A/C Install over weekend

kingtermite

Backstory: 

Our little neck of the woods doesn't get/stay hot for very long periods (pretty moderate temps), so most houses don't have air conditioning. Those that can't bear it, typically get portable units that are only used for a few months out of the year.

I bought a portable (not window unit) A/C about 6-7 years ago shortly after I moved here. In our old house (that we rented) the best location was in living room and there was a floor window that opened out. A nasty little window that leaked air, but it was what it was (wasn't spending money to fix myself on a rented house). I had created a right sized piece of cardboard with duct tape around edges (so it didn't fray and die from year to year) and put it in the window and duct taped it up well to seal. I used that with hole cut out for the A/C hose to send the warm air out.

Since we now have our own house, we decided that we should do a better and more permanent solution. After talking to a few people I found out that my A/C SHOULD have come with a window kit, fitted for it, but I don't recall ever seeing one. So after thinking of many different "jerry-rigged" type solutions, we went to a local plastic store called "Tap Plastic". We took our screen in, and they cut a perfect sized acrylic window pane with the proper sized hole cut out. A beautiful, clean and simple solution that will last for years. Tap Plastic did a great job!!! It just looks like a window with the hole cut for the hose.

acinstall.thumb.jpg.637789b091db0f654337

• Heart 1

Good solution.  Of course it will scratch easier than glass so it all get cloudy and nicked.  We currently have a robin that has been attacking several windows at our place.  It sits on the window ledge of one of the winnows (or something just outside the ledge) and launches itself at the glass.  It can do this several times a minute for a hour or more.  Your plastic would last about 15 minutes with our robin.

Enjoy the cool air (and lower humidity). 

Normally, the PNW warrants AC for about 3 weeks out of the year... plus or minus a month... but that may be changing.  The last few summers here have been pretty hot and if you are in the GW tank, it's gonna get hotter.  If and when we move out of the crackerjack box we're in now (we will just need a couple years), I will get one installed... and probably go a route you did termite.

Normally, the PNW warrants AC for about 3 weeks out of the year... plus or minus a month... but that may be changing.  The last few summers here have been pretty hot and if you are in the GW tank, it's gonna get hotter.  If and when we move out of the crackerjack box we're in now (we will just need a couple years), I will get one installed... and probably go a route you did termite.

​^^^ 3 weeks +/- a month. Sounds just about right.

If you go that route and want to do this solution, which was nice, clean and pretty inexpensive, go to Tap Plastic in Bellevue. It's  on Northup, just a bit West of the Lowe's at the corner of Northup and 120th Ave NE.

​^^^ 3 weeks +/- a month. Sounds just about right.

If you go that route and want to do this solution, which was nice, clean and pretty inexpensive, go to Tap Plastic in Bellevue. It's  on Northup, just a bit West of the Lowe's at the corner of Northup and 120th Ave NE.

​Good tip.  I'll most likely have to harass you in about another year or two.  Cause I'm not going to remember it and writings things down are for old people who can't remember it.

• Heart 1

​Good tip.  I'll most likely have to harass you in about another year or two.  Cause I'm not going to remember it and writings things down are for old people who can't remember it.

​LOL...understood (and would probably do the same myself).