Inspirational Quote Of The Day: There is no…

Inspiration Bot

Unfortunately, some of the quotes on Brainyquote cannot be verified and in a few cases, the name of the person behind a statement is a complete fabrication. This is a concern for those who want honest inspiration.

​...Wikiquote is pretty good in this regard.  Quite a bit of sourcing research. 

• Heart 1

Unfortunately, some of the quotes on Brainyquote cannot be verified and in a few cases, the name of the person behind a statement is a complete fabrication. This is a concern for those who want honest inspiration.

​I just read a book, The Battery by James Schlesinger, where he prefaced  each chapter with a quote.  He mis-attributed the quote "Predicting is difficult, especially of the future" to Yogi Berra, but I remember from previous exhaustive research that it was Niels Bohr who said it, although he didn;t originate it, he was just repeating an old Danish proverb.  So Yogi never said a lot of the things he said.  :)

Have I mentioned that I love Yogi?  Even though he was a Yankee.

Here we go - it was Quote Investigator where I found a detailed treatment of the subject. :)

http://quoteinvestigator.com/2013/10/20/no-predict/

Edited by The Inedible Bulk

82475-o.jpg

You see it's posts like this one that makes me feel that we have things in common.......in fact, that we could in time be good friends.

Now I can hear you saying that this could never be possible in that I'm an intellectual and a sophisticate, while you are just a brute driven by animalistic tendencies. Call me fanciful but while I know that you're right, I still hope that you might change and you could become more like me.......silly isn't it.....but after all..

"Dripping water hollows out stone

not through force

but through persistence" 

Ovid

On second thoughts there wouldn't be enough time.....sorry.

Edited by onbike1939
typo

You see it's posts like this one that makes me feel that we have things in common.......in fact, that we could in time be good friends.

Now I can hear you saying that this could never be possible in that I'm an intellectual and a sophisticate, while you are just a brute driven by animalistic tendencies. Call me fanciful but while I know that you're right, I still hope that you might change and you could become more like me.......silly isn't it.....but after all..

"Dripping water hollows out stone

not through force

but through persistence" 

Ovid

On second thoughts there wouldn't be enough time.....sorry.

...I have considered this matter pretty thoroughly, and have come to some difficult, but undeniable conclusions.

You have grown up in a literary tradition that harks back to Dr. Johnson and Robert Burns, whiile my own frame of literary reference in the educational system here in your former provinces is limited to Larry Flynt and Ogden Nash.:( Your social milieu includes the relatively common practice of men dressing in plaid skirts, not unlike the ones worn to school here by Catholic high school girls.  When added  to the long and accomplished history of public school shenanigans and the abundance of sheep in your vicinity, it is obvious to me that i would be unable to match either your literacy level or your level of deviance and sheer debauchery.

It is good to embrace one's own limitations, but I do hope to get better at this stuff with the time I have remaining.  Thank you from the bottom of my tiny, shriveled heart for your efforts toward lifting me, in the long tradition of the Empire, always solicitous of the needs and wants of us rude colonials. So far to go, so little time remaining for the journey.smiley_sigh.gif

...I have considered this matter pretty thoroughly, and have come to some difficult, but undeniable conclusions.

You have grown up in a literary tradition that harks back to Dr. Johnson and Robert Burns, whiile my own frame of literary reference in the educational system here in your former provinces is limited to Larry Flynt and Ogden Nash.:( Your social milieu includes the relatively common practice of men dressing in plaid skirts, not unlike the ones worn to school here by Catholic high school girls.  When added  to the long and accomplished history of public school shenanigans and the abundance of sheep in your vicinity, it is obvious to me that i would be unable to match either your literacy level or your level of deviance and sheer debauchery.

It is good to embrace one's own limitations, but I do hope to get better at this stuff with the time I have remaining.  Thank you from the bottom of my tiny, shriveled heart for your efforts toward lifting me, in the long tradition of the Empire, always solicitous of the needs and wants of us rude colonials. So far to go, so little time remaining for the journey.smiley_sigh.gif

My goodness, I do hope that I didn't detect a smidgeon of defeatism in your post as that would be unworthy of you. After all, against all the odds and with only the help of a whole tribe of Native Americans, your forefathers held on and in the end were triumphant. Now  I'm certain that you can do likewise and  overcome your base appetites and (though I hate to mention this) certain unsanitary habits. If you can do this then I'd be proud to shake your hand in the true spirit of equality......or at least near enough.

Upon reading the above I feel that it smacks of a certain arrogance and for this I apologise. I do not mean to imply that you bring nothing to this proposed new  relationship....oh dear me no. I'm certain that I will relish your rough-hewn demeanour and country ways though it's true that the same may not be said of some of my more refined friends. So "Buck up" as they say....hitch up your overalls and get with the programme. I know you can do it.....seriously.