have the third off as a paid holiday and the following week I have off for plant shutdown.  I have two grandbabies due this week or next. Probably won't make it down to see the one being born in LA but will probably help out with the siblings on the one that's local.  Also getting new furniture delivered the week of shutdown. 

I have to work on the 3rd, but Saturday will be race day.  The relatives will be out for a picnic on Saturday.  Some will bring their RC cars and race on my track and Saturday night the race from Daytona will be on.

People in that other place would call me a low brow Nascar redneck.

They would be right.

Not taking any days off, need to save my time.

Maybe see some fireworks Saturday, maybe not.

Possibly drink some English Breakfast tea to celebrate.

I will hang my Union Jack out front. Although around here it will probably be mistaken for the confederate flag.

• Heart 1

Taking a vacation day on Friday just because it's supposed to be nice. The plan is for me and a buddy to head up to Ontario for a ride.

Sounds like fun jsharr.....My mom and my cousin were our float builders...a little cardboard, some lumber or aspen trees...oh and paper medical drapes (as a OR nurse..often my mom would bring home these leftover blue paper "drapes")....Lets see we made a sailing ship and did a Boston Tea Party..theme...on our sail were the words "Taxation Without Representation"...a big hit with all the political candidates :whistle:  We did Charlie Brown..with Snoopy on his dog house (that was in the basic trailer...other floats grew to a larger size)...Our last float was a dinosaur ...which was in 3 pieces...it even blew out smoke and the head moved from side to side...LOL my mom rode inside that one..said between moving the neck/head using both arms..my cousin said it would move with 1 finger...:whistle:...and the powder from the fire extinguisher that made the smoke...it was some float!!  Small town parades are fun...

Edited by petitepedal

Our them is "Surfin the USA" .  Going to have one "water" trailer and one "beach" trailer.  Asking boys to dress up like they were at the beach, snorkels, fins goggles, etc.  Blow up palm trees, waves made out of painted ply wood.  Going to try and make a golf cart look like a shark.  Beach Boys tunes playing on stereo.

• Heart 1

No plans.  Where I work we don't get Friday or Monday off for the holiday.  We get a "floating" holiday which means an arbitrary day off during July.   And your arbitrary day off cannot be July 3 or July 6.  So my 4th holiday will be on Friday, July 31.  The wife and I may go down to Bourbonville for a minor league baseball game, tour Louisville and pick up some stamps in our Bourbon Trail passports.  We need the Bourbon Trail visitors center in Louisville, Jim Beam, Heaven Hill and one other.

Are you on vacation this week?  DO you have the 3rd or the 6th off?    What are your plans for the weekend?

​Why so many questions? Do you know what that does to a person? how am I going to live with myself now? Are you hungry... I think I am...

This will be my 4th in a row missed July 1 celebration due to work.  Damn I need to retire..  My community has a great family celebration and I miss doing it with the kids. :(    I have only been in the US once for the 4th but it was a training session in DFW and my sim times caused me to miss the celebrations.  Damn again!

This will be my 4th in a row missed July 1 celebration due to work.  Damn I need to retire..  My community has a great family celebration and I miss doing it with the kids. :(    I have only been in the US once for the 4th but it was a training session in DFW and my sim times caused me to miss the celebrations.  Damn again!

​The 4th is really about eating crap food, drinking lots of booze, and blowing off fingers with illegal fireworks.  If you're not stuffed on hot dogs, hamburgers, and potato salad along with 18 beers -- and you have all your fingers intact -- you're not doing it right.

We have off the 3rd.

This and New Year's are my most dreaded holidays of the year every year. They mean assholes with fireworks that scare the dogs to death. No matter what we do, they end up being mostly terrified for a day or two.

This will be our first "firecracker" event with Mickey. We'll see how it goes. She was terrified, once, when we tried to walk her under an overpass. The sounds totally freaked her out. She wouldn't go a step further to save her life. I'm hoping that's not an indication of how she'll be with fireworks. Though other times, she's been comfortable with loud noises (like the A/C we set up in bedroom which is 3 feet from her kennel...though I understand that's a totally different 'type' of noise).

We have off the 3rd.

This and New Year's are my most dreaded holidays of the year every year. They mean assholes with fireworks that scare the dogs to death. No matter what we do, they end up being mostly terrified for a day or two.

This will be our first "firecracker" event with Mickey. We'll see how it goes. She was terrified, once, when we tried to walk her under an overpass. The sounds totally freaked her out. She wouldn't go a step further to save her life. I'm hoping that's not an indication of how she'll be with fireworks. Though other times, she's been comfortable with loud noises (like the A/C we set up in bedroom which is 3 feet from her kennel...though I understand that's a totally different 'type' of noise).

​The golden we had before was scared to death of fireworks and thunder. We left him at my inlaws one evening and when we returned he had dug at a closet door trying to get away from the sound of kids setting off fireworks.

​The golden we had before was scared to death of fireworks and thunder. We left him at my inlaws one evening and when we returned he had dug at a closet door trying to get away from the sound of kids setting off fireworks.

​Yup....this is why I have grown to HATE fireworks, which is a shame because they're fun and lovely to watch. However, they lose their luster when they are terrifying your babies.

Edited by kingtermite

​The 4th is really about eating crap food, drinking lots of booze, and blowing off fingers with illegal fireworks.  If you're not stuffed on hot dogs, hamburgers, and potato salad along with 18 beers -- and you have all your fingers intact -- you're not doing it right.

​Do you have a hat with two beercans on top and a tubing complex that lets you drink from both.  See you at the races.

• Heart 1

​three day weekend should allow plenty of time to take over Canada.  You in?

​Sure!  which brewery do we take first?  and lets not forget the Crown Royal distillery......  oh, and some Alberta beef...that should do it.. well, maybe some fish and chips too from Halifax.

• Heart 1

​Sure!  which brewery do we take first?  and lets not forget the Crown Royal distillery......  oh, and some Alberta beef...that should do it.. well, maybe some fish and chips too from Halifax.

​Alberta Springs Rye may need to be liberated from bondage to the cruel Queen of Canuckistan as well

• Heart 1

I took yesterday off, and we get Thursday and Friday off for the holiday. Going to a parade in Indiana to help promote my daughter's salon on Friday. Maybe go to the balloon fest & air show in Battle Creek on Saturday. I don't know about grilling, but I will work some beer drinking in to the weekend along with a bike ride or two.

I took yesterday off, and we get Thursday and Friday off for the holiday. Going to a parade in Indiana to help promote my daughter's salon on Friday. Maybe go to the balloon fest & air show in Battle Creek on Saturday. I don't know about grilling, but I will work some beer drinking in to the weekend along with a bike ride or two.

​That is sort of a specialized parade is it not?  Will there be salon floats and synchronized marching stylists and what not?

• Heart 1

Our office is closed on Friday.  I hope to get a good effort in on a project I'm working on for the grandkids and then maybe a ride.  On the 4th we have the parade and probably some yard work before service at church in the evening and then fireworks.  Sunday, who knows.