Thinking about new tires for the next races

Dirtyhip

We will be riding in loose dirt.  I think I want bigger knobs.  I currently run the Ground Control Purgatory tires.  I have always loved them.  The soft compound grips like crazy.  I just think I lose some traction in the soft pow dirt.  Bigger knobs will help me dig in those tires.

I want to try the High Roller.  They are wider and more aggressive.  What MTB tires do you like for loose conditions?

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-273-122-high-roller-ii

Edited by Dirtyhip

I don't like loose conditions.

It's not like we have a choice in the matter.  It's not like I will stop riding, when conditions get bad.  The races still go as planned.  

Although, it rained yesterday pretty hard.  We have hero dirt today, but it won't last.  

We will be riding in loose dirt.  I think I want bigger knobs.  I currently run the Ground Control Purgatory tires.  I have always loved them.  The soft compound grips like crazy.  I just think I lose some traction in the soft pow dirt.  Bigger knobs will help me dig in those tires.

I want to try the High Roller.  They are wider and more aggressive.  What MTB tires do you like for loose conditions?

This chick must be new here thinking anyone can help with that question.   ???!!!   ;)

• Heart 1

I would suggest the Ground Control Silicone Injection tires.  They are similar to the Purgatory tires, except they insert a lump of silicone under the knobs.  This makes the knobs bigger, a bit more firm and rounded, but with the same soft surface as the Purgatory.  It may not seem like much of a difference, but don't be surprised if that little bit of silicone causes a lot of people to stare at your knobs.

• Heart 1

I have a High Roller on the front and Ignitor on the rear.  I like that combination but my schralpin may be a little tamer than yours.  

I need to trade in my knobbies for road tyres. :)

You might try Kenda Kosmac Light II's.  They won't do shit for lose conditions but they are a better compromise than reverse tread slicks for an MTB running both on road and on dirt.  They are more of a fire road rail trail tire.

Hey Hey HEY!  i can tolerate a lot of thread hijacks, but not one that has a purpose of turning a mountain bike into a pussy mobile. :angry:

:P:ph34r:

Oh, and THANKS, maxx! :)  Still looks pretty knobby and knarly, though!  Manly - not a pussy tire at all!

Edited by The Inedible Bulk

:P:ph34r:

Oh, and THANKS, maxx! :)  Still looks pretty knobby and knarly, though!  Manly - not a pussy tire at all!

Yes.  They are best suited for my sort of riding ....... mostly on rock dust trails with an occasional foray out onto asphalt without the performance degradation of big knob tires.  Fair warning though.  They do not like mud.

Good morning DH.

Edited by maddmaxx

I don't like loose conditions.

I always thought loose women were underappreciated.

DAMMIT, I did not want these replies merged!

The high roller looks fine, but isn't there a kevlar bead option these days?  I always liked more squared-off tires for loose conditions, but my knowledge of such matters is way old at this point.  I seem to remember that WTB velociraptors were decent in loose conditions, do they still make them?

Edited by Randomguy™

I always thought loose women were underappreciated.

DAMMIT, I did not want these replies merged!

The high roller looks fine, but isn't there a kevlar bead option these days?  I always liked more squared-off tires for loose conditions, but my knowledge of such matters is way old at this point.  I seem to remember that WTB velociraptors were decent in loose conditions, do they still make them?

Kevlar are listed as foldable.  I used to always run velociraptors too.  Those only come in 26, and they are too narrow for my needs these days. Not aggressive enough.

I like the look of the Minion too.  

http://www.maxxis.com/catalog/tire-468-minion-dhf-m301-m301e-m301ru

So maxx, how much more rolling resistance would this have than a slick?  Looks like it would be a lot!

The tire has a wide pressure range,  On days when I plan a lot of dirt I run down at 30+.  On days where there will be more road than dirt I go as high as 55.  I don't know how it would compare with pure slicks as I've never run them on the MTB but they are a hell of a lot lower rolling resistance than big knobbys.  They roll fast on asphalt and they roll fast on trails and fire roads.  The rear slips badly in mud or wet leaves.  Look at the specs again.  They are light enough to make a road weenie break into a sweat....................well, not that light but very impressive for MTB semi slicks.  I run the 2.0 size.