Do you enjoy driving?

Road Runner

When I was young, I loved driving a car. There was nothing about cars and driving that I didn't like.  

Then, after well over a million and a half miles, much of it in heavy traffic, I grew to detest it.   :angry:

Nowadays, I hardly drive at all, so when I go out like I did today to run some errands, I can't help but notice that I'm kinda finding it fun again. :)

• Heart 2

When I first started driving I'd go for a drive just for the fun of it.  Gas for 79 cents a gallon didn't hurt.

I rarely if ever do that anymore, but I do still enjoy driving, in general - but if traffic's backed up I lose my patience quickly.  (Probably 80% of the cursing I do is behind the wheel)

Been working longer hours lately, coming in early and leaving later.  The silver lining is that the drives are a lot easier.

• Heart 2

After riding a bike a lot and dealing with the stress of riding in traffic, it is kinda nice to get behind the wheel and navigate the streets in comfort, ease, AC and relative safety.   :)

Also, no one yells, "GET OFF THE FUCKING STREET!!!" at me when I am driving.  :D

Edited by Larry David
  • Heart 1

After riding a bike a lot and dealing with the stress of riding in traffic, it is kinda nice to get behind the wheel and navigate the streets in comfort, ease, AC and relative safety.   :)

Also, no one yells, "GET OFF THE FUCKING STREET!!!" at me when I am driving.  :D

Give it time, gramps. :D  My grandfather was always cursing at the people who expected him to stop for stop signs and such. :)

I like it, thank goodness!  The Jersey Turnpike at the proper time is quite enjoyable - closest thing we have to an autobahn, I think. :D  Although it is a little straight and flat - I drove the PA turnpike for the first time in ages and I was astounded at all the curves. :D

I love the feel of a good car.  The Odyssey is a perfect long trip vehicle, the Civic is a perfect commuter, and I love driving my daughter's Fit - it feels so much smaller and peppier than the Civic.  The CVT is actually sort of fun - you can rev up the engine like a go kart with a slipper clutch and it just catches and goooo-ooes!

It depends.  I don't like driving in the city or in high stress environments (snow, heavy rain, stop and go traffic), but when the road is nice, I can enjoy driving.  On my last vacation, most of the driving was on scenic byways or wide open two lane highways with very few cars.  And since I"m adamant about not talking on the phone while I drive, when I'm busy at work, my commute can be some of the only time I have some peace and quiet.

It depends.  I don't like driving in the city or in high stress environments (snow, heavy rain, stop and go traffic), but when the road is nice, I can enjoy driving.  On my last vacation, most of the driving was on scenic byways or wide open two lane highways with very few cars.  And since I"m adamant about not talking on the phone while I drive, when I'm busy at work, my commute can be some of the only time I have some peace and quiet.

My commute time is for music.  :)

• Heart 1

I loathe driving.  I live so close to work, less than 30 miles, and my commute home takes a minimum of 90 minutes, usually closer to 2 hours.  I am able to beat the traffic on the way in because I leave my house at 5am.  I hate needing to get up that early.  Otherwise if I leave at a reasonable time in the morning it takes over 2 hours to get here.

When I was young, I loved driving a car. There was nothing about cars and driving that I didn't like.  

Then, after well over a million and a half miles, much of it in heavy traffic, I grew to detest it.   :angry:

Nowadays, I hardly drive at all, so when I go out like I did today to run some errands, I can't help but notice that I'm kinda finding it fun again. :)

I'm at something over 4 million miles having driven heavy trucks all over North America for most of the last 40 plus years. Semi retired now, dividing my time between driving and bike mechanic work. Looking forward to full retirement from the road soon. I intensely dislike driving. I wish there was a way to organize my life so I would never have to drive again.

I didn't always feel this way of course. I used to love the road.

Hate it.  I don't understand how people can enjoy it, it is one drawn-out pain in the ass from the minute you get in the car until you get out of the car, and then you realize that you probably have to make a return pain in the ass trip back to where you started, leaving you no way to enjoy what you drove to do.  

Driving is misery.

• Heart 1