The Iron Maiden voyage

Chris...

I discovered that video about 2 years ago.  It's great.  I had actually put that band in the rear view mirror but what a treat it was to have them re-emerge some 15-20 years later.

Same here. I grew up listening to them. I think they sound better than ever live.

I think seeing Bruce wailing on the vocals as a clean cut rocker is a nice touch too.  I read in an interview that he was performing with a bunch of young musicians when he embarked on his solo career and had a group photo -- and he was the old man with a gray scraggly beard.  He said he felt out of place and decided it was time to cut it off..

I love that movie. I've watched it several times. Funny thing about those guys, for me, is that I was never a huge fan. I had friends that were really into them and I was always like "Eh, they're OK..."

But live they are awesome and I'd go see them again, in a heartbeat.

• Heart 1

I was basically told by my best friend -- if you got into Maiden -- you wouldn't get the chicks.  Well, there were chicks but not the 'ones we were shooting for'.  Anyway, that has nothing to do with anything.  I saw them open up for the Scorpions and they were always a second act in my view.  I owned 3 of their albums but then got to college and decided it was time to graduate from the juvenile thing and basically dismissed them.  Then one day I'm sitting with my wife some 20 years later and The Rime of the Ancient Mariner comes on satellite radio.  I must tell you it sounded better than ever.  It was then I started researching them online -- thinking they had dissolved years ago -- and much to my surprise I found this Flight 666 tour.  It's a really great film.  It's totally rejuvenated my interest in them and it was a hell of a PR deal move.  I'm probably more interested in them now than I ever was.