Next burger on my list...

Randomguy

http://gothamist.com/2015/07/06/a_pizzeria_serves_one_of_brooklyns.php

One Of Brooklyn's Best Burgers Can Be Found At A Clinton Hill Pizzeria

BY NELL CASEY IN FOOD ON JUL 6, 2015 2:40 PM

070615emmy.jpg
(Emily Bolles)

Clinton Hill newcomer Emily serves some of the city's tastiest pizza pies from their wood-fired oven, but if you don't order their new burger during your meal then you're an insane person. Chef Matt Hyland dropped the burger onto the menu last summer, but some recent tweaks have taken it into some next level territory, as far as burgers go. Just be prepared for heavy napkin usage because this bad boy is messy.

For starters, the burger arrives on a baking sheet, as traditional plates are no match for the oozy, runny, gooeyness of this beast. Hyland uses a dry aged beef to create his patty, which holds together surprisingly well considering the moisture factor in both the meat and the toppings. Speaking of toppings, a heap of sauteed onions adds an umami kick, while a one year aged Grafton cheddar lends a subtle tangy bite and acts as a glue to try (and fail) holding everything together. Finally, a squirt of "Emmy sauce," a secret recipe that toes the line between savory and sweet.

When he first started offering the burger, Hyland was using a brioche bun as the bread component. He's wisely changed course since, switching to a pretzel bun from Tom Cat bakery. The smooth, mahogany exterior can bear the brunt of the burger overload without turning into a soggy mess, while the rye flour and malted barley flour used to make the buns give it that signature pretzel flavor.

Now here's where I may lose you: the burger costs $21, which is nearly double what you'll pay for a similar meal at somewhere like Shake Shack but still less than the $28 Black Label Burger at Minetta Tavern. But the burger is damn good and also comes with a heaping portion of outstanding french fries to booth. The triple-cooked shoestring-style fries are blanched, baked and then finished in the fryer 'til crunchy, after which they are liberally doused in salt. Save hypertension worries for tomorrow.

"a secret recipe that toes the line between savory and sweet. "

I know I have challenges with spelling and grammar...most of it being lazy....But should that not be "tows" the line....not "toes"    for that price the reviewer should spell better than me.

But it is not "towing" anything, it is more a euphemism for straddling a fine line.  I think "toes" is correct, but we might need a ruling here.

"a secret recipe that toes the line between savory and sweet. "

I know I have challenges with spelling and grammar...most of it being lazy....But should that not be "tows" the line....not "toes"    for that price the reviewer should spell better than me.

toe the line
phrase of toe

1. 1.
    accept the authority, principles, or policies of a particular group, especially under pressure.
    synonyms: conform, obey the rules, observe the rules, comply with the rules,abide by the rules, follow the rules; 
    informalplay by the rules
    "the choice is yours: toe the line or pack your bags"

Burgers ain't supposed to be gourmet, or artisinal or feature shiitake mushrooms and vegan kale hummus.

They are made from ground beef that can be seasoned a bit and then tossed on a grill, preferably one with a real fire from wood or charcoal.

The cheese is added while still on the girll and then the patty is put on a bun, preferrably a Mrs. Baird's bun ( you have lattitude here to use your own locally baked bun, but nothing fancy) with poppy seeds, and dressed with lettuce, onion, dill pickle slices, mustard and some salt and pepper.

They should be eaten off a paper plate with some Lay's potato chips (there is lattitude here as well as I realize chips are very regional, but you need to go with a local potato chip)

• Heart 1

Burgers ain't supposed to be gourmet, or artisinal or feature shiitake mushrooms and vegan kale hummus.

They are made from ground beef that can be seasoned a bit and then tossed on a grill, preferably one with a real fire from wood or charcoal.

The cheese is added while still on the girll and then the patty is put on a bun, preferrably a Mrs. Baird's bun ( you have lattitude here to use your own locally baked bun, but nothing fancy) with poppy seeds, and dressed with lettuce, onion, dill pickle slices, mustard and some salt and pepper.

They should be eaten off a paper plate with some Lay's potato chips (there is lattitude here as well as I realize chips are very regional, but you need to go with a local potato chip)

While I agree wholeheartedly, I do like the creativity aspect of other folks versions.  Unless of course, it features a greasy donut for a bun then battered and deep fried. That is just disgusting.

Here is the description of the fancy-pants burger mentioned.  It was all this and more, I think about that burger at least once a month and have for the last five years.

http://aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/03/secrets_of_minetta_taverns_black_label_burger_1.html

You may go to Hell and I will go to Texas.