Fast food worker pay

Gump

Well, now you are just being ridiculous.

Is this just NYC?  Not the entire state of NY, right?

I sure hope this doesn't spread across the board, because I would be bummed to make about what FF people do. Although, I do have great benefits, so there is that.

It's the entire state, however it is phased in over the next 6 years so it is probably not that big of a deal. Of course wait til the lawsuits start from other people making minimum wage in other industries. How can you select one type of worker to receive a higher minimum wage and not all?

• Heart 1

It's the entire state, however it is phased in over the next 6 years so it is probably not that big of a deal. Of course wait til the lawsuits start from other people making minimum wage in other industries. How can you select one type of worker to receive a higher minimum wage and not all?

I didn't realize it was the entire state.  The rural areas of NY can't be that expensive, but what do I know? 

The hospital here raised their entry wage for all workers.  This made the CNAs very angry.  The entry wage was so very close to what they make and they had to get a degree to do that job.  

This thread has made me hungry.  Can one of you bring me a burger?

Sure $15/hour and a 4 hour minimum. Want fries with that?

• Heart 1

So what about lawn mowing?  What does the state have to say about that as it relates to the MW?  

* ready to cash in *  *winning *

Sorry you were replaced by a goat. At least he shows up.

• Heart 2

It is whatever the market determines it should be.  If the FF businesses don't pay enough, they won't attract any good workers and they will go out of business.  If they pay too much, they may price themselves above the competition and they may go out of business.  It is called "free market" or letting the market decide, not some bureaucrat or politician. 

Wait.........in this thread you are telling me that workers won't work in a place if the pay isn't high enough?

I don't think so Lucy.

Isn't that the point of the thread.  They feel trapped and want more.  My answer agrees with yours........leave expensive cities and work somewhere else.

Edited by maddmaxx
  • Heart 1

. Of course wait til the lawsuits start from other people making minimum wage in other industries. How can you select one type of worker to receive a higher minimum wage and not all?

I don't understand why the businesses that will be targeted by the new wage don't sue.

The mandate should apply to all workers in fast-food restaurants that are part of chains with at least 30 outlets, the board said.

Why 30 outlets, and not 35 or 25 or 2?  Laws (supposedly) can not be 'arbitrary' in the segments of society to which they apply.  It will be interesting to see the rationale behind the selection of '30 or more outlets'...

(The board) defined fast food as food and drinks served at counters where customers pay before eating and can take their food with them if they choose.

If I owned a McDonalds, I'd take out the counter.  Then the law wouldn't apply to my restaurant and I wouldn't have to pay the $15/hr.  It would be cheaper to re-model the restaurant than it would be to pay the employees the mandated wage.

I imagine, though, it would be less than 5 minutes before I'd get a visit from the NYS Department of Labor.  While they couldn't nab me on the wage law, you can be certain they'd find a myriad of other 'violations' to threaten me with.  Then it becomes a matter of whether it's more expensive to fight the violations, risk conviction and a criminal record, or knuckle under to the pressure and pay the $15/hr anyway.

• Heart 1

then $4 an hour it is.

Easy.

should be $00. Milton Friedman

Aside from what the federal government prints, there is only so much money people or businesses have available to spend.

A friend of mine was on the news last night arguing for a local ballot measure for $15/hr. "More people have more money to spend. It's a win / win. Econ 101. If we value our workers then they deserve it"

I about spit out my whiskey. And we met in Accounting class. She owns a biz in Portlandia. Everybody but the business owner has more money to spend. And pretty soon you all may be on the bricks. If we value our workers we would pay them a wage that values them regardless of the Min Wage. Why aren't you paying them more than the min???

I wonder can someone come in off the street, say to a fast food place or wherever, and negotiate their wage and not be bound by law to have to accept the minimum wage if it does get to $15/hr?  If I'm out of work, desperate, and have enough pride to fend for myself, I could see myself negotiating with a business owner over lower wages than someone else in the job to get work somewhere.  My standard of living might not be very good, but it would be something I could live with.  Years ago I did pretty much the same thing, taking a 50% cut in pay from an already low paying job to get a job I saw as having much more potential than what I was doing.  Scraping and scrounging and working hard got us by.  Now I ride my bike around the island, drink PBR, play my guitar wherever I can, and enjoy the fruits of our labor.  WofTy, I do her yard work and whatever else she thinks up in the meantime.  She's happy with that.  Now if I could get her to yank this drain tube out I would be back up to speed.  :whistle:  

I hear a lot of talk about going to college to earn a living wage. While, I do think that college can help give someone a new career with better pay, I also think that you can still be successful without one.  There is no degree on my wall. My education is a high school diploma.  My life has been happy and full.  Money has been tight at times, but I could always afford to eat and pay my housing costs.   I have no complaints about my choices.  My path has had some really green pastures. 

Some people are very successful without a formal education. Normally entrepreneurs not hourly workers

That said, a BA in art history on its own is just advanced high school and without a specialty in post grad studies is pretty worthless.

A targeted post grad degree though, paves the way to a bright future.

I wonder can someone come in off the street, say to a fast food place or wherever, and negotiate their wage and not be bound by law to have to accept the minimum wage if it does get to $15/hr? 

In NYS the Department of Labor could pursue the business owner for paying less than the minimum wage, despite the fact that the owner and the employee agreed.