Wine - second biggest con in history?

Randomguy

Most of the stuff tastes completely like ass, very different year-to-year, pompous and affected people love to tell you how much they know about it, and you have to use a wine glass. Plus, they have completely hoodwinked the populace into spending huge amounts for it.  Contrast that with beer, which is not fussy, tastes great, isn't the beverage of choice of blowhards, and doesn't cost a fortune like that ass-juice, wine.

• Heart 1

This thread is not about wine or beer.  I don't drink either.  I never acquired a taste for wine and I gave up drinking beer a couple decades ago.  SO, back to the original OP.  The basis of this thread, not being about alcohol is……….  what is the biggest con in history?  THAT is what real people want to know. 

I find wine snobs better thatn beer snobs.  I am a scotch snob.

Would be fun if we could switch the alcohol snobs around.  Make wine snobs like NASCAR.  Imagine all the Dale Jr. fans throwing glasses of Trailer Trash Chardonnay as he crosses the finish line to win the WifeSwap 500! 

Beer snobs hanging out at art galleries talking about the inventive use of space and color as they stand around a painting of a naked lady on black velvet, scratching their genitalia and belching politely.

• Heart 4

Most of the stuff tastes completely like ass, very different year-to-year, pompous and affected people love to tell you how much they know about it, and you have to use a wine glass. 

You think the wine people are bad....wait until you see us coffee people get on a roll. Oh....and coffee is about 10 million times better than tea, RG, just so you know.

• Heart 1

I couldn't afford to be a wine snob.  We generally spend about $6 for a 750mL bottle (or $11 for a 1.75L).  Usually whatever's on sale.  I enjoy a glass of wine with a big meal but if I'm just having a drink it's usually beer or a mixed drink.  My wife likes a glass of wine in the evenings.

I suppose I am a bit of a beer snob though.  I am disappointed if I go to a party and there's nothing "good" in the cooler.  (Around here though, Yuengling is usually "good enough").

• Heart 3

I couldn't afford to be a wine snob.  We generally spend about $6 for a 750mL bottle (or $11 for a 1.75L).  Usually whatever's on sale.  I enjoy a glass of wine with a big meal but if I'm just having a drink it's usually beer or a mixed drink.  My wife likes a glass of wine in the evenings.

I suppose I am a bit of a beer snob though.  I am disappointed if I go to a party and there's nothing "good" in the cooler.  (Around here though, Yuengling is usually "good enough").

my beer snobbyness makes me the same way, I like a good quality brew

• Heart 1

I like that Yuengling is branching out into beers like Summer Wheat and Bock. I've always appreciated their Lord Chesterfield and Porter.

Edited by The Inedible Bulk

You coffee poeple jumped the shark and rooned your credibility by raving aboot that ferret poop stuff!

That "shit" is the real deal. It's good, but not as great as I'd heard raved about. I'd still prefer a good cup of fresh kona beans.

• Heart 1

You know, I will have a Yuengling every now and then when nothing else sounds appealing.  It is a good no-airs and refreshing liquid sometimes, and you can buy a whole keg for about a buck-fifty.  Shiner is good in the same way, refreshing, hot-day kind of liquid, as is Narragansett.

Edited by Randomguy™
  • Heart 1

no less than our new agitator-less top loader. (One agitator in this household is enough...)

I've never heard of those before (been using and preaching front load washers for years). Those look pretty nice. Kinda the best of both worlds and they look like they're likely just as good or better than front load washers at a quick glance.

And that is aboot the sum total of their virtues.

Oops, I forgot, the absolute con to end all cons is college. :angry:  All that money for bullshit.

I think college is very useful.  I used it to drink lots of cheap beer and violate lots of women, who also violated me, too.  Plus, college is a credentialling experience.  I enjoyed the banging of lots of women most of all, though.

I wish I was in college right now.  <sigh>

• Heart 1

I've never heard of those before (been using and preaching front load washers for years). Those look pretty nice. Kinda the best of both worlds and they look like they're likely just as good or better than front load washers at a quick glance.

We replaced our POS front-loader with one of those.  The tub uses a start-stop motion and it's an odd sound to get used to.  weeEEEeee... weeEEEeee...

I am not indicting all front-loaders but ours lasted a year and a half.

• Heart 1

We replaced our POS front-loader with one of those.  The tub uses a start-stop motion and it's an odd sound to get used to.  weeEEEeee... weeEEEeee...

I am not indicting all front-loaders but ours lasted a year and a half.

Interesting. I've had two different front loaders and had great luck with both.

My first was a Maytag and it lasted me about 6-7 years before I moved to an apartment that had it's own washer/dryer and I had no room for it (gave it to my brother).  Then when I got my own bigger place again, I bought a refurb Kenmore set and have had those now about 10 years.

Actually, I've had 3 pair because there was a washer/dryer in the new house we bought and we tried them first to see if we liked 'em better. They were a Maytag set. We didn't like them as much as just replaced with our old Kenmore set (that' s been in the garage since we moved in).

Most of the stuff tastes completely like ass, very different year-to-year, pompous and affected people love to tell you how much they know about it, and you have to use a wine glass. Plus, they have completely hoodwinked the populace into spending huge amounts for it.  Contrast that with beer, which is not fussy, tastes great, isn't the beverage of choice of blowhards, and doesn't cost a fortune like that ass-juice, wine.

Foodies.  Friggin' foodies.  They just piss me off.  Everyone has to add in a bunch of ingredients to make things so different, so much better.  This is a "deconstructed, grass fed burger with moose knuckle trimmings, topped with a gorgonzola cheese strait from the tit of a two headed billy goat and a demi glaze of carrot juice and avocado extract".  It's all a bunch of horse shit.

I know this will come as a huge surprise but I am terrifically happy with a nice red wine out of a box from Target.  Coors Light works just fine for me if I am out cutting grass or just generally hot.  I don't need some hoidy toidy shit that costs as much as a tank of gas for my Expedition. And I get a kick out of people that do.  

Freaking bearded hipsters that sit at some fancy dancy restaurant reciting the menu make me want to just kick them in the shin.

Just give me a damn burger with some damn cheese and some freaking bacon.  You don't have to re-invent the damn food chain.  And trim your stupid mustache.  FFS... 

• Heart 4

Foodies.  Friggin' foodies.  They just piss me off.  Everyone has to add in a bunch of ingredients to make things so different, so much better.  This is a "deconstructed, grass fed burger with moose knuckle trimmings, topped with a gorgonzola cheese strait from the tit of a two headed billy goat and a demi glaze of carrot juice and avocado extract".  It's all a bunch of horse shit.

I know this will come as a huge surprise but I am terrifically happy with a nice red wine out of a box from Target.  Coors Light works just fine for me if I am out cutting grass or just generally hot.  I don't need some hoidy toidy shit that costs as much as a tank of gas for my Expedition. And I get a kick out of people that do.  

Freaking bearded hipsters that sit at some fancy dancy restaurant reciting the menu make me want to just kick them in the shin.

Just give me a damn burger with some damn cheese and some freaking bacon.  You don't have to re-invent the damn food chain.  And trim your stupid mustache.  FFS... 

Nate?  :D

• Heart 4

Parr8's rant would be better with a quail egg and some truffle oil.

Pretentious bastards!

"The wine had intense aromas of gunflint and black rifle powder mixed with a briny note like roasted oysters. Then there were notes of graham cracker, burnt lemon oil, and flamed oranges. Massive flavors of caramelized bananas, burnt citrus, and kerosene provided an extremely long, salty finish. Maybe it was the power of suggestion, but I could taste the sea, the explosion, and the Champagne all at once—it was absolutely mind-blowing."

That really made me want a beer, btw.

Edited by Randomguy™
  • Heart 3

We were all set to buy a front loader and when the sales mutant asked why, we said "uses less water"....and he showed us the agitator-less top loaders...

• Heart 1

What can I say....other than you should get out more.

The overall quality of the wine produced has improved immensely since I was young and especially since Australia forced the rest of the wine-producing countries to raise their game. Now I know this this will be difficult to believe but in countries other than the US (there are some by the way), wine is an everyday thing and is drunk with every meal. Some wine is poor, some better and some absolutely wonderful. Personally I find it a joy and feel that I have a duty to inform and educate those unfortunate souls such as yourself about its benefits......this can be unrewarding but someone has to do it.

Beer can be good too......but not American Budweiser which is inferior to the original European one. Belgium beer is amazing with one to suit every food and occasion. 

Microbreweries are a gift from heaven and they put the mass-produced stuff to shame.