Fast food worker pay

Gump

No such thing as a full time burger flipper. They give them just enough hours to make it almost impossible to get a second job, but not enough to live on. 

No benefits, either.

Or in Canada under the "Temporary Foreign Worker" program.  We have evolved but not that far from the Coolie days. :angry:

• Heart 1

Yeah, but the Army guy doesn't have to exist in one of the most expensive cities in the world.

Probably not, but he is the one who protects someone's ability to make $15/hr.

• Heart 1

All volunteer services, man. Most of 'em don't do it for the money.

True, and I also don't recall McDonalds having a draft either.

• Heart 2

Sounds like NY is going to raise the minimum pay for FF workers to $15/hr. That equates to 30k/yr for a full time burger flipper. Sadly, a US Army soldier will make about 10K/yr less.

http://www.wgrz.com/story/money/2015/07/21/fast-food-workers-minimum-wage-increase/30485715/

http://www.goarmy.com/benefits/money/basic-pay-active-duty-soldiers.html

Don't enlist if you don't like the pay.

• Heart 1

This is a classic example of adjusting the pay to what people believe they need vs. what their skills are worth. 

No one's been able to answer the question: "What's the magic in the $15/hour threshold?"

Nor the follow-up questions:  "If $15/hr is so good for the economy, then why not $20/hr, or $50/hr, or even $100/hr if we really want to get all those benefits for the economy?"  For certainly if the $15/hr wage will bring all the benefits the proponents claim then $20 or $50 or $100/hr will simply amplify the benefits we're supposed to get.

Good point about the people to labor in other occupations - when are they going to get the mandated $15/hr minimum too? 

I predict that you will walk into a fast food restaurant and there will be an iPad at the counter, not a person.  You punch in what you want and the highly qualified $15/hr cooks and assemblers in the back will slap the food together into a bag, write a number on it, and put it on a conveyor out to you.  Drinks will be self serve, because it will be cheaper to let people steal all the seconds and thirds than it will be to pay someone to dispense them from behind the counter.

Think it's a far-out concept?  At the Wawa quick marts they already have a system similar to this where you walk up to screen and order your sub.

Edited by Thaddeus Kosciuszko
Needed to add some words worth $15/hr.
  • Heart 3

Nice that they are doing that, so I assume everyone currently making $15 an hour or more will get a bump in pay too then.  It's only fair.

At the rate things are currently going, soon all there will be is poor and no middle class, but hey, my wife finally got a raise.  She managed to get a 2% raise this year, first one in four years, maybe she should go try flipping burgers, soon it will pay the same.

• Heart 1

Nice that they are doing that, so I assume everyone currently making $15 an hour or more will get a bump in pay too then.  It's only fair.

At the rate things are currently going, soon all there will be is poor and no middle class, but hey, my wife finally got a raise.  She managed to get a 2% raise this year, first one in four years, maybe she should go try flipping burgers, soon it will pay the same.

When they upped the min wage in Ontario, they didn't up those already earning at or above it. 

My brother owns several restaurants and pubs and the increase in salaries was steep enough that the price could not be passed on to the customers.  The servers all make more, the owners make less.  No wonder fewer people are venturing into the food service industry.

When they upped the min wage in Ontario, they didn't up those already earning at or above it. 

My brother owns several restaurants and pubs and the increase in salaries was steep enough that the price could not be passed on to the customers.  The servers all make more, the owners make less.  No wonder fewer people are venturing into the food service industry.

Does he own any in Eastern Ontario?

This is a classic example of adjusting the pay to what people believe they need vs. what their skills are worth. 

No one's been able to answer the question: "What's the magic in the $15/hour threshold?"

Nor the follow-up questions:  "If $15/hr is so good for the economy, then why not $20/hr, or $50/hr, or even $100/hr if we really want to get all those benefits for the economy?"  For certainly if the $15/hr wage will bring all the benefits the proponents claim then $20 or $50 or $100/hr will simply amplify the benefits we're supposed to get.

Good point about the people to labor in other occupations - when are they going to get the mandated $15/hr minimum too? 

I predict that you will walk into a fast food restaurant and there will be an iPad at the counter, not a person.  You punch in what you want and the highly qualified $15/hr cooks and assemblers in the back will slap the food together into a bag, write a number on it, and put it on a conveyor out to you.  Drinks will be self serve, because it will be cheaper to let people steal all the seconds and thirds than it will be to pay someone to dispense them from behind the counter.

Think it's a far-out concept?  At the Wawa quick marts they already have a system similar to this where you walk up to screen and order your sub.

How do you do that so well...... predicting.

McDonalds is doing that on a large scale in Europe already.  The gas station I stop at in the morning has a food section with a breakfast menu and then lunch and dinner menu.  They have 2 touch screen stations and no one there to take your order.  It's fun to watch some old geezer walk up there - hit the screen a couple times and walk away shaking their head.

TK's next prediction - driverless cars.

Nope.  All Western based. Banff, Calgary and Vancouver.

Too bad, it's always good to find good places to eat. We found a place called Chez Piggy in Kingston that is awesome. Thought maybe it was a relation of yours.:)

• Heart 2

McDonalds is doing that on a large scale in Europe already.  The gas station I stop at in the morning has a food section with a breakfast menu and then lunch and dinner menu.  They have 2 touch screen stations and no one there to take your order.  It's fun to watch some old geezer walk up there - hit the screen a couple times and walk away shaking their head.

:angry:

Something tells me that if you were hungry, you could figure out how to order a burger and fries.  Remember to wipe the screen down before you use it.  The Mom with 3 snot nosed brats just used it before you.

Whether I was hungry or not, I wouldn't eat a burger or fries.  Eat that crap and you might as well lick the screen.

First I want my flying car.

I had a winged car but it wouldn't fly very far.

Edited by maddmaxx

Maxx... with enough thrust, a boulder will fly. I attribute your lack of air time to operator sanity.

But the wing was upside down.  I huffed and I puffed and I got it up to 158 one day but it simply wouldn't rotate.

An interesting story, the 158, involving a closed highway and 3 VA Beach patrol cars.  :whistle:

I hope to see the people making the $15 an hour working at FF places get their hours cut way back... If they don't I can see places going out of business in the future due to having to raise their cost and the general public getting pissed and boycotting the place. 

I know that their "food" is already over priced, but if they charge anything more then $1.00 for a damn burger, you will never see me there again no matter how hungry I am after work or just out gallivanting around. 

$15 an hour is BS for a stupid job when other people are trying to go to school and make something of their life. All the government is doing is wrecking more capital income for other business that are mom and pop places. 

• Heart 3

I hope to see the people making the $15 an hour working at FF places get their hours cut way back... If they don't I can see places going out of business in the future due to having to raise their cost and the general public getting pissed and boycotting the place. 

I know that their "food" is already over priced, but if they charge anything more then $1.00 for a damn burger, you will never see me there again no matter how hungry I am after work or just out gallivanting around. 

$15 an hour is BS for a stupid job when other people are trying to go to school and make something of their life. All the government is doing is wrecking more capital income for other business that are mom and pop places. 

So, many fast food places will close because overpaying their employees is not part of their business model.  Where does that leave these overpaid unemployed people?  On welfare.  Pay now, or pay later, the choice is up the your government and whatever they decide to ram down your throat.

The government is working on starting another war in this country... Everything they have done in the last year is causing a lot of people to lose it and want their rights back... 

The government is making a person become poor and destitute in their surroundings as a normal working person accrues more debt and I see another rash of foreclosures, higher welfare rates and more dealing out of government cheese that will soon be coming from other countries that we are now outsourcing from. The stars and bars coming down was a sad below the belt blow for lots of people, Gay marriage (which I do not mind happening) was a low blow to a lot of people, and this was all done to pass the bill behind ever ones backs. Now the government is working on taking guns out of law biding citizens homes because they feel that someone on welfare, medical issues, vets that served our country that are now disabled, and so on should not have weapons. The 2nd amendment is about to go out the window really soon along with a few others in the near future... Welcome to the land of the free and the home of the new uprising 

• Heart 1

This pay is ridiculous. FF jobs are ment for new people to the work force, college students, or people that are retired. It is not ment for someone to have a long term job. 

While in most cases I'd agree with you, there are a couple of outliers, IMHO.

Manhattan - A place to live costs a million plus.  A basic hotel is $400-500 a night minimum.  To live outside Manhattan and get to a job there requires an ardurous commute that costs money or is taken at high risk (I wouldn't bike in Manhattan if you paid me).  When you look at all the costs it takes to actually work in a McDonald's or a Starbucks in Manhattan, this is one of the few locations where this makes sense.

There are a few other insanely-high-cost-of-living regions in the US where one may be able to say the same thing.  However, in most regions, I agree with you.

While in most cases I'd agree with you, there are a couple of outliers, IMHO.

Manhattan - A place to live costs a million plus.  A basic hotel is $400-500 a night minimum.  To live outside Manhattan and get to a job there requires an ardurous commute that costs money or is taken at high risk (I wouldn't bike in Manhattan if you paid me).  When you look at all the costs it takes to actually work in a McDonald's or a Starbucks in Manhattan, this is one of the few locations where this makes sense.

There are a few other insanely-high-cost-of-living regions in the US where one may be able to say the same thing.  However, in most regions, I agree with you.

This is also the reason for a person to to get an education and further their degree so they can afford to live there. FF work is a get by job, not a life supporting/raise a family job. 

• Heart 1

People do realize the money behind promoting this $15/hr wage for fast food workers - and not others such as migrant farm workers - is coming from SEIU (Service Employees International Union), right?

The SEIU can't unionize people and fluff the union coffers with dues if workers perceive they don't make enough to pay those dues.

• Heart 2