Jump to content

Edits and rewrites are a pain in the...


UglyBob
 Share

Recommended Posts



I've never written a book so my opinion may not be worth a rat's

3a59a14d57cf1f442c1811f9c0ed1443.jpg

;)

But I would suggest from my experience many people try for 'perfection'.  Of course, concepts of 'perfection' vary between people.  The fine points one person agonizes over the next person will probably never even notice.

For at least one chapter, I'd make another suggestion to experiment with the 80/20 rule.  Take a first pass at the edits and rewrites, spending what you feel is about 20% of the effort you did on the last chapter's edits and rewrites.  I'd wager you'll get 80% of the 'perfection' you seek.  Set it aside until you finish the following chapter.

Then go back and pick up the 80/20 chapter.  Reread it and see if it truly needs the 80% of the work you'd have to invest to get the remaining 20% of improvement.

Balance the time you'd spend re-editing and rewriting against the progress you'd make by setting that chapter down again and instead forging ahead by writing another new chapter.  Ask yourself which is the most productive expenditure of your time.

Edited by Thaddeus Kosciuszko
Reason: Post needed editing and rewriting
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have the first 16 chapters sitting here filled with marks from my editor, the grammar-Nazi (WoUB). The biggest pain right now seems to be punctuation and missing words. I have a few places to add some more detail and one chapter to split into two and fill flesh out. I can't wait to get the rest back... :wacko:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...