The bad Samaritan

2Far

I'm glad they found some basis to charge him.

With so many laws on the books and the vague language used to frame many of them, local/state/federal authorities can usually come up with something to charge somebody with whom they are unhappy.

Sometimes this is called 'piling on' the charges.  (In)famous people often receive this treatment because it increases the possibility of a conviction, dilutes the defendant's resources or consumes them more quickly, and makes them more ready to accept a plea deal rather than fight many charges.

The guy in the article did deserve to be charged with something, and they probably didn't have a Firing Squad For Someone Who Isn't A Human Being law on the books, so the trespass charge was the best they could do.

With so many laws on the books and the vague language used to frame many of them, local/state/federal authorities can usually come up with something to charge somebody with whom they are unhappy.

Sometimes this is called 'piling on' the charges.  (In)famous people often receive this treatment because it increases the possibility of a conviction, dilutes the defendant's resources or consumes them more quickly, and makes them more ready to accept a plea deal rather than fight many charges.

The guy in the article did deserve to be charged with something, and they probably didn't have a Firing Squad For Someone Who Isn't A Human Being law on the books, so the trespass charge was the best they could do.

Hopefully there will be a civil suit and a jury.

People are encouraged to help accident victims, authorities said. “Persons are not, however, allowed to trespass into a person’s vehicle criminally and without permission for the seemingly singular cause of filming, a young man’s dying moments, for profit,” Captain Roger Watkins wrote in a Facebook post.

I never thought that people were "encouraged" to help accident victims.  I always thought the direction was to let the professionals do their jobs, but of course there is that gray area while waiting for them.  

I never thought that people were "encouraged" to help accident victims.  I always thought the direction was to let the professionals do their jobs, but of course there is that gray area while waiting for them.  

Samaritan laws protect the action of the first- non-professionals on the scene, e.g. you pull a guy out of a burning vehicle, but he ends up paralyzed. Typically, you would be protected.

It's easy to point a finger at Paul Pelton for his disgusting actions, but the fact remains that such video, if shown, would find an audience. Those who buy such video to post or broadcast and those who choose to view it are no better than those who actively film a tragic accident scene. 

I'm amazed that there should be so much condemnation of someone showing some good old American entrepreneurial spirit...........after all...it made your country great.

I am sure there are jerks in every part of the world who would do the same thing.  Jerks are everywhere.