Spoiler: TDF Stage 2

Square Wheels

Did Cav throw the stage?  He's supposed to be one of the best, Greipel clearly beat him, Sagan was a very close second, but if Cav got 3rd or higher, then Tony Martin would have had yellow for hi first time ever, and maybe one of his few chances at yellow.  Cav didn't seem bothered by it, Tony sounded pissed.  Cav should have won, or at least come in 3rd.  He stopped peddling about 20 feet out.

• Heart 1

Did Cav throw the stage?  He's supposed to be one of the best, Greipel clearly beat him, Sagan was a very close second, but if Cav got 3rd or higher, then Tony Martin would have had yellow for hi first time ever, and maybe one of his few chances at yellow.  Cav didn't seem bothered by it, Tony sounded pissed.  Cav should have won, or at least come in 3rd.  He stopped peddling about 20 feet out.

Cavendish often seems to let up when he can't win, instead of fighting for second or third.

He has never really seemed like a great teammate. All too often he blames his failures on others. 

• Heart 2

He went out too early, so he said.  I kind of agree with Cav, though, when adrenaline is flying and you are going for the win, secondary concerns don't have opportunity to get voiced in the subconscious mind.   Too bad for Tony, but today is the kind of day he can get his jersey.

He went out too early, so he said.  I kind of agree with Cav, though, when adrenaline is flying and you are going for the win, secondary concerns don't have opportunity to get voiced in the subconscious mind.   Too bad for Tony, but today is the kind of day he can get his jersey.

I don't agree.  It's not like this was a revelation at the very end that he needed 3rd or higher.  It was known for the whole race.

I agree with BoSox, I don't think he's a team player.  It's all about him.  He realized he was beat and stopped peddling.

I don't agree.  It's not like this was a revelation at the very end that he needed 3rd or higher.  It was known for the whole race.

I agree with BoSox, I don't think he's a team player.  It's all about him.  He realized he was beat and stopped peddling.

I'm definitely not a Cavendish fan. 

He is a great sprinter, but he very rarely takes the blame for failure. I'm surprised his teammates never throw him under the bus(figuratively and literally). 

Well, yeah, but the idea was for Cav to go for the win all along.  

On a deeper level, I think when you start changing the script for a guy taught to always go for the win to go for third, you introduce foreign thoughts in his head that aren't conducive for continued success.  Cavendish is not a deep thinker in the moment, and he is a guy that lives on emotion in the race, rather than always thinking of variables like a GC guy would.  Anyway, he is always wired on adrenaline immediately after a race, and thinks about things later.  He normally seems cool and rational the next morning, and really pissed off immediately after a race that he didn't win.

• Heart 1

Cavendish is not a deep thinker in the moment, and he is a guy that lives on emotion in the race, rather than always thinking of variables like a GC guy would.  Anyway, he is always wired on adrenaline immediately after a race, and thinks about things later.  He normally seems cool and rational the next morning, and really pissed off immediately after a race that he didn't win.

If Cavendish was on my team, I would have caved in his face years ago. 

He's a one trick pony. He hangs onto the team car during climbs, and often blames his teammates for his shortcomings. 

If Cavendish was on my team, I would have caved in his face years ago. 

He's a one trick pony. He hangs onto the team car during climbs, and often blames his teammates for his shortcomings. 

It was kind of nice for Greipel to beat him, although he is his own ass, too.

I agree with Bosox and RG both.  I think he comes off as a big shit right after a race when the adrenaline is pumping but seems humble and a nice guy the next day.  I have seen him almost apologetic more than once.  But I do think that he is out for himself.  

It looked to me like he sat up when he realized that he was done.  Probably so focused on getting first that he didn't stop to think about his actions on Tony.

But let's not discount what Fabian did.  Very cheeky riding, sneaking in for 3rd.  If Tony wanted to wear yellow he should have gone out and gotten it just like Fabian did.  So quit your whining, man up and go get a jersey if you want to wear it.

• Heart 1