Anyone interested in North East get together ride in the spring?

Reverend_Maynard

I was thinking of organizing a ride/get-together in the spring and was wondering if anyone would be interested?

Our local riding club is doing a ride that start's in Ashaway, RI, which is right on the border with CT.  It has mileage option of 20, 28 and 43.  It's described as "scenic, yet challenging, with several tough climbs."  They do a real good job of marking the road so you don't really need queue sheets, but they do have them, maps, gps files etc.  They are riding it Sunday, March 23rd, but we could do it a week or two later.  The further away you get, the greater chance that something will happen to the arrows, so we wouldn't want to delay too much longer than that.

So, we're talking the weekend of March 30th or April 6th.

Anyone interested?

So just one shower?  What if we have to pee at once?

So, you see the problem!

Attached is the old style map of the ride.  There are also GPS tracks of each of the mileage options available.

According to Ride With GPS, the 20 mile ride has 1000ft of climbing.  That's right on the threshold (50ft per mile) of what I consider a hilly ride.  So, not too bad.  The 43 miler has 1930, so about the same.

nbw060-CTcoastal.pdf

So, you see the problem!

Attached is the old style map of the ride.  There are also GPS tracks of each of the mileage options available.

According to Ride With GPS, the 20 mile ride has 1000ft of climbing.  That's right on the threshold (50ft per mile) of what I consider a hilly ride.  So, not too bad.  The 43 miler has 1930, so about the same.

How far from Providence is that?

can't see driving that far to ride a bike when I have the best riding area in the free world right here

you city slickers can get in your fancy cars and go for a bike ride

But RI is around the corner and is beautiful, besides, just think of all the wonderful people you will get to meet!

How far from Providence is that?

Providence is not that great

But RI is around the corner and is beautiful, besides, just think of all the wonderful people you will get to meet!

Providence is not that great

Shh, don't say that in front of Providence!

WoRG likes Providence, so we might stay at a B&B there and come down for the ride.  Or maybe in New Haven, or something.  I don't know, just throwing ideas around.

You have no idea.  We might see some wintery mix falling tomorrow or Sunday.  Dallas will shut down except for the uncontrollable mad dashes to buy bread and milk.

I have actually been in Dallas when there has been a dusting of snow.  At least that is how I remember it.  I think it was 80 a couple of days before, and I was at White Rock Lake then.  I didn't see a white rock, though.

Incredible! I have pictures of the grist mill on Clark's Falls Road, and have camped at Burlingame State Park.  I'll post some pictures later - if I get ambitious maybe I'll put a collage of the pictures I took up on the 'Rides' forum.  It's a pretty area to ride.

Unfortunately it looks like Burlingame won't be open then.  It's a bit of a drive for me, but then again this is a perfect excuse to go back to RI and ride.  And since it is very early in the season I guess it means I have to get serious about training all that much sooner then!

So, good Reverend, please count me as 'interested'.  My schedule changes unpredictably so I can't make a commitment yet.  I'll know better as the time gets closer.  I may ask you for recommendations of nearby places to stay.

Oh, and by the way, if anybody is under the notion that RI doesn't have hills because it's a small state and near the ocean...

Excellent response so far.  I am encouraged that it might actually happen.  Will wait 'til we get a little closer to firm things up.

Yes, our hills are not large (highest point is only 812 ft), but anything more than 10 miles inland is almost all rolling hills.  Like I said, 50ft per mile is what I expect out of a "hilly" ride, but I've had as high as 75ft per mile on the road before.

Excellent usage of engrish.  I award you 5000 JFK points.

Imz working on driving KT nutz agains, 

Sorry, Krazy.  You're high on my list of forumites I'd like to meet, but if we only had meetups that everyone could attend, we wouldn't have any.  If I ever get to Wisconson, I'll be sure to let you know.

Please do! The house is always open, beer is cold, and great locations to ride! 

Sorry, Krazy.  You're high on my list of forumites I'd like to meet, but if we only had meetups that everyone could attend, we wouldn't have any.  If I ever get to Wisconson, I'll be sure to let you know.

I have met Krazy, he is krazy.  He was at my wedding, doncha know.  So was Couch, who now wants nothing to do with either of us.

Sweet.  Now you just have to find me some work to do in Milwaukee!

Any Seafood or Meat distributors looking for software out there? :D

very doubtful! These yokels don't know what a clambake is.. I put one on late September and a few of the guest's were still confused, so I told them to STFU and eat :)