Shock rebuild again

Dirtyhip

Ugh, I think I need work on my shock again.  Fox recommends every 30 hrs to rebuild the fork.  I know I have more than that.  My fork was makin horrible squeaky sounds yesterday.  The stanchions are still moving freely, but something aint right in there.  I better get it fixed soon.  

I want a new bike.  That new Stumpy expert is calling my name.  It has the Pike fork on it.  

Every 30 hours?  That seems a bit ridiculous to me.  There is no reason why a shock could not be designed and built that should be able to go years between rebuild, should absolutely be no more than a once a year thing.

• Heart 2

Every 30 hours?  That seems a bit ridiculous to me.  There is no reason why a shock could not be designed and built that should be able to go years between rebuild, should absolutely be no more than a once a year thing.

I think so too.  They err on the side of caution I guess.  

30 hours?  Heck, that is like at least every 3 weeks. I ride a ton on that bike.  I've been takin it to work lately and riding at lunch.  The more hours I spend on the race bike, the faster I get.

I think so too.  They err on the side of caution I guess.  

30 hours?  Heck, that is like at least every 3 weeks. I ride a ton on that bike.  I've been takin it to work lately and riding at lunch.  The more hours I spend on the race bike, the faster I get.

Years past, I could hit that in a week.

Of course right now, 30 hours might take me a couple years to hit.

Years past, I could hit that in a week.

Of course right now, 30 hours might take me a couple years to hit.

I thought I rode a lot.  I can only fit about 15 hours a week of riding.  That is big rides on the weekend and rides at night, or in the morning and lunchtime. 

Fox recommends (for the best performance) to rebuild our snowmobile shocks every year, or every 3000 miles. At over $250 each sled,:wacko: I usually only do them once every 3 to 4 years. But I am always surprised at how nice they ride afterwards. Something to do with them get hot and cold from heavy use causing moisture to build up inside them or some such...

Yeah, that seems ridiculously low to me, you should check that out.  I don't know how they could sell any forks if all they would go is 30 hours between service.

Yeah, that seems ridiculously low to me, you should check that out.  I don't know how they could sell any forks if all they would go is 30 hours between service.

LBS told me that is what is recommended by Fox.  The new forks have a 120 hour maintenance schedule.  

Of course, I have way more than 30 hours on this fork.

I find that suggestion shocking!

They (Fox) suggests changing the splash oil every 30 and a full rebuild every 100 hours.

If people don't believe me...google it.  I am not wrong on this subject.

http://www.ridefox.com/service.php?m=offroad

I see nothing in there that says 30 hours.

This is a 2013 Evolution float 20 fork.  You are looking at the 2016 forks. 

http://www.reddit.com/r/MTB/comments/2dvdz3/fox_forks_gone_in_four_months_warranty_refused/

2013 was a bad year for Fox.  I may be able to get it replaced.  I read there was a recall for that fork. I need to look at my serial numbers.

I still think I need to milk these through the race season.  I can't be without my Stumpy until Oct or so.

Its a "for best results" type of thing. It's like tires, the more you use them, the less effective they become. And you probably won't even notice your ride beginning to suffer until you do service them. Speaking from experience, its much cheaper to service them than to replace them.:blink:

Its a "for best results" type of thing. It's like tires, the more you use them, the less effective they become. And you probably won't even notice your ride beginning to suffer until you do service them. Speaking from experience, its much cheaper to service them than to replace them.:blink:

I have been riding hard.  The bike shop manager was saying that he suggests that I get on a Pike, because of how I ride.  He says it will last much better for me.

I have been riding hard.  The bike shop manager was saying that he suggests that I get on a Pike, because of how I ride.  He says it will last much better for me.

That soulds like an opening for you to ask for a race sponsorship.  It's not like he ever gets any of those.

That soulds like an opening for you to ask for a race sponsorship.  It's not like he ever gets any of those.

They take good care of me.  I have my name badge printed for next Summer.  :whistle:  They better get me a cute shop shirt too, cause I make a mechanic shirt look sexy.

LBS told me that is what is recommended by Fox.  The new forks have a 120 hour maintenance schedule.  

Of course, I have way more than 30 hours on this fork.

30 hours sound insane. 

A friend is riding the Continental Divide from Canada to Mexico with his son. Both are using Fox forks that have about 2 months of use prior to starting the trip. I'll let you know if they have any problems. 

3 years ago another friend used a Fox fork for the same route. Well over 500 hours without a problem. 

They (Fox) suggests changing the splash oil every 30 and a full rebuild every 100 hours.

Ok, I see the problem.  You lied to us in your first post where you said that Fox recommends a rebuild after 30 hours instead of 100 hours.  100 hours seems more reasonable, yet really freaking unreasonable, if you know what I mean.  Maybe they are looking to not honor warranties by implying you haven't completely rebuilt every 100 hours?  I dunno how Fox is on warranties, but I hope they are better than Cannondale's warranties (unless they have changed in the last 10 years or so and now actually provide coverage that they say they do).

I was just making (or at least trying to make) a joke about "shocking" and  "shocks" - I wasn't questioning your statement.  Trikes don't require much upkeep, which is good because it's hard to hold tools in a webbed hand.