Vibes for one of my girlfriends please

petitepedal

About 20 years ago she adopted a young girl (she turns 24 tomorrow)...She had a base diagnosis of Aspergers, but she has several other issues mostly behavioral. After going from a full time job to a part time job in hopes of helping this gal transition ..Mom is struggling with finances and depression ...Her daughter was recently told she can't return to a special needs camp where they had more or less graduated her to a helper...she needs too much supervision...she steals and she has food issues and oh the list could go on...Anyway...after voicing to the caseworkers the extent of he desperation and depression...She was informed of a possible "group home" type of situation ...  I know it would be helpful for my friend...and God Bless us..maybe her kid would learn a few things in a different supervised living situation...

Cross your fingers and send out prayers or vibes please.

Has she looked to see if Easter Seals can provide workforce support and day services?

The waiting list for group homes can be years long so your friend is smart to start now.  My two cents--If a group home is in an individual's future it is best to have them move in when family is still able to supervise the transition and check on things.

I have a million questions but this is not the place to ask them.

I have mixed feelings about adoption.  I know the people that adopt have good souls and great intentions, but I feel that a lot of those kids are there because of massive behavioral issues.  I wouldn't potentially want to take on someone else's problems (because I am a horrible person, after all).  I wouldn't adopt because I want a simple life, and know what it is like to live with a frickin' basket case.  I hope your friend gets the groupie home thing, it sounds like she forfeited her life trying to help someone else who can't be significantly helped, and I feel bad for both of them.