David Sweat talks

Airehead

​I have a lot of strong opinions based on very few facts, so yes.

Prisoners should not have cable tv.  They should be locked in a cage.  How many of them are truly reformed when they get released?  Would keeping them away from one another be more harmful?

​According to a report I was listening to on NPR a couple weeks ago, yes.  I'm not for coddling convicts but there is some evidence that, used as a punishment, it does more harm than good in many cases.  There are reasons to separate people but extensive time in solitary can apparently mess people up.

Only about 1/2 of the prisoners in the US are in for violent crimes.  A significant portion are in for drug possession.  These should all be treated the same; like sub-humans who can't be allowed to interact with their fellow sub-humans?

​Violent offenders, yes.  People who have raped, killed and maimed deserve very few privileges.  Maybe separate prisons?  Drug possession shouldn't be a crime, but since it is, then more of a country club type prison for them, but one where they work and produce something useful for society.  And get GED's if needed, and work training for a real job, if needed.

​According to a report I was listening to on NPR a couple weeks ago, yes.  I'm not for coddling convicts but there is some evidence that, used as a punishment, it does more harm than good in many cases.  There are reasons to separate people but extensive time in solitary can apparently mess people up.

Very true. I was watching the news this morning and some prison system exec type person said something like most prisons have a limit of 5 years for solitary confinement.​

​I have a lot of strong opinions based on very few facts, so yes.

Prisoners should not have cable tv.  They should be locked in a cage.  How many of them are truly reformed when they get released?  Would keeping them away from one another be more harmful?

​In some respects, I agree, but you have to look at the other side of the coin. As much as I hate to see them being coddled, if they don't get some motivations they won't behave. Without some amenities to keep them relatively contented, it would be a mad house impossible to control. Otherwise, I'd be all for seeing none of this coddling too.

• Heart 1

Having had to walk into the house my uncle was murdered in and cover the pool of congealed blood with a bedspread so my father did not have to see where his brother died, I would agree that at a certain point of violating someone else's rights, you lose yours.

That said, I think our system creates career criminals who see incarceration as education on how not to get caught next time or what to do different between stays at prison school.

I do not know how to do it, but I think we need to focus on rehabilitating those that want help.  It seems to me that a felony conviction and prison sentence are almost the end of a person's hope.  How do we reintegrate these people back into society?

I have lots of questions and few answers.

• Heart 2

Very interesting points to ponder.  See we can have adult discussions.  I still wonder why he won't just spin a yarn and talk all kinds of trash to people.  A guard he hated, yep say he was the one who unloced the manhole or something like that.  Reck havock with his confession so to speak.