So what is your favourite comic strip? Do you still read them? Web or dead tree? I barely do lately..

Ralphie

Pearls Before Swine for me.  I also have Mother Goose and Grimm, Dilbert, and Pickles bookmarked, but I have sort of gotten out of the habit.  That format does lend itself to binge or batch reading.  The Oatmeal is pretty good too.  There is a lot of bench strength out there!  Probably hundreds I would find worthwhile.

One benefit of the web format is you aren;t screwed any more if your local paper doesn;t carry a particular strip.

In the old days I loved the compilation books.  I have almost every Bloom County ever done, a few Calvin and Hoes, and I thought maybe some Far Sides, but I can;t remember seeing them in recent history.  I also loved the desk calendar ones.  I wound up saving quite a few of the Far Side ones.  Tried to save just the best ones, but that turned out to be a lot. :D

Edited by The Inedible Bulk
fricken' typos!!
  • Heart 1

Don't think I've read a comic strip in decades.  The death of the newspaper as a daily source of news and comics is probably at fault in my case.  Internet technology leads to so many other things that  cartoons seem a thing of the past.

Edited by maddmaxx

The comics are the only thing I read, and the Savannah paper has a limited choice compared to other cities.  But I like most of them that are there.  Did you know I was Opus?  Of course at times I've been Bill the Cat, and Steve Dallas, but that was just for a diversion.  :P

• Haha 1

The comics are the only thing I read, and the Savannah paper has a limited choice compared to other cities.  But I like most of them that are there.  Did you know I was Opus?  Of course at times I've been Bill the Cat, and Steve Dallas, but that was just for a diversion.  :P

Alley Oop here.

I can understand how strips like Dilbert can be popular (I love Dilbert comic strips) but how in blazes can someone make a living off of a strip that has been so lame from day one and is still around fifty years later?  Example Mark Trail, I hated that comic strip ever since I was a kid just starting to read.

• Awesome 1

I can understand how strips like Dilbert can be popular (I love Dilbert comic strips) but how in blazes can someone make a living off of a strip that has been so lame from day one and is still around fifty years later?  Example Mark Trail, I hated that comic strip ever since I was a kid just starting to read.

Brenda Star was only recently discontinued.  Prince Valiant was another!

Maybe it was the wimmin tuning in for Mark's rugged and clean cut good looks and squeaky clean image - sort of a non-stinky Marlboro Man!  :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Trail

I don't get a daily newspaper, so I don't read them much, but my mom will sometimes share one she thinks I'd like.  My favorites are probably Mutts (the shelter stories are very touching) and Zits.  

• Heart 2

I don't get a daily newspaper, so I don't read them much, but my mom will sometimes share one she thinks I'd like.  My favorites are probably Mutts (the shelter stories are very touching) and Zits.  

Charles Schulz agrees with you.  He thought Mutts was one of the best.

• Heart 1

• 2 years later...
2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Dud.

And you;ve had over two years to fix it!  For shame!

I just signed up  for The You Norker Daily Cartoon via email.  Forgot how good they are!

"On the Internet, no one knows you're a dog." :)  Classic!

I was expecting a post on this thread after I got a late like from you. I didn't have to wait long. :skipping:

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

We still get the paper, though I question why more each day. If the publisher wasn't a great guy and cycling friend, I would probably quit. Still read the comics in the morning. Frazz, Arlo and Janis, Dilbert and kind of Alley Oop are my go to list. The Sunday paper, I would add Rubes. I subscribe to Calvin and Hobbes and a couple others online. 

• Awesome 1

27 minutes ago, Tim Burr said:

Never a huge comics fan.  I buy a paper now and then to do the puzzles and crosswords.  The comics are nearby, so I read them, but seldom find them all that funny.  The old guy and his wife (don't even know the name) tickle me sometimes, but otherwise, they are mostly crap.

Pickles!  One of my faves.  :)  Earl is you and me. :D Now I remember - when I put a new Ubuntu on the computer, I lost my old favourites,  Need to redo them.  :)

• Heart 2

5 minutes ago, groupw said:

We still get the paper, though I question why more each day. If the publisher wasn't a great guy and cycling friend, I would probably quit. Still read the comics in the morning. Frazz, Arlo and Janis, Dilbert and kind of Alley Oop are my go to list. The Sunday paper, I would add Rubes. I subscribe to Calvin and Hobbes and a couple others online. 

Among other things, like the cost and messy ink, I always felt guilty unless I read the whole fricken thing before recycling it, and it caused stress to the missus when laying around and accumulating, so out it went. 

• 6 months later...
1 minute ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

:)

That new search feature is awesome!  :skipping::slow-dance-smiley:B)

Funny, I was just going to do a post yesterday complimenting your prodigious memory, Cheese, and saying that now with the search feature, the restofus can almost keep up with you on past events. :D

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 07/19/2015 at 12:27 AM, Longjohn said:

This brings back memories of the Grit newspaper, that I used to read at my grandparents in West Virginia.  It was full of the lamoes, IIRC.  They did sort of suck, but they were sort of neat in a traditionalist way, especially old classics like Gasoline Alley that were never funny or interesting, but just so darn historical!