First Class all the way

jsharr

...good deal.:)  I was a member of three different Scout troops, and the leadership and philosophical approach of the adult leaders makes a huge difference.

In one of them, the biggest deal was the annual Christmas tree lot we ran as a fundraiser for the rest of the year.....little emphasis on camping or outdoor hiking skills. :(

By far the most influential one for me, personally, was the one where we loaded up like pack mules with army surplus packing and camping stuff every month, and went out to hike various sections of the Appalachian Trail.  It did not kill me, thus in theory made me stronger. :mellow:

• Heart 1

...good deal.:)  I was a member of three different Scout troops, and the leadership and philosophical approach of the adult leaders makes a huge difference.

In one of them, the biggest deal was the annual Christmas tree lot we ran as a fundraiser for the rest of the year.....little emphasis on camping or outdoor hiking skills. :(

By far the most influential one for me, personally, was the one where we loaded up like pack mules with army surplus packing and camping stuff every month, and went out to hike various sections of the Appalachian Trail.  It did not kill me, thus in theory made me stronger. :mellow:

​The Troops that do best have outdoor stuff every month. Yes, that means it's going to rain/snow/be hot on the little snowflakes

many of the boys are there just for the outdoor hikes & camps. The rank advancement & merit badges are a byproduct of a good outdoor program. Our District council 'encouraged" Troops to get outside every month. I think one of the patches as a quality troop is to do 10 or so outdoor experiences.

The Troops that worry about rank advancement w/no or little outdoor activity are paper whipping the requirements. It's the difference between seeing a Poison Oak leaf in the book and actually getting poison Oak because you went outside

Good job jsharr. Keep it up. You are making a difference

• Heart 1

...hey @jsharr, I almost forgot.  I grew up in the far SE section of D.C., and there were no public swimming pools with easy access, so when I joined the Scouts i could not swim hardly at all.

I got the mile swim thing, the swimming badge, and the lifesaving badge, sailing, and canoeing, and while I learned much of it from the Red Cross, it was scouting that was the impetus and outline for most of it.

My PT job in my last year of high school was as a lifeguard at the Naval Research lab pool, and my summer jobs in college were all either pool manager or swimming instructor.  So when I say it had an influence on my life, I really mean it. I'm glad your son is enjoying it, it's a great way to expose yourself to stuff you might otherwise miss out on. I mean, I had a job for a couple of years there running the pool for a nursing school.

That might have been my peak work experience.:wub:

• Heart 1

...hey @jsharr, I almost forgot.  I grew up in the far SE section of D.C., and there were no public swimming pools with easy access, so when I joined the Scouts i could not swim hardly at all.

I got the mile swim thing, the swimming badge, and the lifesaving badge, sailing, and canoeing, and while I learned much of it from the Red Cross, it was scouting that was the impetus and outline for most of it.

My PT job in my last year of high school was as a lifeguard at the Naval Research lab pool, and my summer jobs in college were all either pool manager or swimming instructor.  So when I say it had an influence on my life, I really mean it. I'm glad your son is enjoying it, it's a great way to expose yourself to stuff you might otherwise miss out on. I mean, I had a job for a couple of years there running the pool for a nursing school.

That might have been my peak work experience.:wub:

​Next year he wants to take the BSA lifeguard course and staff summer camp.

• Heart 1