GPS elevations - how accurate is this stuff really?

TrentonMakes

Strava tells me my "max elevation" on yesterday's ride was 544 feet.  But if I take the mouse and hover over that route on Google Earth it shows a number as high as 628 feet. 

That spot at 628 is under dense tree cover - I wouldn't be able to see the road without the "roads" layer on.  Maybe on Google I'm looking at the treetop elevation then?

I know it's not all about the numbers - but I guess I do report these numbers and if they're a load of crap then I'll stop.

Strava has some inaccuracies.  

IMHO, using a Garmin is more accurate than the mobile app.  Overall the site is pretty good.  It is usually quite close for elevation readings.  My temp is always off for some reason.  

This is all just first world problems.  

Screen-Shot-2013-07-15-at-10.21.16-AM.png

Strava tells me my "max elevation" on yesterday's ride was 544 feet.  But if I take the mouse and hover over that route on Google Earth it shows a number as high as 628 feet. 

When this occurs, an obvious discrepancy exists that would allow someone to call BS on your numbers.

The proper thing to do in this case is to add the two different numbers together and then multiply by three.

• Heart 1