Public Speaking

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

Today I had to give a presentation, speaking for two hours.  The topic related to electrical whiz-clanks, construction, the National Electrical Code, lightning protection, and overhead utilities on poles.  I think it was well received because at no time out of the class of 40 people were more than two or three asleep at any one time. 

I was more concerned about the delivery than I was about the technical matter.  Trying to explain electrical systems to people who don't have the benefit of an electrical background means I can't assume they have any familiarity with electrical jargon and terms, and that I needed to phrase the presentation in terms they understood so they could benefit from it. 

It took the IT guy about ten extra minutes to get the projector up and running, but even with the late start I only ran over 5 minutes.  Which was very good, because it was lunch time and I figured I couldn't hold their attention much longer.

• Heart 1

Did you stumble out on the podium with a dazed, wide eyed look and your hair all frizzed like you were touching a Tesla coil? I think that's what I would do if I had to give a talk about electrical stuff. Might take the audiences mind off the fact that I had no idea what I was talking about.

119ysnr.jpg

Edited by Rattlecan
  • Heart 1

Did you give them a break after one hour?

Did your prezzy include mostly pictures & graphs instead of throwing a paragraph up their & then reading it to them?

Was it longer than 40 slides?

Any war stories?

Any jokes?

Crazy electrical pictures?

No breaks - not in program the organizer set out for me to follow.

I never never never never read the slides.  What's the point?  People don't need me to read to them.  I absolutely HATE it when people read the slides.  I'll refer to the slides but I always talk about the slides and fill them out.  I once attended an all day class on the 2014 National Electrical Code where the presenter read each. and. every. slide.  It was a shame, because he had over 40 years experience as an electrical inspector and he reduced it all to reading slides.

Yes.

Yes.  Naturally people fill in the back row seats first.  Late comers get stuck in the front row.  Part of the presentation was about lightning protection.  I mentioned the wisdom of the people who sat in the back rows.  I then said "These are lightning air terminals, used to attract lightning.  You're ok, though, as long as you're no closer than 5 feet."  Then I set the lightning air terminals on the table in front of me - right next to several attendees - and I stepped back about 10 feet.

Ground.thumb.jpg.d5e488c3018df006e80f8ad

http://www.constructionphotography.com/ImageThumbs/A168-02373/3/A168-02373_Tangled_electrical_and_telephone_cables_in_Saigon_Vietnam_Asia.jpg

• Heart 2

No breaks - not in program the organizer set out for me to follow.

I never never never never read the slides.  What's the point?  People don't need me to read to them.  I absolutely HATE it when people read the slides.  I'll refer to the slides but I always talk about the slides and fill them out.  I once attended an all day class on the 2014 National Electrical Code where the presenter read each. and. every. slide.  It was a shame, because he had over 40 years experience as an electrical inspector and he reduced it all to reading slides.

Yes.

Yes.  Naturally people fill in the back row seats first.  Late comers get stuck in the front row.  Part of the presentation was about lightning protection.  I mentioned the wisdom of the people who sat in the back rows.  I then said "These are lightning air terminals, used to attract lightning.  You're ok, though, as long as you're no closer than 5 feet."  Then I set the lightning air terminals on the table in front of me - right next to several attendees - and I stepped back about 10 feet.

Ground.thumb.jpg.d5e488c3018df006e80f8ad

http://www.constructionphotography.com/ImageThumbs/A168-02373/3/A168-02373_Tangled_electrical_and_telephone_cables_in_Saigon_Vietnam_Asia.jpg

That last pic can only be from somewhere in SE Asia.  Traffic congestion has nothing on their utility poles.