So I just read this article about how cycling is killing our hearts, and it is a good read, and you should read it, and how is your heart, anyway?

Randomguy

I don't know. I do have a pre-mature beat.  A cardiologist told me that.

My longer rides are in the area of 4-5 hours.  I don't think that is extreme.

I think they mean in terms of heart rate.  If you aren't pushing your limits in that regard, then you are probably okay.  But if you read the whole article, it seems they are very fuzzy about "the gray area", i.e., what is good for you and what might be too much.

Are you schralping on a constant basis during these rides?

Heck no.  There may be times that I sprint to catch a QOM, but mostly I am pacing nicely.  You can't ride for hours and be in the red line.  More like endurance zone.  

Resting HR in the 50's here.

I'm not and endurance athlete or anything, but according to my GP, my cardiologist  and just about every other doctor in his group, 40+ years of riding is what saved me when I had my heart attack. They all agreed if my heart was not as over-developed as it is, I would have died a long time ago.

• Heart 3

Heck no.  There may be times that I sprint to catch a QOM, but mostly I am pacing nicely.  You can't ride for hours and be in the red line.  More like endurance zone.  

Resting HR in the 50's here.

Yup. Some people don't get that it's all about average speed, not top speed. Back off a little and you'll last a lot longer at a relatively higher level.

Yup. Some people don't get that it's all about average speed, not top speed. Back off a little and you'll last a lot longer at a relatively higher level.

I've been doing a lot of that recently.  I'm finally realizing I'm not ever going to be a competitive cyclist.  Crap.   :(

I think they mean in terms of heart rate.  If you aren't pushing your limits in that regard, then you are probably okay.  But if you read the whole article, it seems they are very fuzzy about "the gray area", i.e., what is good for you and what might be too much.

It looks like it is down to your unique physiology.  I used to push every ride when I was younger, really push.  Not because I was fast, but because my friends were faster.  Later, when I got an HR monitor,and went out for 4 hours or so, I would sometimes average 150+ in heart rate over the course of a ride.  Of course, I also totally detrained every year, too, so I probably recovered pretty well from 2 months of poor to so-so fitness, 4 months of good fitness, and declining into no fitness after September - October every year.  The last three years, I have had almost no fitness, so I am not sure what to think.

Agreed.  If there's one thing I taught people who came onboard when I was riding heavier, it was "You can always trade speed for distance."

Heck, my first ride this *year* was last weekend.  It was fifty-six miles.  I couldn't have done it without running for several weeks before, but I was able to do it, and do it without dying at any point because I was generally going 12-14mph.  That, and oatmeal, the miracle pre-ride food.

I'm still kind of going "Man, I actually did a half century".

Agreed.  If there's one thing I taught people who came onboard when I was riding heavier, it was "You can always trade speed for distance."

Heck, my first ride this *year* was last weekend.  It was fifty-six miles.  I couldn't have done it without running for several weeks before, but I was able to do it, and do it without dying at any point because I was generally going 12-14mph.  That, and oatmeal, the miracle pre-ride food.

I'm still kind of going "Man, I actually did a half century".

I did the same did the same thing. I wrote 56 miles last I wrote 56 miles last week on my on my 1959 three speed. It feels good to say you did a half century on a 42 pound bike.

If I'm going to get longer rides in then I need to work on this.  A little easier pace in the first hour will make the fourth or fifth hours a lot more comfortable.

I have a "functional murmur", and a scan when I was 19 or 20 showed a pinhole between two chambers - I was told that wasn't a big problem and for all I know it may have closed by now.  My BP has been great the last three or four times it's been checked.

If anything I don't go aerobic enough when I'm riding.  I'm usually pushing the biggest comfortable gear, not spinning.

For endurance you might want to look into changing this.  I think you'll actually conserve energy with a higher cadence and a smaller gear.  I try to ride in the high 80s, low 90s.

I know this, but it's hard to change it because I've been riding that way for 30 years.  I will need a handlebar-mount computer with a cadence readout to coach me through that.