I need some technical internet advise

SuzieQ

So I now live in this big old house - plaster walls etc, and my internet upstairs (where I have my office) is terrible - in my bedroom which is next to the office I can't even get on.  will this work for me?  http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436355432&sr=8-3&keywords=internet+booster  I don't quite understand it. :whistle:

No clue, but I do no I haven't had the best luck with TPLink stuff, their wifi extender I tried tended to just lock up everything.

Certainly an interesting idea and would be worth a shot at that cost though.

Edited by Indy

A quick search leads me to believe it would work.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/review/powerline-adapters/tp-link-300mbps-av500-wifi-powerline-extender-review-3491664/

http://www.tp-link.us/products/details/cat-18_TL-PA4010KIT.html

Appears to use your homes wiring to carry signal source to other rooms. Offers WIFI and ethernet.

Is moving the router upstairs an option? Broadcasting from higher elevation helps spread the signal/

I don't know. I have a wireless router on my 2nd floor and we have issues with signal on first floor. I've been thinking about a similar solution so our TV (downstairs) will stop dropping signal in the middle of watching something on Netflix.

Is moving the router upstairs an option? Broadcasting from higher elevation helps spread the signal/

Sometimes, moving the router just a few feet can make a difference.  The signal band they run in is prone to having holes in the middles of the signal coverage, while many have done things with antennas and multiple antennas to try to minimize this, it still does occur.  So some time a move of a foot or so can make a big difference in signal reception. 

My bedroom is maybe 12 feet from my access point in the next room, just moving my tablet a few inches can make the difference between a weak signal and full strength signal when I'm reading at night.

The device injects a signal into the power wiring of your house, overlapping it on the voltage and current normally flowing through the wiring.  If it's like most 'power line carrier' devices, it uses a filter system at the other end to extract what the first device injected.  These devices can work well, and you can save time and effort because there's no wiring.

I would suggest you consider:

In an old house the wiring might be old too.  It might consist of what's called knob-and-tube wiring.  You don't need to know what that is, except that such wiring could present problems because power line carrier devices are designed around more modern wiring systems.

Power line carrier systems may require what's called a 'bridge'.  If you look at most home electrical panels you'll see a row of circuit breakers on the left side and another on the right of the panel.  As long as the power line carrier devices are all connected to circuits that end up all on one side or the other, they usually work without problems.  But if the circuits are connected on opposite side then some systems don't communicate well 'across' the panel from the left side to the right (and vice versa).  This problems is cured by installing a communication 'bridge' that improves the data pathway between the two sides.  Unless you know about it, it can be very frustrating trying to get the devices to work properly.

Check to see if the seller offers a 'bridge'.  I wouldn't buy it up front, but I'd like to know I could get one if I needed it.

I would also make sure that the seller offers a return policy if you can't get the devices to work. 

• Heart 1

The device injects a signal into the power wiring of your house, overlapping it on the voltage and current normally flowing through the wiring.  If it's like most 'power line carrier' devices, it uses a filter system at the other end to extract what the first device injected.  These devices can work well, and you can save time and effort because there's no wiring.

I would suggest you consider:

In an old house the wiring might be old too.  It might consist of what's called knob-and-tube wiring.  You don't need to know what that is, except that such wiring could present problems because power line carrier devices are designed around more modern wiring systems.

Power line carrier systems may require what's called a 'bridge'.  If you look at most home electrical panels you'll see a row of circuit breakers on the left side and another on the right of the panel.  As long as the power line carrier devices are all connected to circuits that end up all on one side or the other, they usually work without problems.  But if the circuits are connected on opposite side then some systems don't communicate well 'across' the panel from the left side to the right (and vice versa).  This problems is cured by installing a communication 'bridge' that improves the data pathway between the two sides.  Unless you know about it, it can be very frustrating trying to get the devices to work properly.

Check to see if the seller offers a 'bridge'.  I wouldn't buy it up front, but I'd like to know I could get one if I needed it.

I would also make sure that the seller offers a return policy if you can't get the devices to work. 

Amazon is great with returns, I've never had a single issue returning anything for any reason.

The only issue I've had, is sometimes I'm to lazy to bother returning them as I've got a few things laying around the house that I should've returned.

So I now live in this big old house - plaster walls etc, and my internet upstairs (where I have my office) is terrible - in my bedroom which is next to the office I can't even get on.  will this work for me?  http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-PA4010KIT-Powerline-Adapter-Starter/dp/B00AWRUICG/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1436355432&sr=8-3&keywords=internet+booster  I don't quite understand it. :whistle:

There is only one answer.  Use a pink cable.

Amazon is great with returns, I've never had a single issue returning anything for any reason.

The only issue I've had, is sometimes I'm to lazy to bother returning them as I've got a few things laying around the house that I should've returned.

What aboot their resellers?  I bought 27" tyres for my wife's old bike and then realised that it has 26". :ph34r:

Thank you for the help!  I will order this today from Amazon so if if doesn't work it should be easy return.  Unfortunately I cannot move the router upstairs because of cable issue and also we need wifi access upstairs and down.  When my house mate and owner of the house is home she mainly uses her computer downstairs and also she has a smart TV downstairs.  

How come I never knew about pink wiring before?

• Heart 1

Thank you for the help!  I will order this today from Amazon so if if doesn't work it should be easy return.  Unfortunately I cannot move the router upstairs because of cable issue and also we need wifi access upstairs and down.  When my house mate and owner of the house is home she mainly uses her computer downstairs and also she has a smart TV downstairs.  

How come I never knew about pink wiring before?

If you want colored cables, go to Monoprice.com.