Spear Chucking!

Chopped Liver

Not bad for hurried couple of ends before it gets dark.  20 yds with a homemade hickory long bow that pulls 50lbs at 27" draw with some port orford cedar shaft "traditional" arrows.

I think I'm going to shoot this bow in the upcoming tournament.  I haven't shot in the traditional category yet....should be fun. Definitely no pressure to shoot well in that category.

Traditional_zps9b011609.jpg

you know, since I shoot a longbow and I have geese and my cousin has a fletching jig, one year I gathered goose feathers during molting season and we made up some arrows. We separated out the feathers by which wing they came from and made up a half dozen arrows on walnut shafts and we were pretty stoked.

But the mid Atlantic is humid and the shafts warped and the feathers laid down and the arrows didn't last very long so we never did it again

it was fun to do, though

I shoot aluminum shafts with plastic feathers these days. I don't like the vanes that are solid soft plastic, but they do work well in the rain

but all that stuff you are doing there is really cool

you know, since I shoot a longbow and I have geese and my cousin has a fletching jig, one year I gathered goose feathers during molting season and we made up some arrows. We separated out the feathers by which wing they came from and made up a half dozen arrows on walnut shafts and we were pretty stoked.

But the mid Atlantic is humid and the shafts warped and the feathers laid down and the arrows didn't last very long so we never did it again

it was fun to do, though

I shoot aluminum shafts with plastic feathers these days. I don't like the vanes that are solid soft plastic, but they do work well in the rain

but all that stuff you are doing there is really cool

what kind of feathers would the native American have used?