Inaugural Ride

Zealot

Finally got everything on the Kona set.  It's been a process! Going out tomorrow morning with my son for its inaugural ride. Last Sunday I went out with a friend on a trail that I'm not familiar with and in an effort to save the life of a turtle who was in the middle of a fast downhill switchback I dropped off the downhill side and wiped and enough to crack a rib. Yay....  

So tomorrow's ride will not be all out, but it will be on a trail I know.

Pretty excited to see how this bike rides !

Wish me me luck!!!

Tell me about the bike.  I had a Kona King Kikapu for a decade.  Loved that bike.

Some of the animals I come across are not so lucky.  High speeds and small animals ...  You can't see them, until you are on top of them.  The bunny I ran over last year had ran across the trail at the same moment that I rode through.   There was no hope for it.

Enjoy the inaugural, Z.

Yesterday a lizard shot out next to me, got in between the front and rear wheels and ran beneath the bike like that for awhile, then shot out the other side without getting hit. That's talent.

I did, thanks! 

Cook lizard! Must have been bookin'! Probably showing off! ;)

At trail head after first lap:

image.thumb.jpg.026bf5b9079800e3ff3a7875

The bike climbed very well while seated. The Kona "magic link" really lived up to its claims. But standing, yeah suspension bobbing and rear tire spin out on obstacles. But I expected that. Overall the bike's handling wasn't as quick as the Mongoose, but that's due mostly to the slacker angles. The Mongoose is twitchy.

But on the downhills, oh yeah, this thing shines! It's what it's built to do. Lots of "woohoooo!" moments. And all that travel, well the bike just kinda floats over everything. Was a joy to ride! 

Verdict, glad I bought it. Will get it out on some serious downhill in the very near future. But won't shy away from using it for cx either. 

• Heart 3

Where the Trail Ends is a documentary about some professional mountain bikers and their search for the ultimate big mountain downhill riding across the globe. The riding sequences are intense, crashes included. We watched it in Netflix.

Where the Trail Ends is a documentary about some professional mountain bikers and their search for the ultimate big mountain downhill riding across the globe. The riding sequences are intense, crashes included. We watched it in Netflix.

Thanks Sue, I'll check it out. Some of the stuff those guys do blows my mind.