Since BoSox brought up frames...

az_cyclist

I have a decision to make.  I took my Domane in for a tune up about a month ago.  I knew it needed a new chain and bar tape.  I also had them install new brake pads while they were at it.   They called me the next day and told me I needed a new bottom bracket.  I thought that was a bit soon, as the bike only had 12,000+ miles on it ( I bought it late May 2013), but what are you going to do.  The bike was finished earlier than they predicted and it rode great.  A few days later I got a call from the LBS.  Trek would warranty the frame.  Trek had issues with Madone frames and bottom brackets, and had a recall.  They were concerned the Domane has an issue as well.  The new frame would be free, but I would have to pay the labor to transfer the wheels and components, about $250.  This sounds like something I should do, but, I was also planning to buy a new road bike just before I retire, in 3-4 years. 

thoughts?

sometimes with warranty frame replacement, the work needs to be done by the shop. 

Let the shop swap the components, and get a new frame when you retire. 

You need to keep this one as a back-up bike (with the warranty framne) for when people come to town to visit or you are getting work done on the yet to be purchased bike.

My Trek 1500 is my current backup, and the Domane will become a backup at some point in the future, as in just before I retire.  I would donate or sell the 1500 at that point, and have 2 carbon road bikes.  I would also like a touring bike at some point