For Zealot (son's heart surgery)

Parr8hed

Ok, so I guess you were not around when G had his surgery.  He had an ASD, a hole in between the top two chambers of his heart.  It was repaired with his pericardium.  No follow up, meds or additional surgery required.  The right side of his heart was enlarged and working harder than in should.  So we had the surgery and at a little more than a year, the right side has almost returned to normal.  I am adding some pics, so scroll down if you want to see them.  WARNING, some are graphic.

A few hours post op, sitting up in bed.

midnight.jpg

Next day.  Up walking around the unit.

walking.jpg

Day 2.  Being very brave, about to get his chest tube out.

E849C7B5-5AA6-4BA9-93C4-A7EDE0F10C1F.jpg

Ready to go home.

GriffinandMommyscar.jpg

This pic kills me every time.  The first time him and his sister saw eachother post-op.

united.jpg

Sending him back to school 1 week after surgery.

C0CAF2F3-9EB3-4955-9D5A-C19C9383AB3F.jpg

F5E3D1C4-88A5-448A-9651-D5636A9272DF.jpg

The only thing that he asked the surgeon for is a picture of his heart.  He wanted to see what it looked like and show his friends.  The surgeon and cardiologist both said "typical nurse's kid".  They complied.

AB1A4FBC-9D23-4309-96D3-55490D37FC5E.jpg

Wow! Very brave kid.  The pic of he and his sister actually made me tear up as well. 

The heart pic is cool! Not too many people actually get to show other what their heart looks like !  Way cool on the docs!

Damn P8, yeah, that had to be rough. It's a parent's worst fears.

• Heart 1

Finley has this, they are still hoping it will close on it's own, but last Dr visit they could still hear that it was there.

​Yea, most do.  Griffin's was actually quite large.  Truth be told, he had 2 holes.  The shunt was so big that it did not make as loud a noise as they usually do, thus it was undetected until age of 9.

Wow! Very brave kid.  The pic of he and his sister actually made me tear up as well. 

The heart pic is cool! Not too many people actually get to show other what their heart looks like !  Way cool on the docs!

Damn P8, yeah, that had to be rough. It's a parent's worst fears.

​He handled it so well. 

We went to see the surgeon.  He asked G if he had any questions.  Griffin said, "just one.  How do you get through my sternum?"

The surgeon looked at us with wide eyes.  He didn't know what to say.  He said "tell me what you know".

Griffin said " You are going to go through my sternum while I am asleep.  You are going to bypass my heart and stop it for a minute.  You are going to cut my heart open and sew up the hole and sew it all back together"

The surgeon was really shocked by this.  He then told G about the sternal saw and the wire. 

Griffin just said "OK, I was curious".  And that was it.  No tears, nothing.  He was amazing.

• Heart 2

​He handled it so well. 

We went to see the surgeon.  He asked G if he had any questions.  Griffin said, "just one.  How do you get through my sternum?"

The surgeon looked at us with wide eyes.  He didn't know what to say.  He said "tell me what you know".

Griffin said " You are going to go through my sternum while I am asleep.  You are going to bypass my heart and stop it for a minute.  You are going to cut my heart open and sew up the hole and sew it all back together"

The surgeon was really shocked by this.  He then told G about the sternal saw and the wire. 

Griffin just said "OK, I was curious".  And that was it.  No tears, nothing.  He was amazing.

Things like this remind me of "whosoever ... as a little child, shall in no wise enter..."

Children have great faith.

I watch those St Judes commercials and am astounded by the courage displayed by such. 

Tell your son I stand in awe.

Peace

• Heart 1

​Yea, most do.  Griffin's was actually quite large.  Truth be told, he had 2 holes.  The shunt was so big that it did not make as loud a noise as they usually do, thus it was undetected until age of 9.

​Yeah, Finley's is really small, so really loud, so not to concerned still, but it is a possibility she will have to go through this too at some point until it does close up.

Kids are so much fun.

Thanks for posting these again.  I also love the picture of Em and Gman but I have a great likeness for the one of him showing his scar on his first day back to school.  I bet his teacher learned a lot that day!  Mrs PAr8 has fetched up fantastic kids and I believe you helped, too!!  They are polite and real and funny and smart and write great thank you letters!