The story of my crash

Dirtyhip

There is some pretty fun and steep double track trails behind where I work.  Mostly they are rugged jeep 4x4 trails.  There is a downhill that is pretty fun and technical.  When you head into it the entire road is very off camber.  You head over a hump and it goes immediately into a rock garden.  The dirt is very loose and super dry.  

So, I was hauling ass down this descent.  There is a downhill called double clutch.  I am doing great and feeling very good.  I go over the hump and catch some air.  I land fine and go through the rock garden with some speed.  The trail forks after the rock garden.  You can go right and be on an off camber singletrack or go straight through the garden and stay on the jeep trail.  The singletrack is about 8 feet or so up the hill from the jeep trail.  There is a large drop to the left.  You don't want to end up there.  I aim for the singletrack, which is more of a deer trail  The thing is narrow.  At this point I have a tad too much speed and I start to head off the deer trail toward the 8 foot drop into the jeep area.  I try to brake but the dirt is so loose and off camber that my bike just skids out into the drop and BAM, I ladn hard on my right side on the side hill.  The good news is that my bike is fine.  BTW< whoever thinks that carbon bikes are not strong...they are full of sheot.  This bike had taken plenty of slams and it is still rocking with no issues whatsoever.

The end.

• Heart 2

There is some pretty fun and steep double track trails behind where I work.  Mostly they are rugged jeep 4x4 trails.  There is a downhill that is pretty fun and technical.  When you head into it the entire road is very off camber.  You head over a hump and it goes immediately into a rock garden.  The dirt is very loose and super dry.  

So, I was hauling ass down this descent.  There is a downhill called double clutch.  I am doing great and feeling very good.  I go over the hump and catch some air.  I land fine and go through the rock garden with some speed.  The trail forks after the rock garden.  You can go right and be on an off camber singletrack or go straight through the garden and stay on the jeep trail.  The singletrack is about 8 feet or so up the hill from the jeep trail.  There is a large drop to the left.  You don't want to end up there.  I aim for the singletrack, which is more of a deer trail  The thing is narrow.  At this point I have a tad too much speed and I start to head off the deer trail toward the 8 foot drop into the jeep area.  I try to brake but the dirt is so loose and off camber that my bike just skids out into the drop and BAM, I ladn hard on my right side on the side hill.  The good news is that my bike is fine.  BTW< whoever thinks that carbon bikes are not strong...they are full of sheot.  This bike had taken plenty of slams and it is still rocking with no issues whatsoever.

The end.

Some areas are more susceptible to damage than others, but most frame damage is easy to repair. My friend that is building my custom frame, has plenty of customers for his frame repair business. This week alone he took in 9 frames that needed repair. 

Some areas are more susceptible to damage than others, but most frame damage is easy to repair. My friend that is building my custom frame, has plenty of customers for his frame repair business. This week alone he took in 9 frames that needed repair. 

Most of the damage on mountain bikes is from rock hits to tubes, not from heavy use. Seat stays are very thin, and direct impact with a rock can easily damage the tube. 

Most of the damage on mountain bikes is from rock hits to tubes, not from heavy use. Seat stays are very thin, and direct impact with a rock can easily damage the tube. 

​I have some paint chips from rocks.  The bike has definitely taken some rock impacts.  The thing is a beast.

​I have some paint chips from rocks.  The bike has definitely taken some rock impacts.  The thing is a beast.

You know I have nothing against CF. 

some companies use the material in the wrong way. Hi-Mod CF is best for ultra-lightweight road frames. Low-Mod CF is great for mountain bikes. Low-Mod is much more impact resistant, but slightly heavier. 

Most modern frames use both types in different areas. When they try to make a frame lighter, durability is sacrificed. 

It's all about finding the right mix for the intended use. 

You know I have nothing against CF. 

some companies use the material in the wrong way. Hi-Mod CF is best for ultra-lightweight road frames. Low-Mod CF is great for mountain bikes. Low-Mod is much more impact resistant, but slightly heavier. 

Most modern frames use both types in different areas. When they try to make a frame lighter, durability is sacrificed. 

It's all about finding the right mix for the intended use. 

​My bike is a specialized.  They rule, and i doubt they would let me down.   Fact 9m carbon

I want this, but I am going to wait for the 2017 lineup.  <rubbing hands together>

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/stumpjumper-fsr/stumpjumper-fsr-comp-carbon-29

Fact9m means nothing. I'm not saying it's not good, but that is just a proprietary term. Specialized can make a great bike, but they use the same CF available to other builders. Some use CF better than others. 

Its all in how a company uses the material. 

Specialized doesn't make the material, but sometimes they use it better than others.