Question for those of you who use Facebook

petitepedal

Facebook does some crazy data mining to increase connections which somehow increase revenue for them.  Most retailers with rewards programs do data mining too.  Target developed a specific program to market to expectant women.  Their mining model can predict if a woman is pregnant based on her buying patterns.  They then target marketing to that customer based on that information.  There was one case where they sent baby marketing materials to a 16 year old high school junior.  Her Dad was furious until he learned that she really was preggers.  Target knew before Grandpa did.

• Heart 2

I recently noticed that some family members of residents or residents are showing up on my list of possible friends....what kind of data mining are they doing now...???  This is from where work....crazy..

​Petite, that part is the easy stuff.  It's all based on friends of friends.  Linkedin does the same but if you take the time you see Linkedin will allow you to drive into friends of friends friends and then friends of friends friends friends……..

If you pay closer attention to FaceBook ads that appears as likes of friends you can see some data mining going on.  Yesterday I was looking at some specific Shimano bar end shifters from a small bike parts provider.  Last night I noticed that one of my FB friends had a like posted to these specific shifters with a link to that specific provider.  The FB friend is a young fairly new MTB rider who would have no idea what a bar end shifter is but the connection is that he has Shimano in his like list.  They say what I looked like and found a way to connect someone in FB to me with that specific product.

My company has a project for a client that does data mining of social media data (think Twitter, FB, Instagram) that is simply mind blowing.  Our customer's end clients are many of the largest corporations in the world.  If you mention them, they know it   instantaneously, they know if it is positive, negative or neutral and it's viewed, gathered, aggregated, reported and stored.

Are you friends with anybody else who works there or lives there? Even one person?

They love to mine friends of friends and assume you must obviously know them. Otherwise, they could be doing some crazy stuff like looking at your "work in senior housing" and others who have anything related to "senior housing" and you happen to live in same broad area, etc....

Wow...I have not friended anyone associated with my work...just real friends and you pretend people...I feel it is better to keep that stuff different..WOW...maybe I should change my name to Tom H

​Putting location and industry are enough, most likely. Maybe take some of that info off.

If it's suggesting them to you, then it's probably suggesting you to them as well. PITA to start having to deal with friend requests from them and explaining, "sorry...but I want to keep work and personal life separate".

Edited by kingtermite

There was the daughter of a resident who died last year, my bosses son who owns a different company, and some other residents...just strange...

​Data mining is a scary thing sometimes and it can only get worse with many other sites/services that allow you to connect by Facebook. If you allow it, then Facebook may be able to get that info too or vica versa (like when apps ask permission to certain facebook data).

I have a rule that I don't let anymore apps have access to my friend's list.

Facebook does some crazy data mining to increase connections which somehow increase revenue for them.  Most retailers with rewards programs do data mining too.  Target developed a specific program to market to expectant women.  Their mining model can predict if a woman is pregnant based on her buying patterns. 

​Facebook developed an algorithm that, if you're on Facebook frequently enough, can mathematically reconstruct your DNA based on your keyboarding patterns and mouse movements and clicks.  Their success rate is about 97% correct identification on the first pass.  Once they have that they know who you are and can target advertisements and 'friend' recommendations.