Bad Beer

Parsnip Totin Jack

On my way back from the Ironkids Triathalon I stopped at the Party Source in Belleview KY.  They have a very large beer department.  I picked up a six of Stone's Pale Ale2 to try the new formula.  I also picked up a 22oz bottle of Lucky Bastard, a dry-hopped version of their Arrogant Bastard.  When I got home I noticed that the Lucky Bastard had several labels indicating that one should not cellar (age) this beer as the hop flavors would be diminished by age. Drink immediately it said.  Then there was the Enjoy by date: Jan 1 2015.  WTF?  This beer is about one year old.  i can't drink this, they shouldn't even sell it.

I sent a profane e-mail to the Party Source and heard back from them yesterday.  Apparently there was an error in clearing old bottles from the shelves.  The persons responsible have been sacked.  The beer buyer wants to know how they can compensate me for the bottle.  I can return it for a refund/exchange, but it's a 25 mile trip.  Should I ask for a little something or settle for my $7.99 back?

• Heart 1

. Drink immediately it said.  Then there was the Enjoy by date: Jan 1 2015.  WTF?  This beer is about one year old.  i can't drink this, they shouldn't even sell it.

​How fast does the planet you live on revolve around the sun(s)? My best guess is that the beer is 7 months out of date.. :)

It will still be fine unless there is a lot os sludge in the bottom... and if thats the case, just pour it into the glass leaving about 1/2 inch of the brew in the bottle.. 

• 1 year later...
On 6/29/2015 at 11:03 AM, KrAzY said:

How fast does the planet you live on revolve around the sun(s)? My best guess is that the beer is 7 months out of date.. :)

It will still be fine unless there is a lot os sludge in the bottom... and if thats the case, just pour it into the glass leaving about 1/2 inch of the brew in the bottle.. 

------------

The date on the label is 2015; this is 2016. That makes it at least 19 months past expected best date. And it's an IPA, not a hearty scotch ale or Porter or barley wine. Not good when old and stored on a shelf.

The sludge on the bottom has nothing to do with age. It only indicates the beer was bottle conditioned. All my beers, fresh or old, have that. 

No, I wouldn't drink it. It's gonna be gross. Bummer.

3 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...I would write a long, whiny review on Yelp, and then offer to let them "convince" you to retract it with money, gifts, and whores.

Now I know that I'm often critical of you in these pages, but I have to admit that you can always be relied on in times of crisis to come up with some good, practical advice which resonates with my own life experience. :)

• Heart 1

9 hours ago, Randomguy said:

So what happened?  I need closure, dammit!

So my bad beer story was resolved by son of 7. He was headed that way on an errand and took the offending beer back to the Party Source.  They refunded my money and to compensate for the inconvenience of the episode he insisted that they give him a fresh bottle gratis.  They whined a bit but gave in.  Money in pocket and free beer.

• Heart 3

12 hours ago, smudge said:
On June 29, 2015 at 10:03 AM, KrAzY said:

The date on the label is 2015; this is 2016. That makes it at least 19 months past expected best date. And it's an IPA, not a hearty scotch ale or Porter or barley wine. Not good when old and stored on a shelf.

The sludge on the bottom has nothing to do with age. It only indicates the beer was bottle conditioned. All my beers, fresh or old, have that. 

No, I wouldn't drink it. It's gonna be gross. Bummer.

This was written over a year ago... actually I do not even remember making this post..LOL