Decisions....

team scooter

Just putting my thoughts in writing here. :whistle:

For weeks I've been working at an HVAC supplier where the people are pretty nice, its laid back and the commute is only 40 minutes. The work is fairly easy and the pay is pretty good. But its bordering on boring. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing compared to my old job's stress. However, yesterday I got a voice message from a place I applied at months ago. A place that was at the top of my list for places I hoped would call. Its a job similar to my old one, but instead of landscaping its more about land restoration. Its a job I'm well qualified for and I would be good at. It would be interesting, more rewarding and a challenge. But the pay would be less to start, and the commute would be 20 minutes longer. The sensible thing to do would be to stay where I'm at. But I know I'll never forgive myself for not at least looking in to this other opportunity. I guess it wont hurt to call on Monday and set up a phone interview. My wife says to do what I want. Though I suspect she'd prefer I stay with better paying job so we can catch up on our bills. Then there's all the work the recruiter did to get me the pay I was looking for..... It was also kind of a relief the job hunting was over. Looking for a job is much worse than working a job. Decisions, decisions....:unsure:

Nothing to lose by setting up an interview.  Do the interview and sit down and make a list of pros-cons of each job.  20 more min commute with less pay would be a big deal to me.  I know that you and I are different stages in life I guess, but at this stage in my life boring would be good!  But that is me, you gotta make a decision for you.

• Heart 4

Good luck with your decision - we're all counting on you.  That is a tough one.  While I can appreciate security and non-hellish commutes, if the other job really floats your boat, that can be a big deal and might be just the ticket for you.

I agree 1000% on it being a lot easier to work a job than to find one.  I keep second guessing myself on whether I made the best decision to stay in my well-paying job with a long commute and sometimes less than satisfying atmosphere.  But I was unwilling to toss out buttloads of seniority and probably more security for a chance at a riskier and unknown job, figuring I just have a few years to the finish line.  But a few years can be an eternity! 

• Heart 1

interesting and challenging work can be attractive, but what other aspects of your life will be affected by the loss of 20 minutes and income decrease? What daily routines will change or disappear? What cutbacks are you willing to make? 

• Heart 1

I would think you could not make an informed decision without getting more information about the other company.  So go find out.

Regarding your present jog being boring - an example if I may:
I held a job at a college and did everything my job description required.  However, there wasn't anyone willing to take on the responsibility for the medium voltage systems (4,000 to 35,000 volts).  It wasn't in my job description, but I took all the projects to maintain and improve the systems and taught myself as I worked.  It made a very valuable addition to my resume and made the job much more interesting.

So you work at an HVAC firm.  They sell these gray and beige boxes the HVAC contractors are always parking up against the of outside people's houses.  Not particularly pretty.  So why not work up some simple designs to landscape around the A/C units to shield them from view?  Present them to the owners.  Most homeowners may not care, but people that own upscale homes will probably jump at the opportunity.  When you present the designs to the owners, don't forget to include an estimate of the costs and added profit the added service could bring to them.

Once the owners see the potential profit, they can show the HVAC contractors how they can profit too.  Ask the owners of your company to let you try this for six months, then work to build your own 'subdivision' of the company.  You may have to work a bit of overtime, but then again you'd be driving another 40 minutes a day to other job anyway.

And if the owners aren't interested in landscaping, look for some other 'hole' in their business where there's a potential for profit, and that's one you'd be interested in.  Just because you have a job description doesn't mean you can't step out the box to pursue something that benefits the company and benefits you.

• Heart 2

Go with your gut.  Oops.  That's my pain meds talking.  I would say though that if what you have now will work to get you to the next step in your plans, finances/whatever, that might be the way to go.  Other jobs may pop up that are better, or not, but you have something to work with now.  Good luck. 

• Heart 1

Yikes....I have never been in that position...oh wait yeah 1986 or so and the choice of working in Colorado or the Virgin Islands.................pay was pretty much the same.  

Good luck...and see what happens....they could offer more $$$$ or you may decide your present gig has opportunities unseen...as mentioned by TK.

• Heart 1

I've not had the greatest luck in the job choices lately. Pretty much out of the frying pan, into the fire. I'm considering going back to delivering auto parts. No stress, but low pay. Money isn't everything, but your well being counts for a Lot.

• Heart 1

Finding the perfect situation is near impossible so there will always be compromises.  Take whatever job best suits your lifestyle and has the least number of compromises.  

I just took a flying job that pays less than I can find elsewhere but it provides a lot of time off which allows me to work on the brokerage business and maybe, just maybe, a little more cycling.  :)

• Heart 2

Thanks all. My plan is to go though the interviewing process to see what they offer. If they called me three weeks ago, it would have been a no brainier. Maybe I can get them to hold off on bringing me on until next spring when the season starts hot and heavy. ;)

I told myself I was done with landscaping. But now I kind of miss it. And its kind of a shame to waste my 30 years of landscaping experience.:whistle:

• Heart 1

I like what TK said. Along those lines maybe you could work out a Maunual J quickee worksheet. Not go through the whole thing ($$$) but something the sales people in the field could use. Set your company apart. And right size the units

We just bought  and are installing next month a AC unit for our vacation home. You know what the sales guy asked us to determine how big a unit? How big is your house? I asked about testing the ducts to see how much leakage. Nada. Just how big is your home.

We bought from him so maybe it did not mean spit

This company sells the HVAC equipment to contractors, mostly for commercial sites. Stores, factories and such. The most we do is deliver the units to the site. Or we'll coordinate a crane to lift the units onto a roof. Its busy but pretty boring stuff.