Is there anything tastier than really good fried onion rings?

Road Runner

wow, those look good.  I do enjoy really good onion rings, but most places don't have really good onion rings.

I remember getting the "onion loaf" that was on a lot of menus in Pittsburgh.  Like a whole mass of onion rings crammed together in a loaf pan.

Merryfield's Bar in Audubon, NJ has some of the best onion rings ever.  I miss that place (used to be able to walk there from my apartment).

• Heart 1

This kind of stuff boggles my mind.  But then, my mind is easily boggle-able.

I agree, I used to hate that from my kids, but......  I do not eat fried food, I cannot eat wheat, and I do not like onions.  I suspect there would be nothing for me to like.  Other than that, they are probably wicked pissa.

• Heart 1

I agree, I used to hate that from my kids, but......  I do not eat fried food, I cannot eat wheat, and I do not like onions.  I suspect there would be nothing for me to like.  Other than that, they are probably wicked pissa.

Most kids will only eat onion rings, not onions, so it is a tasty intro into that world.  Try some fake-flour onion rings, and you will most probably be pleasantly surprised.

You can't beat good beer battered onion rings, but forget the catchup and go fro the Jalapeno Cheese dip instead!

I never liked ketchup on onion rings - but there are lots of good things to dip them in.  Ranch, remoulade and honey mustard are my favorites.

I didn't bring enough food for lunch and I have $0 in my wallet.  I can't open this thread again.

• Heart 1

You can't beat good beer battered onion rings, but forget the catchup and go fro the Jalapeno Cheese dip instead!

You might be right, but in defense of ketchup, I have to say they are really good just smothered in the red stuff.  IMO, it is the best use for ketchup, ever.   :)

Most kids will only eat onion rings, not onions, so it is a tasty intro into that world.  Try some fake-flour onion rings, and you will most probably be pleasantly surprised.

Also, they must be dipped in something.  I like ketchup but other sauces are good, too.  Naked onion rings just don't make it.

• Heart 1

• 4 months later...

Isn't that calamari?  ^^^  Some of the best ever were ones we made at home, but it was a buttload of work.  No breading, just thin flour, so the onion to coating ratio was more betterer than a lot you get these days that are all bread.  I actually like the Outback Blooming Onion and sauce, but it is quite brutal nutritionally.

• Heart 1