I'm giving away money!

Square Wheels

I have a lot of extra money that I want to give away, but here's the catch.  I either give it to all of you or none of you.

You need to chose between receiving $1 or $50.  If more than 10% of you chose $50, then no one gets anything.  The voting will be anonymous, and only I will know the final results.

How do you think we'd do as a group?

Clearly I'm not giving away money, but I found the concept of acting as a group intriguing.

FUNNY EXTRA CREDIT QUESTION THAT PITS STUDENTS AGAINST EACH OTHER GOES VIRAL

I have a lot of extra money that I want to give away, but here's the catch.  I either give it to all of you or none of you.

You need to chose between receiving $1 or $50.  If more than 10% of you chose $50, then no one gets anything.  The voting will be anonymous, and only I will know the final results.

How do you think we'd do as a group?

Clearly I'm not giving away money, but I found the concept of acting as a group intriguing.

FUNNY EXTRA CREDIT QUESTION THAT PITS STUDENTS AGAINST EACH OTHER GOES VIRAL

FIFY

Anonymously.......... just send me the $50

• Heart 1

The show Brain Games was doing some experiments with the Prisoner's Dilemma.  If both people voted to share the money, they shared it.  If both voted "steal", nobody got anything.  If one voted "steal" and the other voted "share", the one who voted steal got all the money.  According to them, in most cases strangers voted "share", although I gather the teacher said none of his classes got the extra credit.

I do not need your money, as much as I want it.  Find a place to give it locally that you believe in and that is in need.

Read a Facebook poast this AM about a local Boys home that is in need of an air conditioner.  The one in their dorm / sleeping area failed..  

All of us should request that SW send our $1 to them.

http://www.cityhouse.org/

A plea for help for the Plano boys home in City House’s Transitional Living Program, please: the air conditioning unit has gone out at the house and we are in desperate need of replacement or repair, with limited budget to handle it. The unit that is out cools the bedroom areas for our residents, so they are making due by staying downstairs. Repair would cost $4,800. A replacement unit would cost $4,582. These figures have been quoted at the lowest cost possible, covering everything. A new unit would be a Ruud 2.5 ton with a 5-year warranty. If anyone would like to step up and help, we would gladly welcome any assistance. Please contact Linda Goodman at LGoodman@cityhouse.org or 972-424-4626. Thank you!

Edited by jsharr

The show Brain Games was doing some experiments with the Prisoner's Dilemma.  If both people voted to share the money, they shared it.  If both voted "steal", nobody got anything.  If one voted "steal" and the other voted "share", the one who voted steal got all the money.  According to them, in most cases strangers voted "share", although I gather the teacher said none of his classes got the extra credit.

This is easy.

Always vote 'share'.

If the other guy votes 'share', you get some money.

If the other guy votes 'steal' then he gets all the money.

Everybody knows who has all the money.

Get a baseball bat and take all his money.

Then you have all the money.

And you still have the baseball bat to help you keep it.

• Heart 1

This is easy.

Always vote 'share'.

If the other guy votes 'share', you get some money.

If the other guy votes 'steal' then he gets all the money.

Everybody knows who has all the money.

Get a baseball bat and take all his money.

Then you have all the money.

And you still have the baseball bat to help you keep it.

I.......I scarcely know what to say to this but I'm sure it must be wrong.

It sounds very practical it's true but it must be wrong........it may just be that you should be ashamed but I'll get back to you.

I.......I scarcely know what to say to this but I'm sure it must be wrong.

It sounds very practical it's true but it must be wrong........it may just be that you should be ashamed but I'll get back to you.

How could it be wrong?

The other guy is obviously comfortable with stealing and believes it's an acceptable method to get money.  Small difference that he stole the money with a vote and you stole it with a bat - it's all stealing and the other guy's ok with that.

He just didn't anticipate that the matter would end after he got the money, and that nobody would think to steal from him.  He's got no cause to complain.

How could it be wrong?

The other guy is obviously comfortable with stealing and believes it's an acceptable method to get money.  Small difference that he stole the money with a vote and you stole it with a bat - it's all stealing and the other guy's ok with that.

He just didn't anticipate that the matter would end after he got the money, and that nobody would think to steal from him.  He's got no cause to complain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7M7d8u40I4

MC TK!

How could it be wrong?

Forgive me but it seems likely that your American "can do" spirit is taking this too far.

I'm all for a little bit of entrepreneurship in these matters but it tends to stop a little short of bashing someone over the head and taking the cash. Now you may think me a Big Jessie but it does seem a little much.

My initial instinct was spot on.....you should be ashamed.

Forgive me but it seems likely that your American "can do" spirit is taking this too far.

I'm all for a little bit of entrepreneurship in these matters but it tends to stop a little short of bashing someone over the head and taking the cash. Now you may think me a Big Jessie but it does seem a little much.

That's why you lost the war.  Don't you have a nap you need to take or something?

Sounds like a co-worker of mine. Only there was no "maybe" to all the new stuff he got after the GoFundMe account paid off.

At one point, I did think about starting a GoFundMe since everyone else seems to do it, but then decided against it as it's not anyone else's problem but mine and there are people who could use the money far worse than me.

Man, it sucks being realistic and ethical sometimes.

• Heart 1

Why? For going after someone who took what was mine?  Remember, I said 'share'.  Right away that meant I'd earned half the money.  All the other guy had to do was say 'share' and we'd split.

But no, Mr. Greedy had to say 'steal'.  That meant he made a conscious decision to take what I'd rightly earned, and to take what he had not earned because he opted to steal the entire amount and not share.

I've nothing to be ashamed of in picking up a bat to take back what another stole from me, which I'd earned by the rules and without violating (or even bending) any accepted morals.

As for the other half of the money, well that's doesn't belong to Mr. Greedy either.  Remember, he said 'steal' so he didn't earn that half like I did, he stole it.  Since I'm picking up the bat to make Mr. Greedy to give me back my money I'm going to convince him to give back the rest that he stole as well.

Some might say I'm not entitled to that other half because while Mr. Greedy didn't earn it neither did I.  Well, good baseball bats are expensive and my time is valuable.  If the original owner of the money declines to take the money back then I'm keeping it for my troubles.

Say the original owner does decide to take the money back and repeat the original offer to me and Mr. Greedy.  I'm showing up with my bat. And, too, I'm guessing that this time Mr. Greedy says 'share'.